First Electric Build: Half-Fat 29r Surly E-ECR w/ Bafang BBS

kmadd22

100 µW
Introducing, after nine months of lurking on ES, my first electric bike build; The Surly E-ECR Half-Fat Electric Bike with Bafang BBS-02 Mid Drive and 9.8ah 25R frame pack.

IKzvtMnl.jpg

After dozens of hours wasted sitting on the bus in traffic, I knew an electric bike was needed. Living is Seattle and needing to regularly get up and down the big hills (Capitol, Queen Anne) with 600ft climbs in a mile, a mid drive was my first requirement. The rest of my inspiration came from the great bikes at CycleMonkey, my office neighbor Mike @ Rad Power Bikes, and the good folks at Electric & Folding Bikes Northwest who all contributed to the conversation.

Since I knew that I would never be happy unless everything was right, expense was not the biggest consideration. My biggest consideration was to build the ebike that would be the first electric experience for a lot of people, and best equipped to spread the gospel by being dead-ass easy to use, alarmingly fun to ride, still looks like a proper bike unlike most of the goofy folding beach cruisers that many pre-made ebikes are, and bike that would make people say "I want to get around like this."

I had worked a Big 3 company for over five years and had the pleasure of living in the car dependent civilization of Detroit for that time. I love cars and know they have a very significant purpose, but more than ever I don't believe they belong in congested cities like Seattle. Since my home has terrible traffic, poor to non-existent mass transit, and a topography that has fostered a bike culture of sweating and grinding spandex-clad machismo; my bike had to be a bit of an exaggeration of comfort and speed. It also had to be safe and stop 300 lb (bike+rider) @ 30 MPH in the rain...

Surly ECR 29er Frame
Thompson X4 Stem and Seatpost
Brooks B67 Mattress Saddle
Spurcycle Grips and Bell
Surly Nice Rack
Salsa Anything Cage

Wheels:
Velocity Dually 45mm Rims
Maxis Hookword 2.5" 29er Rubber
Son28 6w Dynamo Hub (front)
Nuvinci N360 IGH (rear)
Build by Ride Bicycles Seattle

Primary Electric System (Drive):
EM3EV 47V 9.8Ah 13S4P Samsung 25R Battery
Bafang BBS-02 750w Mid Drive
Alcedo Italia 42t Chainring

Secondary Electric System:
Son28 6w hub
Busch & Mueller Luxos U Headlight w/ USB port
B&M TopLight Taillight w/ strobing brake light
Kyocera Hydro Android burner phone gor GPS and Pandora

Brakes:
Tektro Dorado HD-E710 Hydraulic Ebrakes
203mm Tektro front disc and 160mm Avid rear

Fenders and Speedict Mercury on the way for data analysis, but so far I am nothing but pleased with my new commuter bike. It is empowering to be the biggest and fastest thing on the trails, but I am mindful and try not to zip off on the grass or hop curbs to pass too often. On the streets I can keep moving with traffic when I choose to and can start/stop/go with the pace that folks here drive at, which has certainly caught some gawks.

For my initial testing and learning experience, I find I like to ride very hard on the drive. Unless rolling down hill, coasting is not interesting yet. Probably because I haven't stranded myself yet... That said, I am riding either full throttle or slowing down most of the time and really beating on the bike. It handles it superbly! Battery gets me from Ballard to the top of Capitol hill in Seattle and back in 20-30 min each way depending, which is about 6 miles with a 650 ft climb to 15th Ave.

As I digest the experience more and continue to refine the build (ahem, cable routing) I'll continue to follow up. Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Cheers!

I really like the design. It would be on sale on a store just as is standing. this is what I call a round build. :D

That battery is pretty well selected with those 25R, that made along with that invisible motor a stealth and clean build.

The rigid frame plus that fatty tires made a perfect balance between efficiency and comfort for the inner asphalt city.

I love where the real water bottle is mounted then :mrgreen:

- How about the performance with that motor?

- The headlight is fed with the main battery?

- Where the heck is the controller? :shock:

That light is fine for slower speeds. You'll need something more powerful to give you better reaction time &/or better visibilty when it's pitch black.

What's speeds are you getting with the N360 & 42t & 29+ setup?

Enjoy the ride!

Thanks Nobuo! Appreciate the kind words.

- How about the performance with that motor?

- The headlight is fed with the main battery?

- Where the heck is the controller? :shock:

The motor is the 750w Bafang who's performance has been detailed better elsewhere but it has plenty of torque for local hills and enough umph to get me to 25-28mph without pedaling.

The headlight is off of the Schmidt SON28 frond dynamo hub which puts out 6w. The dynamo also powers the taillight and USB charger for phone. Lights needed redundancy and I couldn't be left without them.

Controller is built into the motor housing and is proprietary to the Bafang. Others have wired up external controllers, but I like the minimalism of the integrated unit.

A nice build Kmadd22 I done a similar thing with a troll frame, I just added harmony electric shift to my N360 works well for comuting bike but had to grind off derailuer hanger to fit the shifter. I use swiss army ammo bags for panniers they would really suit ur bikes colour scheme if you remove the mounting plate from your sq bottle battery it will just fit inside the ammo bag.
20141020_103915(5).jpg

You beat me to it kmad22, as this is exactly what I want to do. So am I reading you right, that with the climb you get 6 miles before having to recharge? I am not familiar with Seattle and the hills, but I ask because I want to build one for bike camping and need an idea for battery size. I am jealous...I own a Pugsley and the ECR is such a cool bike.

Cheers...

You beat me to it kmad22, as this is exactly what I want to do. So am I reading you right, that with the climb you get 6 miles before having to recharge? I am not familiar with Seattle and the hills, but I ask because I want to build one for bike camping and need an idea for battery size. I am jealous...I own a Pugsley and the ECR is such a cool bike.

Thanks Fox, agreed the ECR is an excellent frame to build on for all day riding and general shit kicking.

After some time, and ultimately paying attention to my watt-meter, I have learned that letting off the throttle and giving up those last 3-4 MPH of top speed I can effectively double my range without pedaling. With a little help on the hills, and keeping consumption under 1kw I can still scoot along at 20-25MPH but nearly triple my distance to a solid 20 miles.

My lesson was to learn that WOT was not a good always on thing to do, and even a little pedaling will make a huge difference.

Cheers~

I see you have hydraulic brakes, I wonder how (whether?) you trigger the motor cut-out with your brakes? I.e. did you mount a reed switch to them, or anything? I'm coming up on that decision I think.

K

keithwins said:
I see you have hydraulic brakes, I wonder how (whether?) you trigger the motor cut-out with your brakes? I.e. did you mount a reed switch to them, or anything? I'm coming up on that decision I think.

K

Hi Keith!

I have Tektro Dorados on the ECR which have a reed switch built into the levers. I believe ebikessf even sells the levers with the bafang plugs on them.

For what it is worth, my newest build (in progress) is using the Magura Hydraulic Switches which I find to be as effective, only on better brakes with more available parts. http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30376

Zombie thread, I know. Forum foul, but your build actually got me to sign up for endless sphere so there.

You built what I am working on building. I have found a bike and with luck will have it in the next day or two. Battery I am going to assemble myself because I want a certain form factor.

You and I are roughly the same size (6'4" 240) so your experience would be close to mine.

So my question, how has the BBS02 held up as a commuter drive? I am wanting to build the same thing for about a 12 mile commute each way.

I am worried with the hills the BBS02 won't hold up and I should go with the heavier and more expensive BBSHD. I am in the D.C. Metro area so nothing obnoxious but I do have a 1/2 mile ~5% grade to get up on my route.

What has been your durability experience?

Nice build and keep it up.

keithwins said:

K
The slightest back pedaling disengages the motor enough for a shift or braking. I do run a shift interrupter though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did you have to use any spacers when mounting the motor? Or did it fit snug. How was the clearance with the chainstay? Great looking bike. I am going in the same direction and was wondering if you had any tricks or things to watch out for. My build will be on a stock 2018 ECR. Thanks

Back