Genesis addendum...

Catalyst82

100 mW
Hey all, wanted to post some pics of my prototype frame I've been working on for sometime now. This is my second built ebike, my first build was my 93.3v geneisis build. I liked riding it to work and around town, the battery box i made worked great but, i didn"t like the lack of space for "manuvering" the connecting wires (scary if you touch the leads on accident), the limited battery space, and felt like a lot of the designs for battery storage either took up space on a rack, or made the bike look downright alien by design. So, I thought there must be a better way to incorporate batteries for ebikes into the bicycle frame itself. So, as the White Stripes said "You've got to have a problem if you want to invent a contraption" That was the problem, and this is my solution:

frame pic2 (800x450).jpg

Holds 18650 cells (72 pieces), Headways (10-12), 26650, a123, even small lipo bricks. Configurable how ever you want. Uses 45 amp anderson connectors hidden within the frame. I have quotes from local machine shops to make a production version which would look more like my concept drawing than my prototype. I'm planning on producing 10-20 in the first run. If your interested send me a pm, would like to get a good count from endless sphere members. Im projecting cost would be $900. Frames are going to be anodized and painted. I'll post more pics as time goes on and I get finished parts.

fittings pic (450x800).jpg

frame pic1 (800x449).jpg

frame pic3 (450x800).jpg

frame pic5 (800x450).jpg

viewattachment-4 (450x800).jpg

Interesting idea! So you can basically disassemble the frame via threads? Cool!

yup, i will post more pics, but yes the frame incorporates your batteries as well as providing structural support. I guess you could even add batteries on a rack, water bottle holder, or anywhere else if you wanted to have crazy amounts of power and longevity. Thats the beauty of this, you can customize it however you want. You want 24v, 36v, 48v, 60v...more, you can do it just by adding the cells you want. All cells are easily accessible by unscrewing the compression nut for that section of tube.

Hey All, I just wanted to post a couple of pics from my project and give a little update. Battery packs getting finished up this week, and the machined parts for my frame also should be done this week. Going to end up with a 48v 17.4ah battery pack neatly concealed in the frame. More pics to come soon. Enjoy 8)

View attachment 2

assembled packs(360x640).jpg

battery pack (640x359).jpg

Awesome! I am always impressed by those that can take a build to "the next level" and design/fabricate a custom frame. In a 15S configuration how many AH will fit ion the frame? May be the "stealthiest" ebike yet!

Catalyst82 said:
Its the bms for that series of cells
Is that custom or can we buy them?

Having the pack inside the frame does solve a number of issues. If using Lipo, a blast vent somewhere may be needed. Just a hole drilled on the bottom side somewhere should be enough.
It will do a great job of protecting the cells in a crash.
It will make stealing the pack harder.
The cells will get good cooling.
Rain resistant.
It is very, very stealthy. I like that feature a lot.

Stuffing all the BMS wires through the tubes will be sort of a pain. Hopefully it will be low maintenance.
You will need really abrasion resistant insulation between the cells and the frame tube. Bouncing around for thousands of miles will tend to wear through and could short out. Rubber-like stuff tends to do well for that.

Thanks fetcher, yes its definitely a challenge getting everything to fit just right and I agree with you on a lot of the good points you brought up. I came up with the idea last summer when I was building a zip line in the backyard for my dog.... I have designed "vent" holes into the frame as well as a safety precaution. The packs fit snug in the frame and have pvc shrink wrap around them as a outer protectent. Yes, Im going to be selling my frames as complete ebikes, but will probably sell a couple of just the frame and battery packs to endless sphere members if they're interested.

Hey all, just finished putting together my first production frame after building my prototype. Took a little longer due to delays in getting some of the parts back from anodizing but happy with the results. Going to be building 10 frames along with my own, I have red and black anodized fittings. I'm thinking white frames to go with the black fittings, and grey frames to go with the red fittings. If any one is interested in purchasing one please IM me for details. Any other suggestions for the color schemes?
jun 2013 020 (800x600).jpg

Attachments

• jun 2013 008 (800x600).jpg
    jun 2013 008 (800x600).jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 2,768
Now if we add external bag for more battery??!! Maybe 100Ah of battery all on the bike without the trailer. Might be a good touring bike.

Im really keen on this bike 8) .it even has good geometry-lines.so im guessing if you wanted a 22 inch frame just get longer tubes? awesome idea! :D

beast775 said:
Im really keen on this bike 8) .it even has good geometry-lines.so im guessing if you wanted a 22 inch frame just get longer tubes? awesome idea! :D

Thanks beast, its scalable so your right, it could be adapted to different size bikes with different length tubes. I'm gonna focus on this one for now, but down the road that would be cool to do.

This is a pretty cool idea, which if it wasn't for the need to run wires down the tube, seems perfect for a large round cell like a headway battery.

Rollodo said:
BiGH said:
This is a pretty cool idea, which if it wasn't for the need to run wires down the tube, seems perfect for a large round cell like a headway battery.
I fits those batteries, btw.
Nice :)

Back