Oops! I did it again.......

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegI built another ebike, this time a Magic Pie 5 for the street. I converted an old recumbent I bought years ago and I am using my trusty 20.5af PF triangle pack. I fabbed a battery mount from some alloy angle I had leftover from another project and used bungees to hold it in place. Only a couple of test rides around the neighborhood, but it climbs my hill!!!!

The bike has a Shockster rear suspension since every bump will be going straight up my spine! It also has an ancient suspension front hub with about 1/4" of travel :lol: I took off my 9-speed cassette and replaced it with a 6-speed freewheel and I have the lowest ring on the chainwheel locked out with the limiter.

spinningmagnets said:
The "Shockster" is no longer in production, but...they can occasionally be found for sale. Nice!

I got mine last fall NIB from Lightning bikes, the people who built the bike. It's specially altered to fit this specific frame.....or so they said in the ad! Anyway, I didn't mind paying retail for a discontinued item.

this looks like the best application of a shockster ive seen!!
I rode one about 15 years ago on a hardtail XC bike....it was rubbish as it would bob on every pedal stroke, I take it the recumbent removes that problem to some extent?

No, there is no bobbing or reaction to pedaling. But on a 25.5mi ride today, I didn't pedal much anyway. The Shockster and the battery mount have stiffened up the frame to a noticeable fashion and mounting the battery down low on the bike helps a good handling bike be even better. It makes a good electric motorbike for the bike paths, it tops out at 32mph and cruises easily at 12 to 20 mph. I used 504w according to my inline wattmeter, so I should have a decent range on motor only since the pack is 20.5ah. BTW, the wattmeter showed I used 5.82ah so, on the flat, I have a theoretical range of about 75 miles without pedaling.

Now I have to find a way to get the cruise control in the Magic Pie to work: the spring in the Golden Motors thumb throttle is waaay too strong to hold onto for so long..... It I sure is fun to ride though!!! Handles like a sportscar, has great acelleration and 30mph is fast enough on the flats for me. The tires felt great and had great traction, plus it coasted forever, but the 10 year-old Cool-Stop pads seem to be a bit hardened and howled/squealed a bit.

Hi there. Could You tell me please how wide a tire can one fit in that Shokster and how wide is the axle? Would it fit a Felt cruiser?

Back