Build in Progress (Video Added On Oct. 5th)

BSATOM

1 W
This is a 1996 GT LTS3 frame with 1999 Marzocchi Bomber BAM Z2 forks.
Mxus 4t with 12g Sapim SS spokes laced into an Alex DM24 rim.
Femco dual wall front wheel for now.
Kenda K838 tires on order.
Hallomotor sine wave controller with LCD and regen braking (that might be a six step in reality from looking at the controller chip PDF).
New old stock Sanyo UF103450P cells that have individual fuses. Here is a link to a PDF http://www.meircell.co.il/files/Sanyo%20UF103450P.pdf I put a piece of that very thin very tough plastic used on laptop batteries in between each cell for isolation. Each stack of 14 cells is wrapped in 4 layers of Gorilla tape. The entire battery box is also lined with that plastic that I found at Ace hardware. Three ring binders are made of it so I bought two to line the battery box with. It is held on with spray adhesive. The cell packs fit perfectly.
Things I custom made are the battery box, 2 inch swingarm extensions using 7000 series aluminum just like the frame is made of, steel torque plates with edge catching nuts on grade 8 studs(they clamp fine with no deflection and hold the axle tight), staggered dual threaded controller mounting stand offs etc.
I need to wire up the battery pack(14s 14p) and controller up and install the 80A fuse I have in my parts stash.
This pack is permanently installed in the aluminum box with charge and balance connectors mounted on the back of the box. Soon I will get a BMS. I have 4 24v 1000w supplies to series up as I wish, so a BMS makes sense for the future.
The front 8 cells make a 16v 3.6ah pack for the 10w CREE headlamp I will run.
These batteries cost next to nothing and will put out 50a solid in this configuration. Hopefully 50 volts will be fast enough up top. It will be about a 21 amp hour pack based on 3.75 amp discharge tests of individual cells.
For a bonus there is a shot of a Schwinn Varsity trike with custom made axle and box. Those are Suntour steel forks with a MXUS 2807 motor. Old growth recycled redwood box with aluminum angle rescued from the scrap yard. More on that when it is done.

Attachments

• DSCF4955 (Small).JPG
    DSCF4955 (Small).JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 1,491
  • DSCF4961 (Small).JPG
    DSCF4961 (Small).JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 1,491
  • DSCF4968 (Small).JPG
    DSCF4968 (Small).JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 1,491
  • DSCF4962 (Small).JPG
    DSCF4962 (Small).JPG
    89 KB · Views: 1,491
  • DSCF4964 (Small).JPG
    DSCF4964 (Small).JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 3,416
  • DSCF4960 (Small).JPG
    DSCF4960 (Small).JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 1,491
Yes, the LCD and controller are $45 each at Hallomotor. They also have a kit if you need throttle, PAS, levers, and speed sensor. It is just over $100 right now. The screen plugs right in to the controller.
I am waiting on power connectors before I can run it. It will be next week when I know if it is a true sinusoidal wave output or the suspected six step output. I will watch the output on my oscilloscope and maybe make a video. I have read that six step motor drive is better than true sine wave for torque at low speed in brushless hall sensor motors. It sure will not be totally silent though. I put my money on six step, seeing as that is what the PDF for the MCU stated it is. See ya in a week with the straight dope on this Hallomotor "SINE WAVE" controller. I will report on the functionality of the LCD also.

IT'S ALIVE!
Changes made.
Installed the Kenda K838 tires.
Got some extra money and bought three 6s 20.0 Multistar LiPos from Hobby King. Now the bike runs on 18s with 20 amp-hour max capacity.
I wired a system so I can charge them individually or bulk, balance or no, all without removing them from the bike.
I used 24a rated banana panel jacks and computer serial connectors for the balancing outputs, with an exterior balancing harness to connect each battery to the charger individually.
I used Turnigy 10ga wire for battery to controller, 8ga Turnigy wire from controller to hub motor and Alpha 5859/12 silver tinned teflon wire through the axle to the windings (about 6 inches long). All calculations indicate less than 1 percent voltage drop at 75v 100a with that setup.
I added the 80vdc 80a breaker(100a trip) and a pre-charge momentary button with a 100 ohm 8 watt resistor. I wanted zero switching arc in my breaker, which doubles as an on off switch.
I am waiting on a $18 wattmeter and a $10 speedometer as I cannot afford a CA v3 yet.
The motor is a MXUS 4t from KINAYE MOTORSPORTS.
About the Hallomotor controller...
The sine wave controller from Hallomotor/Conhismotor is not a sine wave according to my ears. Is was not silent, and I had hub motor resonance when rolling slow in my yard. I still want to drag my scope out and look at it on there.
It has soft start and is 48v so it is not correct for this bike anymore anyway, so I am putting it in the Schwinn Varsity trike because the front wheel spins easy on that. The LCD does allow 5 different strengths of regen braking, and setup for number of magnets in the motor along with many other settings on throttle and PAS etc. But, it is definitely NOT true sine wave. No regen charge, just brakes. The regen brakes are very noisy with harmonic resonance in the hub when braking.
SO...I put the $14.99 Sunwin controller from Ebay on this bike and tripped my 100a breaker on the first run. I had to stay off full throttle the rest of the ride so it would not trip again. Better replace the soldered up shunt....
WOW! This controller is a world class sleeper. It pulls the front wheel up at over 30mph if I roll it on. It was barely warm after the ride. The traces are even heavily soldered with extra strips of copper layered in. Now THAT'S a hot rodders bargain.
The regen brake on it is quiet, unlike the supposed sine wave controller. It has instant start. It has self learn, which appeared to figure out and rearrange the hall signals for proper running so I did not have to manually switch them around. It has cruise control(which I do not use). It has 3 speeds( I hard wired high speed). This controller can be run on 48, 60, 72, or 84v by only bridging two solder pads for each voltage inside. OK OK.
Thanks for reading my long winded rant. I am all smiley right now. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• DSCF5045 (Small).JPG
    DSCF5045 (Small).JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 3,080
  • DSCF5016 (Small).JPG
    DSCF5016 (Small).JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 3,080
  • DSCF5003 (Small).JPG
    DSCF5003 (Small).JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 3,080
  • DSCF5013 (Small).JPG
    DSCF5013 (Small).JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 3,080
HKsunwin is the seller. Search for "controller" in their items. The lowest price one is usually a 72v 500w one for $14.99 opening bid. It seems like these might be refurbs, because my newest one has obviously had 2 caps replaced because they left the silastic from the previous caps on the board. Yes, they glue down the caps in these. I replaced the shunt in this one last night, I am about to go test it. I am also trying a Domino throttle in place of my prized >$10 modified Chinese Hall throttle.

I hope you realized that I was talking about the Sunwin (silver) controller and not the black one in the earlier pictures. The silver one I found by seller hksunwin on ebay, but with the way the sellers are, this might be the same group as Hallomotor.

Nope, I was brain twisted. I corrected my post. Sorry for the confusion.

Here is a video of me riding the bike while monitoring the power real time with a camera. This helped me to see that the breaker was tripping right at 80 amps and not 100 as I had thought(and is written on the breaker). I have a 100 amp breaker coming. I also was monitoring the new 10 year old Cane Creek AR5 shock. It looks great functioning on video, and feels much better than the 19 year old Rockshox Deluxe it replaced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-HjicID6zw

Here is a link to the controller thread.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71128

Back