Raptor 140 build and tutorial thread

Hyena

10 GW
Hey guys,
I'm creating this raptor 140 thread as a bit of a more of an informative / instructional / tutorial type thread.
I've posted a fair bit to the other general raptor threads and alot of what I'm doing and my various builds in my own build thread but that's getting pretty lengthy these days and with regular updates about all and sundry I wanted to keep this one for raptor specific stuff. I've been getting alot of PMs about just how involved it is to build up a bike like this from scratch so hopefully this will answer those questions without noobs having to trawl through various threads and hundreds of pages of posts.

First up, an unboxing video - this shows what you'll get. This is the very first raptor 140 frame shipped so I was slightly vague in my narration as I'd never seen any of it before either.

[youtube]DrKwU5KKFWY[/youtube]

Next up I've just made this semi-time lapse vid of assembling the basics of the frame and suspension.
I'll make another video shortly detailing the fitting of all the electrics and some of the other parts, though all the other generic bicycle specific stuff should be widely available on youtube (eg fitting bottom brackets, adjusting brakes etc)
I've gone into a bit more detail on how to fit the headset in this vid using 'backyard' methods as most who are attempting building their first bike probably dont have a full complement of bicycle specific tool like headset presses, nor do you particularly need them. I've also shown this method (including greasing the head tube and putting the cups in the freezer first) as Rod commented in his build thread he had trouble fitting his headset and ended up using a heavy duty hydraulic press that the vast majority of us probably dont have access to)

[youtube]zkqM1QeARds[/youtube]

Any particular photo / video requests, post them up :)
Also check out the general raptor 140 discussion thread here:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60903

BTW, as per most of my vids the above are in 1080p HD so watch them in full screen and click on the HD icon for maximum clarity.

Hey Jay, any interest in adding an electrical portion to the thread? I was thinking of doing so with my second Raptor but all the headache I am having with the first build makes me think I should not lead someone down my path of tribulations! lol...

I could, but the electrical side of things is more individualized depending on what you're building. The key switch and charge ports are the only universal bits, and well, they're just 2 wires each so not exactly difficult. But wiring up the controller, CA and other bits can be complicated if you don't spring for a plug and play kit.

I've been doing most of my kits lately as a frame and electrics package because of this reason. Basically a sealed up, ready to use main triangle with battery and controller fitted and wired up. Then you just need to plug in the CA and motor wires and the rest is normal bicycle construction.

I might make some more general electrical tutorials in the future if I can get time. The problem is I'm struggling to find time to actually build bikes at all at the moment, let alone time to video stuff and then edit it all. I haven't been for a ride in well over a month and I've got many rides worth of footage from prior to then that I still haven't had time to edit. Maybe I should divert my efforts to that cloning machine I've been working on :p

I definitely understand the time crunch and the plug and play build seems like a better solution for those that it is available to!

Great timing Hyena. I happen to have a boxed Raptor in my garage (or whatever silly name they decided to call that company).

Look forward to your tutorial. If you use an adaptto I know personally showing how you add a key switch would be beneficial.

ohzee said:
Great timing Hyena.
Thank mammalian for the bump, this thread is from last year. haha

If you use an adaptto I know personally showing how you add a key switch would be beneficial.
Adapttos are a bit of a PITA to set up but it's well documented if you go over to the adaptto users thread. If you haven't bought one yet pay a few bucks extra to get one with the on/off wiring, then it's simply a matter of extending those wires and connecting to the key switch.

Ohzee, if you want to wire in your key switch to the adaptto (and you don't have the on/off switch like Hyena mentioned), then just splice into the red wire from the display with the key switch.

I don't think it is the same as Adaptto's On/Off switch but it turns the display off which also disables the throttle. If you are going to leave the bike for an extended period of time, just wire in a circuit breaker and kill power to the whole thing. Search for Allex's post on the subject in the Adaptto owners thread.

Thanks bud. I remember reading that somewhere , but was not sure if it killed just the display itself so good info.

I do have 2 double breakers hooked up same type as suggested. One for the charger so I can keep the charging coil connected and another for my battery.

I even have a key switch now just need to cut some wire sheathing sounds like.

Thread is helping me already.

ohzee said:
I even have a key switch now just need to cut some wire sheathing sounds like.

Yep, I took a razorblade and shaved about 1.5" off of one side of the casing to expose the wires, then just pluck the red one out and splice. I left the other side of the sheathing so if the wire gets jerked, it is still pulling on the sheathing instead of those little wires.

Back