The Workhorse

Eric G

1 kW
This is my ebike I've had for around 3 years. It's a folding ebike 250 watt motor,36 volt,10 to 15ampController,20Km/Hr
I use it for all my transport and it's carried many pounds of groceries and tons of other stuff.It has allways worked reasonably well and haven't had any real breakdowns other than a flat tire and a small piece of the throttle chipping off. When that happened I hadn't noticed it and when I got off the bike it decided to lurch forward and spin me around but no harm done.

The Batteries and controller fit in the key locked can it has a receptical on the top of the can for charging. Power is turned on by a key behind the seat. It also has a battery meter and on/off switch on the handlebars.It's quite sturdy and rides suprisingly well. It'll soon be changing as I'll be adding my new DC Crystalyte hub motor in place of the original rear wheel.If I'm not happy with the new 36v 25amp Crystalyte controller,I'll up the batteries to 48 volts and use my other Crystalyte 48v 35 amp controller.

I know I posted a pic of this bike allready in the "New Crystalyte Motor" thread but that pic really sucks and didn't do it any justice,so here are these...

Eric

Attachments

• The Workhorse 02.jpg
    The Workhorse 02.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 2,243
  • The Workhorse 03.jpg
    The Workhorse 03.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 2,243
  • The Workhorse 04.jpg
    The Workhorse 04.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 2,242
  • The Workhorse 01.jpg
    The Workhorse 01.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 2,244
Thanks for posting the pictures. Great that you've gone 3 years with no real breakdowns. Did you say you've had one flat in 3 years? You should buy lottery tickets!

How many km do you suppose you've ridden?

A conservative estimate is around 3000 kilometers.It's never ridden off road and I avoid glass like the plague.The flat I did have was a slow leak caused by the tire. When fixing the flat I noticed the tube looked as though it was abraded on a one inch area so I inspected the inside of the tire.On the inner side of the tire I found the ribbing in one area rather rough.I cut a piece of an old inner tube to more than cover that area and rubber cemented it in,patched the tube and it's been fine ever since.Don't know what caused this,perhaps it's because the tires are rated for 35 to 40 psi. and I fill em up to 50 to 53 psi. or just a poorly made tire.

Eric

Looks like a great little ride that might be small enough to take inside stores like Matt here does. Have you ever tried that, or do you leave it outside when shopping?

I can't help but notice you've still got a ton of room on your frame for more batteries! Without a fat stock of batteries, it's just space going to waste! Ha Ha.

Really, you'd go for yet more weight?

I noticed the weight wastage of two chains going to the back wheel.
The motor chain could be shortened by crank-driving.

Nope,don't take it into any stores,I lock it up out side with a fat chain and a hardened steel padlock. I usually lock it up in a well travelled area. I know if they really wanted it they could take it,but less likely with people walking by all the time.

More batteries Nawwwwww, I'm just a middle aged cripple lookin' to get from here to there and back the cheapest way possible. Thank goodness the area where I live has malls popping up all around and the distance to these places is close enough for 7 or 9ah battery use.

Speaking of cranks,I do have to get another one,as it is right now it's geared so my legs are going 50kmh while the motor is topped out at 20kmh. When I finally get the Crystalyte motor in,I have to change the crank to keep up with the added speed.I've got an older Raliegh Century 18speed in the garage and I'll be removing it's crank,pedals ,Shimano derailer and shifter to put on the workhorse. Hopefully that will put motor/pedal ratio in better sync.

I'm just a middle aged cripple

Aren't all middle-aged people? :)

(I just joined the almost-an-old-fart club this year...not thrilled about it! My right knee began hurting from all my recent pedaling. That's NOT supposed to happen! Never happened before I turned 35...)

Back