Cowardlyducks Commuter Build - E-bikeE

Show off your E-bike creation here.
Cowardlyduck
10 MW
10 MW

Re: Cowardlyducks Commuter Build - E-bikeE

Post by Cowardlyduck » Aug 22, 2017 6:44 pm

Hi guy's,

I promised a while back that I would make a video of the battery build process for my E-BikeE and I finally have. :)

My existing youtube channel is not really geared towards how-to and build videos, so I've started a new channel and thread called Blake's Builds.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =1&t=89542
I would appreciate anyone who jumps over there and gives feedback or discussion on the other build video's I will be putting in that thread.

Please excuse the low sound quality. I'm trying to do this on a budget and bought some not so great gear that I'm now trying to make work.

Cheers
High Power LiPo wiring harnesses - 4P - XT90, HXT4mm, 5.5mm. 200Amp+ capable. Global shipping.

Modified Stealth Fighter - Force air cooled Leaf motor @ 5KW, Heat-sinked Adaptto Mini-E. Battery = 20AH, 72V LiPo.
Cowardlyducks - Stealth Fighter Videos

BikeE recumbent commuter - Golden motor, 6Fet Infineon, 20AH 12S LiPo, with on-board solar charging.

BLAKE'S BUILDS - The stuff I make and modify.

Cowardlyduck
10 MW
10 MW

Post by Cowardlyduck » Sep 24, 2017 7:31 am

Hi guys,

Since I built this bike, I've been using a backpack strapped over the seat to transport my gear each day. It's never been an ideal solution, but I've managed to put up with it for the most part.
Recently, after having to repair my seat mesh (again) and having the backpack fall off a number of times during rides, I decided enough was enough and I would come up with a more permanent solution.
My criteria for a replacement was that it had to be very quick/easy to attach/remove (I'm tired of having to stuff around with elastic straps every day), and it had to be the right size/shape to fit comfortably behind the seat on the tail section of the frame.
I college of mine has a Topeak rack mount bag that caught my attention when I saw the bottom of it and noticed the grid pattern of ABS plastic. I realised that it was about the same width as the tail section of the BikeE and a bunch of carefully placed strong (N52 Neodymium) magnets might be enough to hold it to the frame and still make it easy enough to remove.
So I ordered a Topeak MTX Trunk Bag EX, a bunch of N52 magnets (not cheap for the genuine ones!) and some very strong epoxy (Devcon Plastic Steel).
I had to order magnets at about half the size I needed for each slot as there were not any magnets the right size I could find. Once I had them in hand I realised they would fit stacked so went with that configuration, but used more than I had so changed back to the original plan for the last 2 slots. I couldn't manage to get any magnets to stay for one slot as the way I had done it meant they would always propel themselves out while the epoxy was setting.
I'm not too savvy on magnetic fields, so not sure if this is the best configuration for magnetic strength but it seems to be ok.
It's hard to see, but over the top of the magnets is a piece of thin clear plastic. This was just some left over packaging, and I added it to try and prevent any of the magnets pulling out of the epoxy when the bag is lifted up.

Next I had to roughen up the tail of the BikeE. This was painful, I have to admit, but there was no way the epoxy was going to bond to a smooth flat surface like the anodised aluminium of the tail.
Some course sand paper made quick work of the finish and I was left with the bare aluminium.
Then the magnets got added with the Devcon epoxy (I just used generic clear stuff on the bag). I had to be very careful to match the magnetic fields as I went and I used additional coin magnets underneath the frame to hold everything in place as it dried.

I also added some magnets to my tool bag which sits underneath the tail and this helps hold it in position together with it's strap.

The magnetic force holding the bag on is not quite as strong as I had hoped, and the bag has a tendency to slide off to the side, so I also added some velcro (hook n loop) in the gap and end of the tail. This does seem to prevent it sliding, however it can still roll off in strong cornering.

So I need to make use of the spring loaded latch at the front of the bag. I think that if I can make something for it to latch onto that is attached to the frame or seat, I won't see any issues.

My initial thoughts were to make something out of wood, as it's what I have on hand. Ideally I would 3D print something, but I don't have a 3D printer (yet) and the only other option is to design something and send it off and hope it works out...could end up being costly.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers
High Power LiPo wiring harnesses - 4P - XT90, HXT4mm, 5.5mm. 200Amp+ capable. Global shipping.

Modified Stealth Fighter - Force air cooled Leaf motor @ 5KW, Heat-sinked Adaptto Mini-E. Battery = 20AH, 72V LiPo.

BikeE recumbent commuter - Golden motor, 6Fet Infineon, 20AH 12S LiPo, with on-board solar charging.

IanM
100 W
100 W

Post by IanM » Sep 24, 2017 4:57 pm

Hi CD, I would try a short piece of aluminium angle with a hole cut in to accept the clip and fix to the frame with a couple of m5 screws.

Cowardlyduck
10 MW
10 MW

Post by Cowardlyduck » Sep 24, 2017 6:13 pm

IanM wrote:Hi CD, I would try a short piece of aluminium angle with a hole cut in to accept the clip and fix to the frame with a couple of m5 screws.
Thanks Ian!
I think a similar idea might work. I don't really want to put any holes in the frame for screws as the battery and controller sit right behind that area. I might get lucky and find the area with just some wires, but even then it would make sliding the controller/sub 2S battery in and out a real PITA.
Similar to your suggestion, I had the idea to affix some plastic swivel points/hinges to some thick wire/steel rod bent to shape. Then I can rotate the clip up to the latch when in use and quickly/easily rotate away when removing and pressing the latch down.
An even better idea I just had is to use another seat quick release skewer/slider. Actually I wish I had thought of this originally as I probably could have not used as many magnets on the bag/frame and gotten it to work with these. :lol:
https://store.bicycleman.com/products/b ... iders-pair

I kind of wish I hadn't found this website as there's heaps of stuff I want to get for my BikeE now. :roll:

Cheers

markz
10 GW
10 GW

Post by markz » Oct 22, 2017 1:58 pm

Is the stock seat comfortable?
How much did you pay for yours?

Cowardlyduck
10 MW
10 MW

Post by Cowardlyduck » Oct 22, 2017 7:45 pm

markz wrote:Is the stock seat comfortable?
How much did you pay for yours?
Yeah, it's reasonably comfortable. I find I can start to get a bit sore after more than 60km, but I don't do that distance often so it's not a problem.

I bought the bike in original form off a mate for $100AUD. That's pretty cheap though and if I were after another one I would be prepared to pay up to $400 I think.

Cheers

Cowardlyduck
10 MW
10 MW

Post by Cowardlyduck » Nov 06, 2017 4:24 am

So the parts to make my bag hook arrived.
I managed to bend most of the QR skewer into the right shape using a hammer and clamp, but made a mistake on the last section. Bending it back straight and then back into shape again proved too much for it to handle and the skewer metal fatigued and snapped.

I've got another one on order, and next time I will use a blow torch to heat it as I hammer it. Hopefully that will prevent it snapping again. Anyone got any other suggestions?

Cheers

Cowardlyduck
10 MW
10 MW

Post by Cowardlyduck » Nov 12, 2017 5:50 pm

Over the last week my solar panel started playing up and the charging display was not showing anything.
Over the weekend I investigated and narrowed it down to the panel itself. So I removed the panel and in the process managed to put a large crack in it:

So I've ordered a replacement solar panel...this time a 30W panel which is only slightly larger. The old one was 18W, so nearly twice the power for only about 15% size increase is pretty good IMO.
I tested the old panel and while it does still work it is only able to put out about 0.3A shorted which is 2/3 down on it's original capability. I hate seeing things go to waste, so I decided to recycle it into a LED light for my kids fort.
I used an old 14.4V NiCad drill battery and a momentary switch. Since the panel is now only capable of 2.5W output at best, it should not matter that it's technically overcharging the battery.

I'm forever telling my kids not to play with the light switches in the house...now they have one they can press as many times as they like.
The other wires are not part of the light setup...this is an activity board with all sorts of wires, connections and other things for the kids to play with.

Cheers

Cowardlyduck
10 MW
10 MW

Post by Cowardlyduck » Nov 20, 2017 5:55 am

Well after two more failures at bending QR skewers into shape, I finally got it to work using the last one I had left. :D
It turns out I wasn't adding enough heat when bending last time around.

This time I heated the crap out of it...which also caused part of the mount to crack off. :( But I don't think it will prevent it from working anyway and it seems strong enough as is.

A few quick tests and it seems to work exactly as intended. The bag cannot come off once the latch is hooked on, I can very easily slide the bag into position without having to push down the latch and it's very easy to push down the latch to take the bag off.

I'm very glad I persisted through 3 failures first or I wouldn't have gotten it to work.

Cheers

Cowardlyduck
10 MW
10 MW

Post by Cowardlyduck » Dec 07, 2017 6:22 am

So today I finally took the new 30W solar panel for a spin today. This panel is about 30% larger, but offers 60% more power. :D

I mounted it last week, but due to non-stop rain since then I haven't had a chance to test it till today. I didn't notice any increased drag riding and if anything it's come down slightly, as today I used about 15Wh/Km which is slightly under my average.
In order to mount it I had to shift the panel up higher than my last one as it would have interfered with my pedalling otherwise. This meant I had to position it out much further so it doesn't interfere with my brake levers. A really long bolt and a bunch of spacers solved that problem but the unsecured top part of the panel then started to vibrate and move about lots. Since my light is attached to the very top of the panel, this was very annoying as it would throw the beam all over the place, not to mention it would be very puzzling to oncoming traffic. I solved it by pulling the top part of the panel where the light mounts tight with some string to a bolt on the top of the stem which also gives the very top a slight curve back as this is a flexible panel.
Ideally it would be mounted more horizontal to catch more sun, but even in this position it works surprisingly well.

The biggest change I immediately noticed compared to my last (18W) panel is the ability this panel has to charge the battery even when no direct sunlight is on it. My 18W panel would only charge the battery if it had direct sunlight with minimal or no shading. This panel is able to continue to charge at 0.5-1.5W even when facing away from the sun or in shade.
Testing in direct sun I managed a 17W charge rate which is more than double the highest charge rate I ever saw from the 18W panel of 7W. After leaving it out all day to charge in my usual parking spot at work where it gets direct sunlight for about 6-7 hours at this time of year, I got 60Wh of charge. :shock: :D
This is just under double the previous panels best daily charge amount. :)
If I could be bothered repositioning the panel throughout the day to catch the most sun, I'm sure it could even manage 100Wh on a cloudless summers day. At that rate, I would be able to fully charge the battery from completely empty in about 7 days and get about 6.5km range per day. Even at 60Wh, it's giving me about 4km range per day and would fully charge the battery from empty in about 12 days.

Next on the to do list is to better secure the rear Toppeak bag. I had it come off the other day when hitting a huge bump that launched it off the hook. It's also sliding sidway's sometimes, so I'm hoping to solve both problems with some more magnets on the corners right at the very back of the tail.

Cheers