Its been a long while since I've had time to update but I feel that its good practice (however late) to keep a rolling list of upgrades or mods so that others can evaluate and learn from the collective knowledge pool.
So here goes.Historical
Going back to the original greentime controller fails, it turns out that when my phase wires melted, it shorted with one of the hall sensor sense wires. Interestingly enough, it only damaged the single input pin on the cpu. I tried a cpu swap from a hua tong but without a heat gun its pretty difficult. I actually managed to get it operational, but it exhibited a lot of jerky behavior. I eventually discovered that several vias on the board had been partially vaporized and after repairing several of them under the cpu, I ran out of room for "vias" (drill a hole and drip solder through) and had to scrap the board.
I ended up getting a 18 mosfet 4115 controller from Lyen. I regret not getting a 4110 but my reasoning behind still stands: I don't want to run components at their rated limit. I'm still running 24s but now I have the option of going to 28 or 32s. Also, I have to admit that I thought that the programming ability was very overrated but after having that ability to flash and re-flash my controller rapidly I've decided that its a huge advantage over having to open it up and solder changes. I also have a backup 15 mosfet chinese controller now in case I blow a mosfet on the Lyen.
After putting a couple hundred miles on the bike with the new controller, I had a I had a rim shearing incident. The cheap chinese rack that came with my starter kit fell apart en route to school and one of the support beams got caught in the spokes. As a testament to the strength of the 12 gauge spokes, they tore cleanly out of the rim and were in good shape. After a week and 40 dollars, I was back! This was solely to the collective knowledge of the 'sphere. if I had gone to the local bike shop it would have cost me over 200 dollars and I would have been bikeless for 2 weeks! I really recommend watching ypedal's video
on relacing/rebuilding wheels. It was very helpful. Also Eighthinch's Bueler rim
is a perfect match for golden motor's rim because of its ERD, width and construction.
After that incident, I wanted to move my big pack (24s 10ah) into the triangle because I didn't want to ever deal with a rear mounted battery (handling was horrible). So using only dp460 (slightly better characteristics than dp420
) I made myself a battery mount. It has 4 bolts that allows me to remove it completely from the bike in minutes and also allows me to securely mount my controller mosfet side facing out.
To be replaced with better pictures
The only reason that I made such an elaborate / bulky system is because I really don't have any tools on me and dp460 is really the way to go when your frame is aluminum.
I also implemented a Dr.Bass/Tench style charging/balancing system using DB-37 connectors. The difference between 1 plug and 18 plugs is ... well, 18 times better Observations
DB37 connectors are really easy to work with, would recommend.
Magnet wire is a great way to upgrade phase wires, also would recommend.
Cycle Analyst is really only priced that way because its the only game in town. Arduino + Android is the way to go.
The stock fork on the genesis is S#*t.Planned UpgradesJeremy/Kfong soft start systemFull implementaing of Tench's run plug system
Onboard charger (zero style cabling)
Arduino + Android
I've put nearly 500 more miles on the bike. Here is to thousands more