tartosuc's firts build

tartosuc

10 W
Hi,

I've been looking at this site for a while now and finally decided to start my first electric bike project.
some of you might remember my black and red electra rat fink that i've posted here last year.

I have totally rebuilt the bike and bought a golden moter kit. front wheel 500w.
I plan on using it stock for now with 3 sla batteries.
here are the first pics of my build
the bike.:
IMG_0574.jpg

batterie atachement.:
IMG_0573.jpg

on the bike.:
IMG_0576.jpg

still have a lot to do....

to answer your questions,

Yes i've added 2 more struts to the pipe between the seatpot and chainstays(pics to come).

i'm planning on adding a disc brake somewhere in the setup after initial testing. I can either modify the rear wheel or the front hub motor to accept a rotor..i will have to choose later depending on wich is easier to do.

I might end up building someking of small motorcycle out of that, i might remove cranks and chain to get more batterie space into the frame and get lots of range..if I get to do that, disc brake setup will be easier as can just use any regular rear disc brake wheel, I already have a billet caliper mount for the frame.

thanks

Ypedal said:
NIce bike !!!! 8) ( and damn.. now i feel like a slice of sugar pie.. grr)

One of those bricks might have fit inside the frame ,, cutting the weight down on the rear rack by 1/3 !! ..

Other than that ! keep up the good work ! :wink:

I know! the thing is, that setup is just to experiment ebikes a little bit. this winter in will most likely build a complete frame from scratch and having the batteries down low on the frame... I also have the option of cutting that one to fit batteries or building a tilting sidecar...

tartosuc said:
will most likely build a complete frame from scratch and having the batteries down low on the frame... I also have the option of cutting that one to fit batteries or building a tilting sidecar...

Be looking forward to that there isnt enough custom work happening in the bike section :) Instead of a sidecar maybe a trike?

Best of luck anywayz..

Kim

AussieJester said:
tartosuc said:
will most likely build a complete frame from scratch and having the batteries down low on the frame... I also have the option of cutting that one to fit batteries or building a tilting sidecar...

Be looking forward to that there isnt enough custom work happening in the bike section :) Instead of a sidecar maybe a trike?

Best of luck anywayz..

Kim

I stopped by the ratt werx last night where there are plans afoot to build a hack from a few recent/decent dumpster scores.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5209

here is today's progress on the battery box...My goal is to have the chopper running by sunday night...
the strait part of the box will serve as a backrest...
IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

oooh bondo raised its head your going the whole nine yards, painting it the same colour as the bike frame? Nice job on the mdf battery box to ;) will this also be painted to match frame? Look forward to seeing it complete Sundee night buddy :) Any chance of some video of the bike up and running?

Kim

AussieJester said:
oooh bondo raised its head your going the whole nine yards, painting it the same colour as the bike frame? Nice job on the mdf battery box to ;) will this also be painted to match frame? Look forward to seeing it complete Sundee night buddy :) Any chance of some video of the bike up and running?

Kim

Hi,

I was think black for the box as the other parts..
unfortunately i'm on duty at work this wekened and had to go to wrok part of day today(sunday, i'm writing from work) sio i doubt i will eb able to finish today... more pics top come later.

ok so i've been able to do a test run today...
started at 37.7V, after 35-40minutes I was at 35,5v... I have 3 17 Ah sla's

i dont have a speedo but i would say i run 35kmph approximately...its quite fun...
that said the kit is noisy when I accelerate and i really can use it uphill?? any advise?

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

Stock controller? I believe part of it is a weird limiter that keeps current down when near stall. My rear Golden makes a sort of shuddering/grating sound/feeling when I take off near full throttle, but it's not nearly as loud as yours.

If it doesn't seem to accelerate very well, it could be a dead hall sensor.

It probably goes up hills pretty well. The Golden is a pretty torquey motor, and I'm comparing it to a BD36 in a 20" rim.

Link said:
Stock controller? I believe part of it is a weird limiter that keeps current down when near stall. My rear Golden makes a sort of shuddering/grating sound/feeling when I take off near full throttle, but it's not nearly as loud as yours.

If it doesn't seem to accelerate very well, it could be a dead hall sensor.

It probably goes up hills pretty well. The Golden is a pretty torquey motor, and I'm comparing it to a BD36 in a 20" rim.

yes its the stock controller, it's my first kit, firts try, i'm not into modifying that stuff yet.
when i tried a hill (steep) even walking besides the bike was not leaving enough power to the bike..
i could se the lights for the batteries go down to red when I psuhed the trottle on flat or when going uphill.. even if they have enough in...

ok so lets say its defective hall sensor...how do i figure it out?.i dont know anything about that!

anyone have ideas?

OK,

Updates on my chopper,

sems like i'm just expecting more from the kit than it can deliver...working within its limts is still fun.

so i went to wrok 3 times with it so far , 28km each way..recharge at work... max speed of 31km-h..

I will definitely upvolt the system to 48v and get a better set of batteries...(probably a pingpack)

my main problem at the moment is not having a rear suspension...roads are bumpy and makes the bike more difficult to handle at higher speeds.

I will keep on using it to commute to work until winter and re-think the frame setup.

here are the latest pics.
chopper002.jpg

chopper001.jpg

Back