8000 Watt recumbent ebike- 0-60 km/h in 3.5 s

JL!

100 µW
Hi everyone,
this has been my free time project for several months now, and finally it's finished. although I didn't post anything about the work in progress here, I still got some ideas from reading the posts in this forum. so thank you everyone and now enjoy the show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g8BRyLaQgg

Nice! Would you mind posting some details of the bike for us?

Motor type, battery type and capacity, type of Kelly controller etc? Just for curiosity.

the controller is KEB48600, max amp 300 @ 44.4 V nominal Voltage ( 8x6s5000mah Hobbyking Lipos).
THe higher gearing would be a cool idea, but I would have to buy the sprocket from the usa, which would cost me around 50 € with shipping and so on. The motor is a MARS EECTRIC PMAC ME0907.
Has anybody ideas how to get an accreditation for it? I live in Germany, and I could derate it to 45km/h , but it still seems to be pretty difficult.

JL! said:
the controller is KEB48600, max amp 300 @ 44.4 V nominal Voltage ( 8x6s5000mah Hobbyking Lipos).
THe higher gearing would be a cool idea, but I would have to buy the sprocket from the usa, which would cost me around 50 € with shipping and so on. The motor is a MARS EECTRIC PMAC ME0907.
Has anybody ideas how to get an accreditation for it? I live in Germany, and I could derate it to 45km/h , but it still seems to be pretty difficult.

Hey JL,

you state 8000W in the subject, you are using a 300A controller at 44V.4V. Now 300A * 44.4V is over 13KW input. So where does the 8KW come from? Are you running the controller at a lower current? Or is the 8KW figure the rated output power of the motor or something? Just curious :)

CM

actually I've never measured the actual current draw and the output power, therfore 8000 Watts is just an educated guess, cause of losses in the motor and in the chain between motor and rearwheel. Maybe it's even more, just took the lowest number that sounded realistic. and Somehow 8000 sounds really much. Probably the power level is actually OVER 9000 !!!;)
Also the controller can only maintain 300 amps for 30 secs ( but I need something like 4 secs to accelerate^^)

I've just found out that the PEAK phase current is 300 amp, thats way Kelly says that It only needs 70% battery current, which is the average of a sine wave. THerefore the peak battery current is 210 amp and the peak input power is 9300 Watt, so the output maybe around 8000 Watt peak probably.

"I have never tried a recumbent so far, they gotta be comfortable."

I have ridden many thousands of miles on uprights since the late '60's, along with recumbents since the mid '80's. I have built, bought, and ridden every style of recumbent there is, in mountainous terrain. Nothing beats a recumbent for comfort. Nothing beats a high bottom bracket recumbent for aerodynamics. No recumbent will match an upright for climbing. The small disadvantage while climbing is a function of human physiology. This is not an issue on an electric bike. Electric recumbent bikes, and motorcycles make too much sense to continue to be ignored.

"I have never tried a recumbent so far, they gotta be comfortable."

I have ridden many thousands of miles on uprights since the late '60's, along with recumbents since the mid '80's. I have built, bought, and ridden every style of recumbent there is, in mountainous terrain. Nothing beats a recumbent for comfort. Nothing beats a high bottom bracket recumbent for aerodynamics. No recumbent will match an upright for climbing. The small disadvantage while climbing is a function of human physiology. This is not an issue on an electric bike. Electric recumbent bikes, and motorcycles make too much sense to continue to be ignored.
I kinda agree with you pal... But i have never seen one in my country, not in the street not at malls either, not even at local web stores. As a matter of fact i have only seen a real one once in my life, last summer in london.
Now you see why i never tried one... And probably i will not for a while.

Recumbents do make lots of sense in relation comfort and aerodynamics. However bikes are hard enough for motorists to see out on the roads without the bike then sitting below the normal line of vision. I think I would be constantly very nervous out on the road riding one of these.

Kepler said:
Recumbents do make lots of sense in relation comfort and aerodynamics. However bikes are hard enough for motorists to see out on the roads without the bike then sitting below the normal line of vision. I think I would be constantly very nervous out on the road riding one of these.
As you can see in the video, my bike isn't really extrem recumbent, so you can easiliy see around and what's in the front. Still very comfortable!

"However bikes are hard enough for motorists to see out on the roads without the bike then sitting below the normal line of vision. I think I would be constantly very nervous out on the road riding one of these.

It depends on the bike. High racers are at least as visible as uprights. And I can look a driver right in the eye on one. That is harder to do, and stay aero, on an upright.

http://www.volaerecumbents.com/2011/images/df_vs_volae.jpg

Warren said:
"However bikes are hard enough for motorists to see out on the roads without the bike then sitting below the normal line of vision. I think I would be constantly very nervous out on the road riding one of these.

It depends on the bike. High racers are at least as visible as uprights. And I can look a driver right in the eye on one. That is harder to do, and stay aero, on an upright.

http://www.volaerecumbents.com/2011/images/df_vs_volae.jpg

But the fact remains that if they are more aero (less frontal area), you are not as well seen. Height is a different matter. A mid racer with a bright yellow or orange tailbox, and/or a high visability jacket should fix that visability issue though.

You still need to expect everyone will drive at you. I wear a solid red (fire engine) jacket and still get motorists 'not seeing' me at intersections (4 way stop) on my upright. I even have a blinding (literally, if you look directly at it) flashing headlight at night and still get left crossed at intersections. People are effin dumb behind the wheel. And they are NOT looking for anything other than cars. Ask a motorcyclist, they will agree.

"But the fact remains that if they are more aero (less frontal area), you are not as well seen."

Not my experience. People's brains are filtering for size (is it big enough to hurt me?), and novelty (what the hell is that?). On my uprights, I am invisible. My recumbents are still odd enough for most people to actually look. And out here in the country, a recumbent cruising along at 20+ mph is like a UFO. People come up behind me, back off, and follow, baffled, for miles. :)

Hitting anything in the road as large as us on our recumbents will damage most vehicles, so yes they can see us just fine and being an oddity, we're actually more seen. What we do have to be especially careful about, just like on a bike, is when another vehicle obscures us. I hope you don't truly expect cars to see you on a bike just because your head is sticking up above the car in front giving you clear line of sight of them, since only small portions of you a visible. I avoid those positions or follow so close just off one of the rear corners of the car in front that it's impossible the cars to hit me even if they can't see me.

Granted, along the side of a car a recumbent is harder to see than a bike, but that's a dangerous spot that I also avoid in any vehicle, since you never know when the idiot will turn.

My only complaint about a very recumbent position is the requirement of mirrors, because it's impossible to turn your head and look.

John

Cool build, doing arm chair wheelies looks like a whole new dimension of fun :lol:

Out of curiosity, where else did you post this video ? This thread has 500 views but the clip on youtube has over 37,000 in just a few days which is pretty impressive.

Lebowski said:
if you're worried about being visible in traffic on a low bike, why not get a bicycle flag like you can get for kids bikes ?

Looks awful IMO. Maybe if you could 'retract' for when not in traffic.

Back