I took the wheelset to the local motorcycle store to get the gazelles remounted. After dealing with so many arrogant Local Bike Stores, I wasn't looking forward to it, but the motorcycle store was much more welcoming. One guy recognized it as an ebike motor, and I only felt a little awkward asking them to make sure the 40lb motor didn't tip over and smash off the axle. It turns out the rim strips were torn up and needed to be replaced, as JRH surmised, so $ 81 later, I had functional wheels. (funny note - I hadn't heard of rim tape described as rim strips, so I pictured some motorcycle convention that adhered the bead to the rim).
I had a screw-on freewheel from ebikes.ca, but I think I gave it away. I bought another one on ebay, and after carefully making sure that it was the right diameter to screw on, the spacing of the teeth is wrong. If anyone knows what I should have ordered for standard 7-speed chain from my Tidalforce brakes, I'd really appreciate the tip. So the current freewheel keeps the chain off the side covers, but isn't effective for pedalling.
I got a 3-speed switch from Lyen, and a cruise control. I worked out the 3-speed switch by ohming it out (will post later for my own reference), but I had more trouble wtih the Lyen Cruise control. Worse, when I cut the cord short, I found (2) red wires, and (2) black wires. If anyone knows if whether yellow or white is brake or throttle, and whether I can just hook up both reds and both blacks, I can really use the help.
So right now, everything is wired up and connected except for the cruise control, so here are some pics I grabbed with the last rays of twilight. It is a heavy build, but I can still barely pick it up with one hand, so maybe 100 lbs; that weight comes across as a simply solid build. Interestingly, when I do, it balances right at the A-Line label on the top tube, right over the cranks; the heavy rear wheel and heavy front battery+wheel seem to balance each other out. The Luminator just rocks.
I took it out for a spin but I think the programming I was experimenting with was giving me problems, it had very little power. I have that to play with, plus the whole V3 throttle experience to integrate and experiment with, the rear sprocket, and of course the 3-speed switch to finish before I can label it as complete. It looks very Super-Motard with the smaller wheels, and looks/feels very motorcycle when moving it around; everything is so oversized on this build, it all kinda balances out so you lose that ginormas feeling it gives in person. Although it has extra bits hanging off, I think it looks pretty stealthy.