CrossOver Dirt/RR bike with XD 2 speed motor

panurge

10 kW
Hey guys

I would like to share this strange build....I think it's interesting for the electric system as for the Bike itself.

In fact is An incredible example of unexpected compatibilities among different perdiods and field intended bike's components, with my like for crossovers, that has generated this Hybrid Thing...... has the XD 2Speed hubmotor http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58490
DSCF9023.JPGDSCF9022.JPGDSCF9021.JPGDSCF9024.JPGDSCF9018.JPG
Specs:

ONION SAM 1.8 Kg dirt-jump 7020 Prism pipe frame
ONION FishHook Dropout system 29" version
SRAM howitzer freeride crankset (46t),
CAMPAGNOLO 10 speed levers, that You may trust or not but I've managed to match almost perfectly a
SUNTOUR procompe 15-32 5 speed freewheel unit
DEDA bar and stem,
Shimano LX mechs
FRM 85mm CNA/carbon straight 26" XC fork (1080g).
Ambrosio Rims 36h rear, 32h front
Sapim butted spokes (3 cross for both wheels)
XD 2speed rear hubmotor (24" 36v )
Peel Components Titanium front hub prototype
Look pedals
Cross tires
Thumb throttle integrated into the cx handlebar in some way :wink:
10s lipos 5Ah
23kph low gear/45Kph High gear (no load)
16kg total weight (could reach maybe 14.5 with lighter crankset/seatpost/rims/chain and small bits)
15km of unassisted power

WORK IN PROGRESS:

- use the left shifter as a throttle lever (It could be done with some work with these Campagnolo, blocking the upshift small lever in some way, will disengage the index pawl, so that it could works as a simple spring cable puller, I'm looking for gwhy!'s throttle box upgrade http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=58801#p877794

- find or make an handlebar mount for a cable to hydro setup using MTB brakes, there are many way to do this, is a well covered configuration by cross racers, and even Magura, TRP and others make some (expensive) cable to hydro kits....and have seen even a cable to hydro caliper without any hose.....now with the next rim brakes switch-off, this will be a little interesting market, I think....
This is what seems the simple way to go (has the chicken lever advantage but a bit invasive...)
dbikes_formula_detail_600.jpg

Many other more refined DIY ways to go....

A short commute with a small climb and a great final view....
You may look at the speed (in kph) in various situations pausing the video when I look at the handlebar....
the camera is a standard camera secured to the helmet in some trivial way, so it don't gives the true speed feeling...
[youtube]mOVpC6N1PGs[/youtube]

Awesome, that's cranking along nicely for a low watt machine, is the speedo in kmh or mph?

Either way it looks like it's outdoing my current low watt (but heavy) setup, I think I'll be going for the 36v (with current 12s Lifepo4) 24" 700c setup myself as it certainly isn't lacking in torque even with the 24" windings.
My all alloy hybrid should come today (about 13kg with rack and fenders), then once I ascertain drop-out measurement etc. I'll be getting the XD, and spokes and rims etc... it's certainly not as light as your setup but hopefully on the 20kg mark, till I upgrade to a light Li-NiCoMn, I am pretty light too which helps (under 60kg)

the speedo is in Kph.... :wink: the <combo here is KT SqController +KT old Display. 40Kph max speed and 17-20kph climbing steep hills is what it does, but I'm waiting to find a wide road BB/crankset and mount a proper 52t chainring....remember, I've only a 15t rear as smaller cog....
Speedo is pretty accurate, I've proved it with my metric wheel method, although it is pretty slow updating the speed....mostly when it vary fast....maybe this could even be one of the reasons for the crazy autoshift, now that I think about...
Actually after 200 kilometrs made with this controller on the 2 bikes, it starts to be even more unpredictable, often starting in high gear even from dead.... :?: who can say what happens? I strongly need a new combo, have not yet decided which one...I'm looking at a pair of Controller alternative that have the reverse function and to which it is possible to program and even write firmware to try control it....I have even an Arduino guy that offered his help to implement a code for that.....we will see....

I've also access to a Tacs actually to make some static test, measurement, ecc....it takes up to 1000+w so it's perfect for these low watts setups....even mixed with pedal power....I'm excited to start using it....I will put even a CA or a datalog wattmeter on it...

I just got the new KT controller >400 for the last number in the serial. and it works just about perfectly. Down and up shifts when it is supposed to with just a bit more lag then I would like but still fine. I think it is also Sinewave, and is very quiet.
otherDoc

yes, thanks oDoc, your report on the new KT is of great help and I think I will go for that....My Lishui+KM still works perfectly, but If the 15-12 Kph speed change is Ok for the small Fat, Here I would like more a 18-15 kph....we will see....

panurge said:
... mount a proper 52t chainring....remember, I've only a 15t rear as smaller cog....

Actually after 200 kilometrs made with this controller on the 2 bikes, it starts to be even more unpredictable, often starting in high gear even from dead.... :?: who can say what happens? I strongly need a new combo, have not yet decided which one...I'm looking at a pair of Controller alternative that have the reverse function and to which it is possible to program and even write firmware to try control it....

Yep I hear ya regarding needing higher gearing I am planning 11/48t but will see if it will fit in the dropout or if I need to engineer a 7SP DNP cut-down to a 5sp starting at 11t (like this http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27108 ) Though if I found a cheapish 52t supporting short pedals (I like 162.5mm cranks gentle on knee) I'd get onto that too.

The new bike arrived it's pretty sweet compared to my heavy previous model, but 15kg not the reported 13, still will be an improvement, will see how I fare with the 135 dropout.
It would be GREAT to get a programmable controller, and be able to set the auto-change at ones personal sweet-spot, I also wonder with 3rd party controllers do they need more than polarity reversing?, will the hall sensors still operate the same or does it need code for that too?

Do you think a 24"/700c 36v will still push me well if I pedal only when I have to?

My bike is quite good to pedal without power....if you achieve a reasonably light setup with a good bike and good components, you'll be able to commute without power better than most common bike you can see around....the motor is also perfect to work alone without pedal assist, with the low gear...it is efficient and does not overheat.

About the bike:

I've ordered the gwhy!'s cable to hall puller box, and waiting keen for it....to be acted by the left integrated shifter that I don't use anymore with a single front chainring....

I've figured out this Plan:

-The gwhy!'s throttle actuated by the left Campag shifter lever, should work also in a legalized mode, so I can choose between a normal throttle or a throttle that works only under cadence detection (throttle legalizer)
- At this point, in legal mode, the 3 shifting indexes will work as a 3 level PAS + an extra throttle at the end of the level 3, Otherwise, In normal throttle mode, the 3 indexes will work as a 3 level autocruise, or, keeping the thumb upshifter down the puller lever will work as a normal spring loaded throttle.

Ebrake on the right lever, should be a good idea here....

That setup should be amazing!! what do you think guys? has anyone experiences on similar things?

Pictures when I'll get the parts......

panurge said:
- At this point, in legal mode, the 3 shifting indexes will work as a 3 level PAS + an extra throttle at the end of the level 3, Otherwise, In normal throttle mode, the 3 indexes will work as a 3 level autocruise, or, keeping the thumb upshifter down the puller lever will work as a normal spring loaded throttle.

I like that plan, and it would be awesome to have a 'legal mode switch' so it's suddenly limited to 25kph and pas.
I have been looking for a cruise option too, pondering if the one pictured in this thread will work with the controller... though it's big and bright... which I don't like;
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63288&p=947207&hilit=+cruise+control+cut+off#p947207

At the moment I have a knotted string tied to the thumb throttle, when I want cruise, I hold thumb on and hook the string into the brake lever hinge....
Works really well and as soon as I brake the string is released and cruise disengaged.
I wish someone could make an electric one with similar logic, I'd like an accelerator dial too, so I can wind it up/down speed, but still know that all I do is tap the brake and all cruise is disabled...

Back