PRW's custom aluminium allrounder

Samd

10 MW
He says it's for his wife, lucky partner!

I've been converting this frame for ES-user PRW and we decided to start a build thread.

Status so far:
IMG_20140709_224822.jpg

The donor bike was a bargain NOS old-school Diamondback with some good thick walls and other neat features. The australian importer had this frame as a potential warranty replacement and finally cleared it out so we nabbed a bargain.

It always feels a little wicked hitting them with a hacksaw.

After an allround sandlblast the tank was designed around being able to handle 5s lipo as 15s 10 to 20 Ah, or also take nine bricks of the 6s 4.5Ahr lifepo4 from Hk.

Door in the base with a simple plate.

A pickup back from the coaters last week reveals a really nice result - primed and powdercoated for durability.

View attachment 1

One of the nice things about being into 3d printers is it allows you to draft some torque plates for problematic dropouts, before paying for the final cutting.
PRWdrops.png

I've started to assemble the bike and it's looking pretty neat.

PRW is still deciding on a final drive choice.
IMG_20140713_192754.jpg

IMG_20140713_195410.jpg

IMG_20140713_195455.jpg

I have to chime in here, to acknowledge how brilliant I think the frame is, and to express my appreciation in all the advice and assistance Sam (and Jay) has provided, dealing with a total noob with oh so many stupid questions... :D

Thanks Peter! I'm looking forward to hearing how the two speed Patterson crankset ends up - it has me quite intrigued.

I'll be sad to box this one up and post it off. But there's always the allure of the next project. Better get my next frame off the the blasters! :mrgreen:

thanks Deffx - it looks so good, I might just keep it for me!

Actually - next will be a box for an Avanti D8, once Sam has had a chance to think about it...

That definitely is one very good looking and exceptionally functional frame - props Samd! Just a quick query, what's the dimensions on the battery box?
PRW - yet another piece of machinery you're going to have to let me have a spin on...
What's your thought's re: motor? Lightweight geared hubbie or a DD with a little more meat?

Hey DK, thanks...
box is approximately 105mm wide, 460mmm long, and 125 to 175mm high. Plan is 18s LiFePo4, 13.5ah, and one of Hyena's Neutron geared hubs. I would like to keep it fairly light.

Dark Knight said:
That definitely is one very good looking and exceptionally functional frame - props Samd! Just a quick query, what's the dimensions on the battery box?
PRW - yet another piece of machinery you're going to have to let me have a spin on...
What's your thought's re: motor? Lightweight geared hubbie or a DD with a little more meat?

Hey folks, the file was a bit small so it didn't embed, but you can get the rough dims from the picture link here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=141929

Well the batts and BMS are good to go. Time to "stuff it all in" (with lots of well secured foam) and wait for the Hyena powerplant :mrgreen:
I'll heatshield the BMS so the shunts are well separated from the batteries.
928325_734720389928261_1080875692_n.jpg

I also intend to fit one of these new charger points under the headstem gussets out of sight, with a little bit of shelter from the elements to boot.
XT60.jpg

I've been tossing up giving my various frames a name. I'm a fan of old german Marques and BAER isn't trademarked. Paid a graffiti artist to throw it around - worth a giggle. I guess one day it'd be nice to shuffle off this mortal coil and know that the frames are not hanging about nameless somewhere :pancake:
baer_ebikes.jpg
I won't plaster it all over this frame Peter :wink:

looking great - thanks Sam!
Samd said:
I've been tossing up giving my various frames a name. I'm a fan of old german Marques and BAER isn't trademarked. Paid a graffiti artist to throw it around - worth a giggle. I guess one day it'd be nice to shuffle off this mortal coil and know that the frames are not hanging about nameless somewhere :pancake:
baer_ebikes.jpg
I won't plaster it all over this frame Peter :wink:
well, unless you pay for advertising rights.... :D
the stealthy thing would go out the window a bit, unfortunately.

Ha! Yes! I agree.
Perhaps your frame will some day be considered the Gmund Porsche 356 of the ebike world...

Samd said:
Ha! Yes! I agree.
Perhaps your frame will some day be considered the Gmund Porsche 356 of the ebike world...
yip, I guess Picasso's first customers are kicking themselves... "no, don't sign it, you'll mess it up..."

A work of art!

A guy who is hard tuning a Palatov electric car says it's a work of art?
I'm going to be happy and smiling all week...

Thanks Luke, your feedback is extremely motivating to me. I find your projects a source of constant ideas and inspiration man.

Just depends on the area and the donor frame.

Front end done tonight, seat added.
14630-1.jpg

Back