Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

Show off your E-bike creation here.

Re: Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

Postby dingoEsride » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:43 pm

nice vid Jay, I'll race ya! aussies LFP and nice stealthy looking frame
ride like the wind
dingoEsride
10 kW
10 kW

Postby Hyena » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:54 am

I had a good ride today. I went back out to the 'bad lands' that I've posted previously and was able to hit it up at much higher speed on my fighter due to the suspension (too rough and bumpy to take at speed on my hardtail)

It's a 10km ride there so I kept the speed down to around 30km/hr to save as much power as possibly for blasting around. The result was only 2ah used to get there which is pretty good. Based on this economy if taking it easy I could get up to 90km range from my pack! Once there and nailing it around my CA showed double that figure 2 minutes later :lol:

On the way back I came across a few dirt bikes so rode with them for a bit - until they stalled and then later got stuck in steep rock/muddy part of the track so I triumphantly went on without them :P
I also came across an athletics track that no one was using so just HAD to cut a few quick laps.
Here's a vid of that until I get around to editing the rest

www.HyenaElectricBikes.com
Aussie high powered and custom e-bike kits____New Qulbix Raptor 140 frames now available!
My build and HD video thread____. My youtube channel____ Hyena Facebook page
My bike is writing cheques my body can't cash...
Hyena
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Scruffoid » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:19 am

Mate isnt it always anti clockwise around the running tracks :lol:
Hyena Electric Ebike Kit
Crystalyte 3525 Pimped out / 12 FET infineon / xie chang board with 4110 Fets / 22S3P - 90V/15AH Lipo
4KW (45A limited) - 67Km/Hr Max
Build Thread - http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38000&p=553791#p553791
Scruffoid
100 W
100 W

Postby RallySTX » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:23 am

Too cool for school vid!
Brian L.
Brian Larson CST. KC9DAK.
Janesville WI.
2005 Schwinn Stingray Spoiler
2004 Schwinn Stingray OCC. The Stripper.
Build thread
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22134&p=322312
Web. http://www.wix.com/brian_larson/rallystx128hhj

RallySTX
10 kW
10 kW

Postby Spicerack » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:02 am

Sweet Jay, sweet.
Norco Shore2
Was Cellman MAC rear oil cooled then 8x8 9C vented and temp probed now 9x7 9C vented and temp probed!
12 FET controller
62V 18650 home made battery pack
50 km/h
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32769
MAC Repair thread http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34806
Oil cooling the MAC hubbie http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37972
Spicerack
10 kW
10 kW

Postby knoxie » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:34 pm

yes awesome! think you should drop it in to the stealth owners thread too buddy :D
Electric KMX 72V Lipo, USPD drive unit. BMX 72V, Puma BMC,
Raleigh 26 inch MTB Puma 50V Turnigy 25C Lipo 10AH, Trek MTB, X5 48V NIMH. Electric BMX
http://tinyurl.com/4vrmc8 http://tinyurl.com/3umm4n
knoxie
100 MW
100 MW

Postby deecanio » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:14 pm

That fighter is the dogs do da's :mrgreen:
cant wait for the rougher footage, you sir, rock 8)

D
Kona Stinky 2004
Marzocchi JNR T's 2004
72V 10ah lipo
Xlyte HS3540
Lyen 12 FET Jozz mod
deecanio
10 MW
10 MW

Postby def215 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:15 pm

Scruffoid wrote:Mate isnt it always anti clockwise around the running tracks :lol:

lol. that what i always thought. i only remember from my high school track days. :lol:

i always wanted to try riding on a track like that. how was the ride like on the track hyena? ive always ran on on one and i remember them being really springy and grippy.
Project: E-BMX - Completed, debugging.
Konion Powered!
viewtopic.php?t=14550

Project Min-E Ped:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=25636
def215
10 kW
10 kW

Postby Hyena » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:50 pm

Thanks guys, coming across it was a nice bonus on my ride through the bush. Luckily there was no one using it at the time, I would have felt a bit bad weaving in and out around the runners :lol:

knoxie wrote:yes awesome! think you should drop it in to the stealth owners thread too buddy :D

Done! I actually thought of your old vid knoxie while I was zooming around. I was only there for 5 mins tops but wondered how long it'd be before someone can and told me off.

def215 wrote: how was the ride like on the track hyena? ive always ran on on one and i remember them being really springy and grippy.

Hard to say, I didn't actually get off the bike - just leaned one foot down to put the camera on the ground a few times. It wasn't noticably grippy or springy on the bike. I'm running big knobby 3" tyres on the back at low PSI so they're very grippy anyway for most offroad stuff but I wasn't pushing it too hard, I opened it up on the straights but I didn't want to corner too hard with them incase they let go. I noticed afterwards that the knobs on the edges were red so they must have been digging in a little with the low pressure. It'd certainly be faster with hookworms or similar at higher pressure. 70km/hr is fast enough anyway :P

The next video of scooting around in the dirt is uploading now. Alot of it was quite rough but it doesn't really show in the footage and the suspension smoothed alot of it out (which is good!)
I only had the handlebar mount so the other angles were with the camera just sitting on the ground. The shots that look like helmet or chest mounts were actually shot with the camera shoved in my mouth and gripped with my teeth!! In the slower shots you can hear me breathing but you don't here it in any of the included footage because the wind noise is louder. Although only small I was concious when landing jumps not to bite down :lol:

The upload is showing 1.5hrs to go but here's the link (if you see an image below it's finshed uploading)

Aussie high powered and custom e-bike kits____New Qulbix Raptor 140 frames now available!
Hyena
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Scruffoid » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:47 am

Why do i have to watch these vids when im stuck in the office at work on a Sunday :(

Looks like a great time as always. Love the circle work at the end to finish it off.
Hyena Electric Ebike Kit
Crystalyte 3525 Pimped out / 12 FET infineon / xie chang board with 4110 Fets / 22S3P - 90V/15AH Lipo
4KW (45A limited) - 67Km/Hr Max
Build Thread - http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38000&p=553791#p553791
Scruffoid
100 W
100 W

Postby knoxie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:29 am

Awesome video again jay! that bike of yours is super steady over the rough stuff, you would swear you were watching a motocross bike ripping around there, i could watch videos like these all day mate superb job :D a really good advert for stealth even though this is really a hyena industries stealth :mrgreen:
Raleigh 26 inch MTB Puma 50V Turnigy 25C Lipo 10AH, Trek MTB, X5 48V NIMH. Electric BMX
knoxie
100 MW
100 MW

Postby Hyena » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:03 am

Thanks mate. We might see some more Hyena Industries Stealths out there once peoples warranties are up :)
I've actually had a few offers to buy it and while I'm reluctant to sell it the money would enable me to get stuck into my custom frame project I've wanted to do for ages.

Yes it is pretty good over the rough stuff, especially after riding my hardtail on the same track!
I can't oblige with an all day video but here's another few minutes worth from that ride, on some faster trails.
Part 3 is coming soon and has the parts in it where I ran into the dirt bikes. Alot of it is relatively slow as the terrain was very steep and rocky/difficult.

As before the video is still uploading (about an hour to go) but once you can see the image below it's done.

Hyena
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Hobbit » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:49 pm

Awesome vids Jay, if youre taking requests, maybe you could hit that golf course under construction across the road from where this was filmed :twisted:

Seriously good luck this week on the health front matee, there's a big gang of guys on here, clench fisted hard wishing good news for you and your family, leighton Hewitt style COME ON!
"The Precious"
Rans Fusion, Crystalyte H4080, Crystalyte 75V 50A stock controller,
66.6V 18s3p 24Ah zippy lipo.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37934

Love.
Hobbit
100 W
100 W

Postby sn0wchyld » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:10 pm

Hobbit wrote:Awesome vids Jay, if youre taking requests, maybe you could hit that golf course under construction across the road from where this was filmed :twisted:

Seriously good luck this week on the health front matee, there's a big gang of guys on here, clench fisted hard wishing good news for you and your family, leighton Hewitt style COME ON!

+1, on both points!
My builds:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29373
Norko Aline Park DH - Clyte HT3525 - 24s lipo
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33657&p=534823#p534823
'02ish Avanti D8 - 8085 170kv - 5s 40ah lipo - ple80 recution
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43143
RC Electric mountainboard
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=57489
RC longboard with my own CNC routered parts!
sn0wchyld
100 kW
100 kW

Postby Hyena » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:14 am

Thanks fellas, the big scan is tomorrow and I get the results thursday.
Hobbit, I'll be riding past the place you saw me last time at 8am if you'll be in the area

Golf course you say hobbit ?
*scratches chin* :twisted:
I did see one area roughly opposite this which I think is where the old tip was, all bare with big mounds of dirt. That could be fun to blast though. I did end up accidently at the back of a golf course last time anyway, but it had been long established. Is where you're talking about an extension of this ?

In unrelated news, I called into bunnings this afternoon to get some bits I needed and on the way home came across a petrol powered bike. I was spewing I'd left the gopro on my fighter the previous day and was running late so didn't have time to swap the mounts over. I heard him coming and looked around to see him riding like a maniac, zooming off the gutter then weaving around cars back and forth and down the wrong side of the road. Why do all gassers ride like assholes and attract attention to themselves ? I guess this is why the cops have it in for them and not ebikes.

Anyway I was keen to see what he had as he seemed to accelerate quite quickly when I saw him approach from the site. I was minding my own business pedalling along at 40ks and he came up behind me sitting right up my arse, as soon as the car behind us passed he zoomed up along side, smirked at me then continued to pull away slowly down a hill at max revs (noisy, smokey bloody thing). I let him get a bit of distance then flicked into 120% mode and quickly reeled him in. I flew up the inside and yelled out "IS THAT ALL YOU GOT?!" He looked around stunned then I zoomed off and he never caught up :mrgreen:
I might detour that way on the way home tomorrow and see if I can find him again :twisted:
Hyena
100 GW
100 GW

Postby knoxie » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:27 am

Ahh great story!! love it and damn shame that you didn't have the cam running!! that's always the case! my commute is so short I don't bother with the cam but I always take it out on long rides and have caught some funny stuff. lots of lycra beating lately although I feel bad for doing it, I was stopped by a railway bridge at the weekend taking a drink and checking on my batts, this Lycra dude stopped and asked if all was OK and whether I needed help, (maybe he thought I was going to jump!! ha) but you know they aint all bad.

Anyway back to your smoker, you simply have to try and meet him again that would be so funny!! super stink racer! I have never ever seen one over here in the UK although there is an eBay seller that is always trying to sell kits by miss selling them as ebike kits? WTF! I mailed the guy and asked him what part of his kit was electric, he replied that it had a kill switch! ha ha and he had to list them under electric bikes as nobody found them otherwise, I suppose its a fair point although its not strictly playing fair.

If you can get video that would be great although my experience of timing runs to catch bikes or cars that I have seen before have never been very successful and by the way this guy rides I would bet he might not be on the road for too long? Good luck this week with the results and tests :-)
knoxie
100 MW
100 MW

Postby Hyena » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:37 am

It was an industrial area and the guy looked like a labourer or tradie of some sort so I reckon there's a good chance if I sit by the side of the road and wait he'll come along soon or later when he knocks off work :)
Most hyenas scavenge on the kills of others, this one hunts and stalks his prey :mrgreen:

Maybe I should mount the gopro facing backwards so you don't just see a glimpse of him as I go by :twisted:

1 more video uploading for ya knoxie - riding with dirt bikes from the weekend. No different camera angles on this one, just all onboard footage with not alot of editing but you'll probably enjoy it. Some nasty and steep terrain in this one but the motor did pretty well for a high speed wind. Youtube is still showing 3 hrs - urrgh I'll post the link later
Hyena
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Spicerack » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:32 am

The tradie types on smoker bikes are doing it because they've been caught for the 5th time driving their cars without a licence and had them impounded. They ride like that because... that's the sort of people they are. I still have my stink bike in the garage, used to use it on Fridays to get home with a bellyfull of the amber nectar and not have to worry about drink driving..... The ebike is soooo much better now- I love the sound of silence....

Nice vids there Jay, and yes, good luck tomorrow and Thursday- I'll be sending a prayer or two to God, Jehovah, Allah, Buddah and the mice (it'll be interesting to see who gets that one), just to cover most bases.
Norco Shore2
Was Cellman MAC rear oil cooled then 8x8 9C vented and temp probed now 9x7 9C vented and temp probed!
12 FET controller
62V 18650 home made battery pack
50 km/h
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32769
MAC Repair thread http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34806
Oil cooling the MAC hubbie http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37972
Spicerack
10 kW
10 kW

Postby sn0wchyld » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:54 am

Hyena wrote:Thanks fellas, the big scan is tomorrow and I get the results thursday.
Hobbit, I'll be riding past the place you saw me last time at 8am if you'll be in the area

Golf course you say hobbit ?
*scratches chin* :twisted:
I did see one area roughly opposite this which I think is where the old tip was, all bare with big mounds of dirt. That could be fun to blast though. I did end up accidently at the back of a golf course last time anyway, but it had been long established. Is where you're talking about an extension of this ?

In unrelated news, I called into bunnings this afternoon to get some bits I needed and on the way home came across a petrol powered bike. I was spewing I'd left the gopro on my fighter the previous day and was running late so didn't have time to swap the mounts over. I heard him coming and looked around to see him riding like a maniac, zooming off the gutter then weaving around cars back and forth and down the wrong side of the road. Why do all gassers ride like assholes and attract attention to themselves ? I guess this is why the cops have it in for them and not ebikes.

Anyway I was keen to see what he had as he seemed to accelerate quite quickly when I saw him approach from the site. I was minding my own business pedalling along at 40ks and he came up behind me sitting right up my arse, as soon as the car behind us passed he zoomed up along side, smirked at me then continued to pull away slowly down a hill at max revs (noisy, smokey bloody thing). I let him get a bit of distance then flicked into 120% mode and quickly reeled him in. I flew up the inside and yelled out "IS THAT ALL YOU GOT?!" He looked around stunned then I zoomed off and he never caught up :mrgreen:
I might detour that way on the way home tomorrow and see if I can find him again :twisted:

hahahah lol I had a similar experience with a gasser myself, though he was just a kid and not acting like an ass. stoped and chatted for a while, he claimed to have a top speed of 'about 75'. lol, sure sure I thought... as he was about to ride off home I suggested a drag race down the street - a speedbump street as it happened. he immediately floored it and raced off, with a 15-odd-m and 3-5 seconds head start. needless to say I flicked it to 100% (i dont have 120 yet :cry: ) and ripped past him a few seconds later, leaving him for dead over the bumps. No way that thing'd ever hit 75, much less beating me at around 65. and like you, I'd left the gopro at home that day :evil: . still fun though eh?!
My builds:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29373
Norko Aline Park DH - Clyte HT3525 - 24s lipo
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33657&p=534823#p534823
'02ish Avanti D8 - 8085 170kv - 5s 40ah lipo - ple80 recution
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43143
RC Electric mountainboard
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=57489
RC longboard with my own CNC routered parts!
sn0wchyld
100 kW
100 kW

Postby Hyena » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:20 am

andynogo wrote:The tradie types on smoker bikes are doing it because they've been caught for the 5th time driving their cars without a licence and had them impounded.

Yes I must admit he did look to fit that profile and I'm sure he would have previously had a battered VN commodore in his driveway at home.

good luck tomorrow and Thursday- I'll be sending a prayer or two to God, Jehovah, Allah, Buddah and the mice (it'll be interesting to see who gets that one), just to cover most bases.

You forgot the only one that really counts, the flying spaghetti monster! :P
But thanks fellas :)

Tomorrow I shall be cycling to the cyclotron :lol:
Hyena
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Hyena » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:24 am

Final video for a while!

I'm off to canberra this weekend, will hopefully catch up with Philistine while I'm down there.
I was hoping to take my new custom frame bike but it's in pieces for painting at the moment and it's going to be a rush to get it finished by thursday night so I might just take my blue hardtail.
Hyena
100 GW
100 GW

Postby GCinDC » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:32 pm

awesome vid. hell of a ride! not many ebikes could do that terrain. and look at you going thru the water like that! nice. :twisted:

all the best!
Youtube channel, 2013 Highlights vid. Ebike Nerdcast.
Giant DH Comp: 20s lipo (11.6Ah), hs3540, Adaptto Mini-E, 900W BMSBattery charger.
GT I-Drive (sold), 20s lipo, 9C, 72V 45A 12FET.
GCinDC
10 GW
10 GW

Postby veloman » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:33 pm

knoxie wrote: lots of lycra beating lately although I feel bad for doing it,

Lycra beating? What kind of game are you playing where you put a motor against human power? I will say it again, it sounds silly. Yes, I'm an ebiker and also a lycra, at different times.

Ebiker against a smoker? Hell ya. I love that.
Mush! Mush you electrons! Push harder!
Moped build: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=60209
Small motorcycle build: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=51259&hilit=+ke100
Main ride: Old School Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Clyte HT3525, 74v lifepo4, 12fet Infineon set to 26amps. And a bunch of others... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34236&p=497325#p497325.
veloman
1 GW
1 GW

Postby knoxie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:37 pm

chill your beans veloman..I simply mean that I pass lycra dudes and dudettes when I am out on the road and feel bad for doing it I am not bragging that I have done it? quite the opposite? you have misread what I said. Beating meaning passing them not hitting them with a big stick :roll: :wink:

Lots of my buddies ride in clubs and I have joined them on rides in the past and I regularly go out on a normal bike myself, thats why I feel bad when I pass folks who dont know me, they must get disheartened if they dont spot whats going on, I mean you spend 10K on a carbon racing bike and someone passes you an 200 quid mtb, oh and before you say, a lot of my buddies at the club didnt know my bike was electric when I rode past them, when your head is down peddling you dont.

Oh and for the record racing against mopeds is one of my favourite sports :mrgreen:
knoxie
100 MW
100 MW

Postby ROG130 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:33 am

:lol: thats the way to go show him who is king of the road you dont have to have a gas bike to be fast .plus the police can not hear you coming on a ebike :twisted: well dun jay shame you never had a vid of that lol
ROG130
100 W
100 W

PreviousNext

Return to E-Bike Photos & Video