Military style Belize E-chopper

ianr430

1 mW
Hey everybody, this site has been very informative and inspirational. I have one electric tricycle from Ampedbikes. Its a japanese tricycle with a tilting frame, I put the amped kit on the front wheel 20 inches, and was very impressed with torque and speed, I removed the rear basket and customized a babyseat with footrests so my wife can sit in the back, the rea seat can support my weight of 170 ish lbs. With my wifes 115 120 lbs and my 170 lbs the ampedkit took us around a 45 mile trip round a local lake up and down hills in about 4 5 hours. Anyway, that is like our touring bike and now I wanted to build something with style and sound.

I've been working on a Belize E-chopper that I order via amazon. Its a chopper frame similar to the small schwinn but bigger in size with a26 inch front wheel ,comes packaged with a 24 inch fat rim, rear wheel hub motor. 48v 12 or 15ah i forgot. Paid 600 to 700 bucks had it shipped to my dads house in california(no ship to japan).
Ive been working on this project for over 2 months awaiting my dad to send the frame.

Heres some links of the stock bike.

Belize website
http://belizebike.com/english/echopper.html

Youtube review and testride
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNMxYR-h3Ao

My plan is to turn the stock bike into a military chopper inspired by the old WLA harleys from ww2.

So far i have olive drab fenders, two brown panniers, a empty gas tank from a yamaha cycle, a custom fat front wheel (from cycles us), added disc brakes bb5's to both front and rear wheels, refurbished a black cruiser seat with brown leather, and made a custom m1 army bicycle helmet(saving private ryan style)

Also I have a vintage speedometer to mount on the front wheel and on the rear rack I have a mini amp with a speaker box that goes to a stereo system.

I will post pictures and details on the peices, also i may have left some parts out as i have been working on this bike for a while.

And 2 weeks or so till the frame arrives.

My partss collection so far mostly finished products.
On the left is the 26 inch front wheel, kenda flame 3 inch with a custom cycles us fat 2.5 inch rim with disc brake mounts.
In the boxes are bb5 brakes and a cree rechargeable headlight.
28lt2rk.jpg

here you can see the speedometer fenders gas tank helmet all painted olive drab. Also the refurbished seat, I bought a used chair for 15 bucks and took the leather off it.
34o7dhu.jpg

Here is the 24 inch fat rear hub motor wheel, painted all black with disc brake installed.
Also the 48 v battery pack engine, painted the ribs black.
4k7hfk.jpg

If you have any questions or request for detailed pics please ask. Can't wait to get this one rolling.

Also heres the inspiration

harley-davidson-wla-03.jpg

Your inspiration is a WLA Flathead Harley. Cool old bikes, I rode a 1951 civilian model for a short time. Plunger seat/saddle is major charm of the ride with those old bikes.

Looks like a great project!

Germany sent everything they had in production into the war effort (back in the 1940's). The Afrika Corp asked for more of the BMW air-cooled flat twins, which performed well in the hot desert because they put the maximum possible air across the flat-twin cylinders. The allies got ahold of a few of these, and since everyone used captured equipment, the US Army tried them and agreed. Harley-Davidson was then asked to produce an air-cooled flat-twin, and the result was the "XA" model.

harley-davidson-xa-03.jpg

Thanks for the history lesson, it would be awesome to own a real one, but I don't think I have the tools or the know how to do a restoration project on one. These WLA's have great history and they look awesome.

I made the mistake of using a clear coat on the olive drab and it resulted in a darker green. I was thinking of repainting but it would take forever.
Also I couldn't find affordable saddle bags in that bright leather color, so I opted for brown canvas saddlebag made for horses. Folded and stapled to size to fit the rear rack.
I am working on the speakerbox that will be enclosed in a waterproof gym bag, and will be mounted on the rear rack with tamper proof locking pins and 4 bolts that require the removal of the 6 inch bass speaker before removing the locking pins.

Finished just gotta put the 6 inch sub in. sorry if its sideways

9viikl.jpg

Under the bags.
ic7at2.jpg

Thanks its wierd that the battery engine has 3 cyclinders, anyway for the paint i was trying to imitate a painted engine like this
kawasaki-vulcan-1500-drifter-bobber-chopper-custom_2376987.jpg

Speaking of twin cylinders, have you seen or read about the Juicer?

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33469&hilit=juicer

Interesting way to utilize headway cells for a classic V-twin look.

Done with the bike everything works just havent mounted the speakers. Also the leather seat post mount didnt fit so i ordered a shim adapter but it hasnt come in yet.
Took it to a japanese parade, bike got alot of attention
2utn5nt.jpg

Also in this picture is our tricycle with a amped bike 20 inch front wheel, notice our pappy doggy in the rear seat
2v3k7dv.jpg

Woa nice to look back in time at this old post of mine. After losing these two bikes over the years I'm ready to start a new mini project. 4 years later I will be building a foldable bike build. Will post sometime soon. Want to thank this website for the knowledge and inspiration these bikes while i had them made sightseeing in japan a lot of fun.

Back