Doc and Luke's Death-Bike!!

Doctorbass

100 GW
I made a trip to Scott Valley to see my friend Luke ( Liveforphysics) during my vacation in California last 2 weeks.

Luke is really a nice man and he accepted to let me try that famous legendary Death-bike he built! 8)

I was really cautious with the throttle after some spectacular event happened with it in 2011 : http://youtu.be/NCpzXIPXdAQ

so i was gentle on the throttle :wink:

But i finally goes close to WOT :twisted: :twisted:

That thing is awsome !!!

Thanks you so much Luke!

Driving 9 hours detour to see you was nothing compare to the great time i spent with you my frined!

[youtube]kjLUAkWoOEE[/youtube]

Doc

The pleasure was all mine my friend. I think I've got some pictures of you in the DP1E as well. Just got some good work in on it tonight. :)

Stunning Doc!
This Death-bike is a real stallion.
So much power to wight. I like it.
The bicycle helm made you realy look like a lycra (without doping :mrgreen: ) :wink:

Hi,

Great EV grin!

Does the bike still have the golden motor and the Sevcon controller?

Hi,

Drokz said:
Any Specs? motor ? battery's???
More info here (be sure to watch the video on the first page 8) ):
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=34628&
liveforphysics said:
Bazaki said:
Very very nice ! I love these extreme projects !!
Can you share the specs with us ??
Sure, it's a simple parts list.

Scratch built cro-mo frame

White brothers groove 200 fork, shortened to 3" of travel by my buddy in like 15mins.

Motorcycle brake with floating rotor adapted to a bicycle hub

25S 25Ah of Nano's

This controller:
http://electricmotorsport.com/ev-pa...-motor-controllers/sevcon-gen4-36-48-279.html
Sevcon Gen4 72-80V 550A for Brushless PM Motors
This motor fitted with external sine/cosine rotor position encoder:
HPM-10KW%203D.jpg

Combine these parts with hours of a Sevcon controller tuning experts time on a motorcycle dyno (thank you Ryan), and you're set.

I took it to lunch today, riding with a friend on his motorcycle. A motorcycle cop had somebody pulled over on the side of the road. I slowed down to 25'ish, and made a show of turning the pedals as we passed by. No trouble. :)

For around town, I think it's faster than being on a superbike, and WAY more fun to be able to get in the bike lane or sidewalk whenever you like. I really enjoy it. It's just a nice comfortable, quiet, clean, and reliable machine, that has never left me disappointed in the acceleration department.

It's fun to ride up stair cases as well, it's just effortless, you can just torque up them as slow or fast as you want, never worry about stalling or something. Nice to get great parking in bike racks too. :)

I think it's my favorite 2 wheel'd transportation option right now, and this is coming a guy with 4 motorcycles, including the best possible dirt machine and the meanest superbike.

liveforphysics said:
grindz145 said:
Your not water cooling that thing are you? I imagine the water cooled version could be Brutal... :!:
I have the WC version on a shelf.

This is brutal enough for me. We are only running at like 60% controller settings.

Epic bike, looks like so much fun. I also can't believe that rear-wheel holds up.

Anyone that's ridden this thing ever slammed in to a bump/pothole by accident? :)

The drivetrain also has ~2.5x more HP now than we were able to achieve with the old golden motor. There is only 1 of this exact spec of motor in the world that deathbike uses. Very similar to Zero SR drivetrain, but when Doc was riding it, it's only on a size4 rather than size 6.

Thats the kind of "toy" that i would end up killing myself if i had the chance to get a ride hahahahaha. Amazing bike!!

Nice one Doc. Unfortunately deathbike was in pieces around this time last year when I visited the US and met Luke but a ride on the prototype Zero SR more than made up for it (am I allowed to talk about that now Luke ? :p )
As you said Luke is an awesome dude and lengthy drives to visit him and play with his toys that he graciously lets us ride are totally worth it :)

Did you get a chance open it up a little or just ride back and forwards past Luke's house ? When I rode the SR I was like you leaning way forward expecting it to come up but after a few minutes and getting more confidence I was able to give it 3/4 throttle pretty much off the line and it stayed planted surprisingly well. It just grips and catapults you towards the horizon 8) I may or may not have accidentally exceeded the speed limit for a few seconds on the stretch of straight road down past the school :p

Insane build Luke. Have you had any trouble with the law? Any plans on housing the battery in a tank? You might be able to use a small 70's Japanese motorcycle tank. Thanks Doctor Bass and Live for physics you guys are a constant inspiration.

That looks like so much fun! I'm surprised that rear tire wasn't breaking loose. Thanks Doc and Luke for sharing this with us

Love it Luke, that's my sons name too. Fantastic work! I've been running Hub motors currently Crown and Cro motor. with twelve- zippy 5.8v linked together, for 121v in DP Phasors. Time to step it up! and get into mid-drives, more power and more battery. I'm going to build a legal super fast, freaky,freeway fast, street legal reverse trike. I'm going to the use vin # from a 400 hp? (I already have a YZ 250 swing arm with monoshock) street legal swing arm to pass California DMV rules. Registered and insured, shouldn't be that bad.? The rest of my platform is going to be Exomotive's Eco-Exo-R frame and steering package. should be able to keep it under 300lbs. Uber fast, with 200 mile range. regen braking ect.... Why not? I'm in Placerville California. could use your help an expertise. Thank s Mike. :twisted: :mrgreen:

Sad I never got to ride it when I was there... :( But that gives me one more reason to make another trip down :)

Neato seein drbass on the space shuttle . 8)

Just realized how friggin' big that motor is on that bike. Too much (in your case, never enough)! :lol:

Turned on the tv and "worlds craziest fools" was on, hosted by "MR T " and i couldnt believe my eyes when this bike was on it, for a few sec [ the clip where " now you know this bike is dangerous " ]
Funny thing it was described as a dirt bike.

What would make a clip like that perfect would be Mr Physics himself riding it it for the first time, at least first time in the hills, etc. The others are trying to talk him into taking it easy, he's saying 'It's only dangerous to someone who doesn't know what he's doing. I've been riding for. . . . I wouldn't have built it if I couldnt'. . . .'

Oh, best if he was heading into the sunset. . . .

I'm sure this famous phrase that Luke said will remain in the history!!

that's so epic ! 8)

AND YOU KNOW THE BIKE IS DANGEROUS!!...

Luke, would you care to speculate on what power & times your Deathbike might achieve when optimised for the 1/4 mile drag strip? A couple of friends run a top fuel dragbike and I'd love to discuss the potentials of electric drive. I've already got the numbers for Lawless record holder memorised ;)

Back