Custom Frame Cruiser:+/- finished pg.5

I've been working on this slowly, but since I just got back from the welder I think it's time to start a build thread...

Inspired by the WWII Harleys, I started playing around with Sketchup and came up with this:

IMG_8003.JPG

IMG_8004.JPG

I made a virtual me, complete with the e-bike grin, to test for sizing.

IMG_8005.JPG

I use C.ardboard A.ided D.esign frequently.

IMG_8008.JPG

I had the tubes bent at Accurate Tube-Bending in Fremont, CA. Two were just barely more cost that one, so I have an extra.

IMG_8010.JPG

The straight tubes are from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty. (All tubes are 1.5" x 0.083" wall 4130 Cromoly)

IMG_8075.JPG

I used the Harbor Freight tubing notcher. It's not industrial strength, and there are alignment issues with it, but if you look on youtube there are some good videos of how to work it.

IMG_8077.JPG

IMG_8078.JPG

The head tube and bottom brackets are cromoly from Paragon Machine Works. Here the primary frame is cut and laid out. I grew a little taller than the drawing.
IMG_8159.JPG

I designed this around a Farfle Swingarm for the Genesis V2100. Luckily, I have a V2100 on hand! I fabbed up some cromoly mounting brackets for the suspension.
IMG_8455.JPG

Pre-Weld layout:
IMG_8460.JPG

Post-Weld. I paid a local guy to tig weld it. The top tube doesn't hit the drawing exact, but I'm not unhappy. Plus, there were two packages awaiting my return from the welder.
IMG_8462.JPG

My new shock (a real one! not just a spring!) and the Giant Stiletto jackshaft assembly from Staton-inc that threads into a bottom bracket shell. Yes, someday this may become a mid-drive. :lol: for now, I just plan two chains--pedal to jackshaft, jackshaft to MAC hub in rear wheel, to keep the chainline from being so long.

IMG_8463.JPG

With the suspension installed. I used the old "spring" shock for fitting.
IMG_8464.JPG

With rear wheel installed for visualization:
IMG_8465.JPG

Next to a Nishiki Colorado for size comparison:
IMG_8467.JPG

Still lots to do... Parts to buy... a Farfle swingarm to arrive...

Thanks guys. I've been inspired by the builds here, yours especially AJ. You're right, It'll be long. I planned it for a 60" wheel base. It measures exactly 57" now, add three for the Farfle arm and I should be right where I intended. (...and I thought holy crap, my planning worked out! ...and not for the first time in this project. :lol: ) But, yes, it is definitely a cruiser, not a maneuver-er.

In some ways this frame is a learning platform; it will begin and be kept low power and since I have material to build a second, I'll apply what I learn from this frame to improve the next. Even if I decide hard-tail is a better route to go, I'd like to take it as far as 72v and a big hub in moped wheels and make it a true city capable registered moped/motorcycle; but, walk before I run, pedal before power, silly speed before insane.

Here's a better shot of what it will look like:

IMG_8491.JPG

Lebowski said:
isn't the white/red pivot point too much in line with the red/frame pivot point ? Will it have any suspension action like this ?

I'm concerned about it as well, as it doesn't seem to have the same line as my drawing. So much so that I took a pic pre-weld in a different config.

IMG_8459.JPG

It keeps a better suspension angle this way, but I worried about shock clearance with the brackets I had made in replication of the Genesis brackets, and it would lower the rear wheel some. This could be cured with a 24" wheel, or a 19" moped wheel keeping the level ride height. And with different brackets and placing, this could easily accommodate a longer shock. I was very much trying to copy the Genesis suspension geometry, which didn't quite work out, but that's why I put the brackets inside the seat tube instead of out. I'll test it a bit when the fork gets here in a few days, and if it doesn't work, I have a grinder. :)

Received my new fork Saturday. It's the Suntour Double Down from CutstomMotoredBicycles (dot com). He's a ICE conversion dealer, but like Staton-inc and others, much of his inventory is suitable for e-bike projects. It's not a downhill fork, but it's a nice way to have mid-quality dual crown suspension fork on a budget. Quick service and shipment, too.
2013-07-21

And here's how it all looks laid out in the pickup. I don't have the crown height adjusted in this pic, as I still need to ream/set the headset, but I'm liking the way it looks.
2013-07-21

-- Unfortunately, the rear wheel is not quite aligned with the frame. Measuring the bracket, everything looks square, but with the swingarm and wheel installed there's a noticeable out-of-alignment. Probable only 2-3 degrees, but I'm sure riding with a constant slight left turn would get annoying, maybe not be safe, let alone look funky and wear tires oddly. So, the grinder/cutter will come back out, and I'll probably re-consider the suspension placement, although in this set up there is suspension action. I might do something different with the front BB too, for a cleaner look.

On a side note, I need to make my future drawings & screenshots from the left side of the bike, since I don't want to lay the bike on the motor wires all the pics of the actual bike face opposite the drawings.

Is that rear suspension geo going to be efficient? Appears it will be a stiff with added stress to the red rocker. See this thread for genesis rear suspension stock setup: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35301

Are you going to use 26" front 24" rear wheels?

steelmesh said:
Is that rear suspension geo going to be efficient? Appears it will be a stiff with added stress to the red rocker. See this thread for genesis rear suspension stock setup: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35301

Yes, I have concerns with the geometry, as I mention above, and might re-do the suspension mounts as pictured above. Or go a different route altogether. ...and there's a link in my sig to a nice Genesis build, too. :)

jateureka said:
Are you going to use 26" front 24" rear wheels?

Maybe. A 24" rear might change the suspension geometry in a favorable direction. The long range goal is 18" moped wheels from JRH, which should equal about 24" OD +/-. I'll probably find a cheap 24" wheel to test how it stands.

Really waiting my Farfle swingarm (any day now...) to build a better jig to align the rear, then make decisions, and do all my cutting and welding at one time . With the swingarm in hand, I'm going to see if a mono-shock arrangement might work as well.

I'm going to use a LaRosa solo/bobber spring seat, so rear suspension may not be necessary, with big tires and the long wheelbase, too.

I have more time in front of a computer than in a shop... :?

Here's what I'm imagining for the second frame/longer run. It would be a geared-hub as mid-drive through the Stiletto jackshaft to a rear NuVinci or other IGH. The top tube is extended past the seat tube to a mount for 12" moped shocks. You can imagine this same basic geometry in a hardtail as well. Top photo is with 26" wheels, bottom 24". Ahh... but vapor ware and dreams are free and easy...
Cruiser+middrive26.png

Cruiser+middrive24.png

A smaller rear wheel will improve the suspension pivot point geometry by lowering the swing arm it looks to me.

Thanks 1000w.

farmkid4, yes, it's my first scratch build. I'll start with my 12s5p a123 pack and the 8t Mac, then consider converting it to mid-drive (which is the main reason I'm building in the Stiletto BB jackshaft) or big hub+big battery. Gotta get the frame rolling first.

100volts+, no pics yet. I've laid it out a few times, but my project time has been limited and the next step is cutting, building a jig and re-welding... Important lesson: Clearly mark which side of a BB is the left-hand thread. Both are backwards. :? No big deal, I was planning on cutting them anyway; they're not straight and square. Hoepfully some progress & photos this coming week.

Clearly mark which side of a BB is the left-hand thread

By that you mean you installed the bottom bracket reversed right?

I like it! Let me know if you have any extra frames.

100volts+ said:
Clearly mark which side of a BB is the left-hand thread

By that you mean you installed the bottom bracket reversed right?

Yes, the left hand threads are on the left hand side, which is wrong. They should be on the right (chainring) side.

e-biker said:
I like it! Let me know if you have any extra frames.

:D Well... let's see if I have enough spare parts to make ONE working bike before I start considering extras.

Here are the mock up photos with the Farfle swingarm.

I'm going to move the middle pivot arm (red) to the rear side of the seat post. It just looks like it will work so much better.
IMG_8639.JPG

IMG_8640.JPG

And with the seat and fork in place:
IMG_8641.JPG

And lastly, what do you think of a mono-shock (8-12" range) where the yellow tape is? Do you think the cross-member of the swingarm is strong enough? Would I get too much sway out of the rear? Other thoughts?
IMG_8644.JPG

Back