The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Show off your E-bike creation here.

Re: The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Postby bzhwindtalker » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:21 pm

I can't see how a mid mounted motor could be worst than a wheel mounted motor...

The swingarm I built failed too, badly engineered and d
oing huge jumps...

Last edited by bzhwindtalker on Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
bzhwindtalker
100 kW
100 kW
 
Posts: 1307
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Lyon, France

Re: The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Postby amberwolf » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:29 pm

I like that setup...but I would ask that next time you take pics, you take them of the sunny side of the bike. ;)
Got a question that isn't personal or private? Post it in the forums, don't PM it. ;)

Wiki your techy info so it doesn't get old, lost and icky:
http://endless-sphere.com/w


Full-Suspension Semi Recumbent Cargo Bike - NuVinci MidDrive
Semi-Recumbent Recycled-Parts Cargo eBike: "CrazyBike2"
DayGlo Avenger, MkII


House Fire Updates Thread
User avatar
amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
 
Posts: 15690
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:43 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Re: The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Postby bzhwindtalker » Mon May 07, 2012 1:54 am

This is my new signiature video :

User avatar
bzhwindtalker
100 kW
100 kW
 
Posts: 1307
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Lyon, France

Re: The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Postby spinningmagnets » Sat May 26, 2012 7:56 am

From Rassy, please note that Rassy has the mid-drive motor use the BOTTOM of the freewheel to add power to the chain...

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=18606
Image

Same guy, different trike:

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=47043
Image
Last edited by spinningmagnets on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
User avatar
spinningmagnets
100 GW
100 GW
 
Posts: 6746
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:27 pm
Location: Ft Riley, NE Kansas

Re: The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Postby spinningmagnets » Sat May 26, 2012 9:20 am

The M55, I know this is a low-production / high-Euro bike (Ferrari?) but I'd like to add it here simply because it shows that a well-researched project that can afford to do whatever it wants has studied E-bike drive systems,...and came to the conclusion that a hub driving the Bottom-Bracket (BB) is the best they could come up with.

In the interests of full-disclosure, I am working as a copy-editor (spell-checker?) for the electricbike.com web-magazine, and I have nothing to sell.

http://www.electricbike.com/m55/
Image
User avatar
spinningmagnets
100 GW
100 GW
 
Posts: 6746
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:27 pm
Location: Ft Riley, NE Kansas

Re: The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Postby spinningmagnets » Sat May 26, 2012 11:44 am

From LI-ghtcycle, I know this hub-as-a-non-hub is mounted to the cargo rack, but...it seemed appropriate, since I'm thinking this thread will become a magnet for non-hub research. Its a 9C driving a right-side chain to a twin-sprocket NuVinci hub. Claiming high efficiency, very believable.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25082
Image
User avatar
spinningmagnets
100 GW
100 GW
 
Posts: 6746
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:27 pm
Location: Ft Riley, NE Kansas

Re: The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Postby spinningmagnets » Sat May 26, 2012 11:53 am

User avatar
spinningmagnets
100 GW
100 GW
 
Posts: 6746
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:27 pm
Location: Ft Riley, NE Kansas

Re: The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Postby spinningmagnets » Sat May 26, 2012 12:00 pm

John in CRs bike had the rear suspension arm welded with an extension to make room for an easier install of the mid-drive. For those who don't have access to a welder, I was able to make a longtail full suspension by attaching the BB-axle of an MTB rear-sus arm to the drop-outs of a hardtail. It was easier than I thought it would be. I can fit a 10-inch diameter skillet in the extra space, so an 8-inch geared hub would easily fit.

Image
User avatar
spinningmagnets
100 GW
100 GW
 
Posts: 6746
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:27 pm
Location: Ft Riley, NE Kansas

Re: The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Postby bandaro » Sat May 26, 2012 9:51 pm

So I am seriously considering a hub mid drive to replace an outrunner for my next build, as I am currently having problems with snapping chains and tearing sprockets with my current build, the noise is tolerable, but I want something that is perfectly reliable.

So the reason I am avoiding a hub is the weight, currently the reduction for my 63-74 is well shy of 2kg all told, inc. motor (except crank/freewheel weight) and would take up a similar/smaller space to a hub motor. So as a result of the weight loss, I have a few kw in a bike well under 20kg, with 500wh of lifepo4. I am wanting a dual suspension, with lipo, and pretty sure I will be able to get the setup for under 6kg extra, but I hear that hub motors are very heavy, and the motor itself will be 6kg....

Never owned a hub, so don't know the weight for sure, but what would be the lightest hub that will push out 3-4kw? I am happy to overvolt it if it will handle it, just literally looking for the lightest way to get a hub running, so I can use all the hub motor components for reliability, and an off the shelf freewheel and bike chain going to the cranks. End result MUST be compact and clean.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm sure if there is a suitable motor out there, someone here knows it.
User avatar
bandaro
100 W
100 W
 
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:17 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

Re: The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Postby spinningmagnets » Sat May 26, 2012 11:32 pm

Geared hubs are common, and they are noticeably smaller in diameter than the direct-drive 9C-style of hubs. If you want the silence of a DD and you also want the small diameter of the geared hubs, Crystalyte no longer carries the 40X-series, but they do now carry the "G-series".

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34203
Image
User avatar
spinningmagnets
100 GW
100 GW
 
Posts: 6746
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:27 pm
Location: Ft Riley, NE Kansas

Re: The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Postby briogio » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:46 pm

Couldn't figure out how to subscribe, so I'll just post.

After reading Green Machine's excellent review of the Hannebrink mid-drive, I've decided to build a mid-drive, fat tired Ebike myself.

Last year I bought a nice minibike with 19" X 7" tires which isn't far from the Hannebrinks 20" X 8" tires, of course it's built in China from crap steel, (heavy as hell), but it'll make welding brackets easy. It has HUGE frame space, right now partially filled with a Honda 200cc generator/go-kart copy motor. Thing is I paid $249 for it brand new!, and I could probably sell the motor for close to that, it even has a suspended seat which I bought a Rock Shox air shock for. Anyway it'll be my mid-drive concoction, minimal noise will be a build must, stealth is crucial to the covert riding tactics I must operate under. Since my first Ebuild was with a BMC V2T, I was thinking of a V3 or 4. I'll have to make some kind of intermediate cassette gearing because I think it would be pretty complicated to change my rear single sprocket into a cassette. Anyway looking forward to watching your creations come to life as I'm building mine :D .
User avatar
briogio
100 W
100 W
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:16 pm
Location: Cookstown, Ontario, Canada.

Re: The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Postby sn0wchyld » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:04 pm

briogio wrote:Couldn't figure out how to subscribe, so I'll just post.

After reading Green Machine's excellent review of the Hannebrink mid-drive, I've decided to build a mid-drive, fat tired Ebike myself.

Last year I bought a nice minibike with 19" X 7" tires which isn't far from the Hannebrinks 20" X 8" tires, of course it's built in China from crap steel, (heavy as hell), but it'll make welding brackets easy. It has HUGE frame space, right now partially filled with a Honda 200cc generator/go-kart copy motor. Thing is I paid $249 for it brand new!, and I could probably sell the motor for close to that, it even has a suspended seat which I bought a Rock Shox air shock for. Anyway it'll be my mid-drive concoction, minimal noise will be a build must, stealth is crucial to the covert riding tactics I must operate under. Since my first Ebuild was with a BMC V2T, I was thinking of a V3 or 4. I'll have to make some kind of intermediate cassette gearing because I think it would be pretty complicated to change my rear single sprocket into a cassette. Anyway looking forward to watching your creations come to life as I'm building mine :D .


for future note, theres a link at the bottom of each page with 'subscribe/un-subscribe topic' on it :P .



bzhwindtalker wrote:This is my new signiature video :



as always mate, fantastic vid. love the shot composition.

how'd you get those slow panning shots to be so smooth?
My builds:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29373
Norko Aline Park DH - Clyte HT3525 - 24s lipo
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33657&p=534823#p534823
'02ish Avanti D8 - 8085 170kv - 5s 40ah lipo - ple80 recution
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43143
RC Electric mountainboard
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=57489
RC longboard with my own CNC routered parts!
User avatar
sn0wchyld
100 kW
100 kW
 
Posts: 1386
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:27 pm
Location: South Aus.

Re: The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Postby briogio » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:13 pm

sn0wchyld wrote:
briogio wrote:Couldn't figure out how to subscribe, so I'll just post.

After reading Green Machine's excellent review of the Hannebrink mid-drive, I've decided to build a mid-drive, fat tired Ebike myself.

Last year I bought a nice minibike with 19" X 7" tires which isn't far from the Hannebrinks 20" X 8" tires, of course it's built in China from crap steel, (heavy as hell), but it'll make welding brackets easy. It has HUGE frame space, right now partially filled with a Honda 200cc generator/go-kart copy motor. Thing is I paid $249 for it brand new!, and I could probably sell the motor for close to that, it even has a suspended seat which I bought a Rock Shox air shock for. Anyway it'll be my mid-drive concoction, minimal noise will be a build must, stealth is crucial to the covert riding tactics I must operate under. Since my first Ebuild was with a BMC V2T, I was thinking of a V3 or 4. I'll have to make some kind of intermediate cassette gearing because I think it would be pretty complicated to change my rear single sprocket into a cassette. Anyway looking forward to watching your creations come to life as I'm building mine :D .


for future note, theres a link at the bottom of each page with 'subscribe/un-subscribe topic' on it :P .

Thanks! I was looking for that all over but never saw it.



bzhwindtalker wrote:This is my new signiature video :



as always mate, fantastic vid. love the shot composition.

how'd you get those slow panning shots to be so smooth?
User avatar
briogio
100 W
100 W
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:16 pm
Location: Cookstown, Ontario, Canada.

Re: The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Postby bandaro » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:33 am

Thanks spinningmagnets, but the largest one of them that I could find was still smaller than what I want, unless they have a 2-3kw that I couldn't find?

Also looked around for some other options, and they still seem very heavy compared to what rc drives can be, so for know I think I will continue trying to reduce the noise and size of the reduction, plus finish rewinding my spare motor. Given that laws are changing in Australia I may need to make the thing more subtle (quieter) but my priority is still on a small and compact system. Still very interested in hubs if an appropriate/cheap one to experiment with comes by. I essentially have free machining at university so experimenting is not too much of a problem.

So another question, how much harder do you guys thing it will be to pedal if the chain was in 2 stages, so it went up to a jackshaft where it joined the motor, then down to the wheel? Similar to flyingmonkey's build but a single chain to the rear, giving the pedals all the gears as well. Will it be worth looking into, or skip it?
User avatar
bandaro
100 W
100 W
 
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:17 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

Re: The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Postby Green Machine » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:51 pm

Hats off to bzhwindtalker for making some beautiful ebike videos :)

Regarding mid mount hub motors: No one mentioned the Hanebrink bike yet?


Not really fair to compare a mid mount hub motor drive to a front wheel drive bmc but it was fun none the less :)

http://www.electricbike.com Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
User avatar
Green Machine
100 kW
100 kW
 
Posts: 1220
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:31 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Postby bzhwindtalker » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:47 pm

this one is pretty intense :
User avatar
bzhwindtalker
100 kW
100 kW
 
Posts: 1307
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Lyon, France

Re: The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Postby Lebowski » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:16 pm

we need more video's like this to spread The Word and to show
e-bikes are not just for grannies

well done !
User avatar
Lebowski
10 MW
10 MW
 
Posts: 2342
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:38 am
Location: beautiful Zurich, Switzerland

Re: The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Postby aixelsyd » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:14 pm

cool video, great editing!
aixelsyd
1 mW
1 mW
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:56 pm
Location: Upper Peninsula Michigan

Re: The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Postby spinningmagnets » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:55 pm

From Warren, he uses the hub similar to the Hanebrink, halfway between the BB and rear-wheel, but with chains on both sides. A left-side cog on the 6-hole disc-brake flange is chained to the BB, and the right-side freewheel is chained to the rear wheel sprocket-set/derailleur. Pic is from an earlier chain configuration, but the hub has remained in the same location.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=23259&start=135#p540457
Image
User avatar
spinningmagnets
100 GW
100 GW
 
Posts: 6746
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:27 pm
Location: Ft Riley, NE Kansas

Re: The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Postby DiamondMobious » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:58 pm

Miles wrote:http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=290115#p290115


Image



Anyone know the name of that clamp/bracket thingie holding the motor in place and where to get it please?
DiamondMobious
1 µW
1 µW
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Postby Miles » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:32 am

DiamondMobious wrote:Anyone know the name of that clamp/bracket thingie holding the motor in place and where to get it please?
You make it yourself....
User avatar
Miles
100 GW
100 GW
 
Posts: 10706
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: London UK

Re: The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Postby DiamondMobious » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:03 am

Miles wrote:
DiamondMobious wrote:Anyone know the name of that clamp/bracket thingie holding the motor in place and where to get it please?
You make it yourself....


Thanks for your response..
DiamondMobious
1 µW
1 µW
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Postby briogio » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:55 pm

spinningmagnets wrote:From Warren, he uses the hub similar to the Hanebrink, halfway between the BB and rear-wheel, but with chains on both sides. A left-side cog on the 6-hole disc-brake flange is chained to the BB, and the right-side freewheel is chained to the rear wheel sprocket-set/derailleur. Pic is from an earlier chain configuration, but the hub has remained in the same location.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=23259&start=135#p540457
Image


Saturday was a good day!
I started my Project 2 Ebike, which will be a LWB recumbent, a la "Recycled Recumbents", and the coolest thing is it will be full-suspension, using parts from my first downhill bikes, (Trek 9000 and Pro-Forx LT's), you old school dudes might remember those 8).
Anyway I don't really understand the mondo gearing you can get on a recumbent and how you get your E-motor to use the bikes gearing?
Do you hook it up to the crank? or in between? What is the difference? do you get more gearing if you hook it up to the crank? I don't really get that bit.
Right now I'm planning on a Hubzilla as a mid-drive, 50 mph top speed and with enough batteries to commute just under 100 miles round trip (although I can charge it up at work, so I guess 50 miles range).
Very glad this group was started, I think mid-drives have more versatility, especially for range, than straight hubs (which was project 1)
User avatar
briogio
100 W
100 W
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:16 pm
Location: Cookstown, Ontario, Canada.


Re: The Mid Drive Hub Motor Media Group

Postby briogio » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:03 pm

2 newbie questions; 1, for full gearing advantage is it best to hook up the hub drive to the crank? 2, does the hub turn with it's drive sprocket?

Bonus question!; has anyone attempted a recumbent, or bike mid drive with a Cromotor? I'm thinking you'ld need to run heavier chain than 8 speed bicycle chain?
User avatar
briogio
100 W
100 W
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:16 pm
Location: Cookstown, Ontario, Canada.

PreviousNext

Return to E-Bike Photos & Video

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kudos, stompatompa and 6 guests