Converted 66cc to Electric, 1st Electric build

Hello,

This is my 1st electric bike conversion. I have had 3 previous gas bikes since 2008. 1st was a Sun Bicycle EZ-3 USX HD Delta Trike w/Honda 4-stroke friction drive kit, and the last 2 have been 66cc 2-strokes w/jackshaft kit to run through the gears. They have been a lot fun, but its time for a change. Why the change? Too many moving parts, the noise, grease, gas and hassle from the local poopoo here in France. Turned a lot of heads here in France, I guess the only mobylette they are use to seeing is the Solex.

I have never been on a electric bike before and from watching many users videos from this site, they look like a blast. The quietness and power from these builds is very appealing. But, I know a very little about electronics and don't feel comfortable at this time to do my own build. So, that is why I have invested in a kit from, guess who - y - n a, that's right Hyena. The first videos I came across for electric bikes were his, which led me to Endless-Sphere and his site.

So, I have purchased a kit from Jay. I have yet to decide if I am going to keep my current 66cc bike and just find another MTB or remove the 66cc and use the current bike for Jay's kit.

With the rear direct drive motor I will be running a A123 52V 11.5Ah Triangle Battery Pack with 30A BMS and using the Falcon EV Bag. I hope to accomplish 35 mph. If I do, I know I will want more speed. :lol: Anyway, just waiting for the kit to arrive and will have more to post soon. Tnx

Pete

Attachments

• 0590296253.jpg
    0590296253.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 6,724
  • bike 2 pic 2.jpg
    bike 2 pic 2.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 6,724
  • trike.jpg
    trike.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 6,724
  • bike 1 pic 1.jpg
    bike 1 pic 1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 6,724
I currrently live in the burbs and ride a gas assist bike. I will be moving downtown soon. The e-bike sounds like a better choice for urban living.

Welcome to the forum

You can go wrong with a Hyena kit!

My best newbie advice with electric is to make sure you triple check all your connections. Then check em again. Everytime you are doing something on teh bike like charging etc be very careful.

Looking forward to seeing your opinion when you get it running.

Scruff

Well, I have decided to use the same bike as the 66cc. The CA from Jay has arrived and the battery from Hong Kong which was very well packed. The battery came by DHL and it was FAST. It left yesterday on the 4th and arrived today the 5th. see below. pics also

Result Summary

Waybill: 8138964363
Signed for by: ------------
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 at 13:03
Origin Service Area: HONG KONG - HONG KONG - HONG KONG
Destination Service Area: ORLY - CORBEIL ESSONNES - FRANCE
1 Pieces

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 Location Time Pieces
17 Delivered - Signed for by : MILLIET ORLY - FRANCE 13:03

16 With delivery courier ORLY - FRANCE 09:25
1 Pieces

15 Processed at ORLY - FRANCE ORLY - FRANCE 06:59
1 Pieces

14 Arrived at Sort Facility ORLY - FRANCE ORLY - FRANCE 06:48
1 Pieces

13 Departed Facility in PARIS - FRANCE PARIS - FRANCE 06:09
1 Pieces

12 Processed at PARIS - FRANCE PARIS - FRANCE 05:48
1 Pieces

11 Clearance processing complete at PARIS - FRANCE PARIS - FRANCE 05:47
1 Pieces

10 Arrived at Sort Facility PARIS - FRANCE PARIS - FRANCE 05:40
1 Pieces

9 Departed Facility in LEIPZIG - GERMANY LEIPZIG - GERMANY 03:33
1 Pieces

8 Processed at LEIPZIG - GERMANY LEIPZIG - GERMANY 00:57
1 Pieces

7 Arrived at Sort Facility LEIPZIG - GERMANY LEIPZIG - GERMANY 00:24
1 Pieces

Monday, June 04, 2012 Location Time Pieces
6 Departed Facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 17:26
1 Pieces

5 Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 17:17
1 Pieces

4 Arrived at Sort Facility HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 12:20
1 Pieces

3 Departed Facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 02:57
1 Pieces

2 Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 02:55
1 Pieces

1 Shipment picked up HONG KONG - HONG KONG 01:29
1 Pieces

Hide Details

Attachments

• Battery packed.jpg
    Battery packed.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 6,484
  • Battery 1.jpg
    Battery 1.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 6,484
  • Battery 2.jpg
    Battery 2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 6,484
  • Battery 3.jpg
    Battery 3.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 6,484
Yep, if I need A123s I get cellman to build batteries for me, especially for overseas stuff where he's already fairly central. The shipping cost alone to send a lipo pack smaller than that from here in Australia is $300 due to them having to be sent as dangerous goods :roll:
The A123s are good though, and noob friendly with a BMS.

Hopefuly not long until the rest of it arrives Pete! I'm sure your neighbors are looking forward to it as much as you :lol:

Hyena said:
Hopefuly not long until the rest of it arrives Pete! I'm sure your neighbors are looking forward to it as much as you :lol:
True, I have been going through withdraw from not riding around at higher than normal bike speeds. :?

What kind of water proofing should be done to any of the kit? I occasionally get caught in a storm :roll: The Falcon EV Bag, is that thing water proof or weather resistant to a degree?

Tnx
Pete

:D Its X-MAS in France today. The kit has arrived. It left Shanghai on the 11th and arrived in France the 18th. Not bad on transit time. She was packed very well, no damage inside. Here are some photos of what I received.

dsc00128xg.jpg

dsc00129vo.jpg

dsc00140o.jpg

dsc00138oq.jpg

dsc00139q.jpg

Got to love these stickers! :mrgreen:
dsc00147lj.jpg

dsc00146oe.jpg

dsc00145rn.jpg

dsc00144bq.jpg

6192012114957am.jpg

dsc00142ou.jpg

dsc00141ry.jpg

WISH ME LUCK!

Cool glad its finally arrived.

If i may suggest that you firstly take your rim to a Bike shop and get teh spokes tensioned up by them. Have a fell yourself i guess first and if soem of them feel different to others then do yourself the favour of getting it checked before you start loosing spokes.

Your gonna love it :)

Have recently added an extra 15 volts to mine and its going just how id like it to be :)

Can wait to see some more photos.

Wayne

Thanks for the tips Wayne, I shall see how far I get today. I do have a BIG NOOB QUESTION though.

I sent this message to Jay a little earlier, but I feel bad :cry: filling his email box up all the time with questions, so I going to try and post my NOOB QUESTIONS here.

With charging the battery, can the charger directly hook to the battery or does it need to go through the controller? For I have these 2 plugs both on the battery and charger. They look like they were hooked up wrong or something. I see that they do clip together. I think I just need to disconnect the housing and slide them to a different position, would this be correct? see pic below.

dsc00149cim.jpg

Thanks,
Pete

I went ahead and switch the housing around on the connectors for the charger and they line up fine with the battery. went ahead and plugged them in (not sure if this the correct way to charge or if I have to go through the controller), then plugged in charger to ac, she came on with the red light and about 40 sec. later the charger shut down and the green light came on. So, not sure if shes fully charged or if there is a problem. :? I don't think they would have shipped a fully charged battery.

Thanks,

Pete

I dont have the same types of batteries but arent you using a BMS i assume that you charge you batteries up through the BMS.

I would wait to get an answer from jay abou tthe wiring. I think he must have a very full inbox as he hasnt answered my question yet either LOL. I cheat and call him on the phone and jump the queue :)

Id be looking at the BMS for the anderson plugs on it.

WayneWas just thinking. Jay never wired it up anyways. As the battery came straight to you. So unless the BMS is inside the Battery box IDK.

Extensive consultations had, problems sorted :)
It was just an anderson around the wrong way - easily done when the battery and charger was shipped seperately and at different times.
Not something I myself would send out the door though :p
And yeah it has BMS which it charges through, plugging in the CA confirmed it's fully charged which is why the charger turned off quickly after plugging it in.
Now go finish it all off Pete, I don't want to see you posting again until it's about your virgin EV grin :mrgreen:

Wadda ya want now Wayne ? :p
Sorry I'll go check my message now. I probably read it but then had a dozen more come in in the mean time and forgot to reply. I blame my phone, I often read the messages on there when I'm away from my desk and then forget all about it. I'll play the cancer card and blame chemo brain. haha

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: EV Grin, will post pics tomorrow though of rough build. As soon as I got her all wired up, it started to frock'en rain :x , waited for it to taper off and then maiden voyage on low setting up and down the driveway, that was cool! :D Went for a little ride around the block, Med and High setting used, Nice torque and speed, but I only have a front disc brake right now, my rear Avids caliper was just touching the motor cover, so took it off for now and didn't try to figure top end speed yet. The quietness of it all!!! :D I feel I have more torque off the line than I did with the 66cc.

Very impressed, with what speed I was able to do and I know there is more to come. For someone who has very little experience with electrical know how, the kit was very easy to install and so far the quality is excellent.

Will report back ltr tomorrow after a few rides, that's if it is NOT raining :(

Pete

Got one for ya Jay or anyone. I have the E-Brakes that came with the kit, I was under the impression that each brake lever has its own connection, but they don't, 2 levers connected together. I have Hydraulics on the front, which I want to keep and want to use just one of the E-Brake levers for the back. How do I go about one lever with its own connection?

Thanks,

Pete

pucksterpete said:
As soon as I got her all wired up, it started to frock'en rain :x ,
Always the way!

I only have a front disc brake right now, my rear Avids caliper was just touching the motor cover
As I said in email, if it's only just hitting the motor cover then put a washer or 2 under each disc brake bolt and that will space it out enough to get clearance.

The quietness of it all!!!
How's the serenity ? :)

pucksterpete said:
I have Hydraulics on the front, which I want to keep and want to use just one of the E-Brake levers for the back. How do I go about one lever with its own connection?
Just cut the other one off and insulate the end of the wires so they don't short. The 2 levers are just wired in parallel anyway.

As I said in email, if it's only just hitting the motor cover then put a washer or 2 under each disc brake bolt and that will space it out enough to get clearance.

Come to find out besides the dial on the caliper which was slightly rubbing on the motor cover, the caliper mounting adapter is hitting the rotor. :x I need to find something that would push out the dropout a little so the adapter won't hit.

I did put washers between the rotor and where it mounts on the motor to get the clearance for the caliper dial not to hit.

Any ideas for the adapter not to hit the rotor? :?

Tnx

Pete

I tried some washers on the axle on the brake side to spread the drop out, but that only prevented the hub from turning once tightened down. But, there is a little lip on the axle right before the motor that I was able to use and put my torque arm up to and was able to spread the seat & chain stays with that.

On the 7 speed freewheel side, the 7th cog is too close also and running interference , will have to see tomorrow if I can use the other torque arm to spread that side out.

Other than that, seems like there is never enough time in the day to get things done with the new toy.

Pete

Well, its been a lot of fun getting this together, so here are some recent pics. Now I need to figure the gearing out. I want to be able to pedal at 25mph tops. :roll:

I have 2 sets of these and using them both per side
dsc00099sl.jpg

dsc00163x.jpg

dsc00164us.jpg

dsc00165jn.jpg

dsc00166vu.jpg

dsc00169ib.jpg

dsc00184wv.jpg

dsc00181ue.jpg

I could put the hitch back on the axle, but I don't want to put any more forces on the axle than there already is.
dsc00182jlk.jpg

dsc00172hr.jpg

dsc00185hk.jpg

dsc00180pq.jpg

dsc00186pw.jpg

She's a BLAST :lol: to ride! Thanks Jay

Recently added a 52T, 42T & 30T Chainring, now having resistance at 35mph when peddling. Any faster the bike is unstable while peddling. Also picked up some waterproof spray for the EV Bag and small bags I have on the bike.

dsc00207ed.jpg

Shimano FC-2303 Triple
dsc00208rv.jpg

Ballisolt Pluvonin Waterproofing spray

Got some trouble, went for a ride, nothing too hard, when I got back to disconnect the battery I was having trouble with the red positive anderson. Once I got it off I noticed that both connections had melted. I plugged them back in and I get a very low reading on the battery of 42V, she was charged to 57V and I used around 4ah out of 11ah on this ride. With it plugged in now, the motor will not turn over. The Low Voltage setting on the CA is set at 40V. I am guessing the fact that the melted andersons is the cause of the low voltage reading. Will have to get some spare andersons. But for now, any suggestions would be helpful. Tnx Pete

dsc00213da.jpg

dsc00215dm.jpg

Back