Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

Show off your E-bike creation here.

Re: Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

Postby knoxie » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:27 am

Ahh great story!! love it and damn shame that you didn't have the cam running!! that's always the case! my commute is so short I don't bother with the cam but I always take it out on long rides and have caught some funny stuff. lots of lycra beating lately although I feel bad for doing it, I was stopped by a railway bridge at the weekend taking a drink and checking on my batts, this Lycra dude stopped and asked if all was OK and whether I needed help, (maybe he thought I was going to jump!! ha) but you know they aint all bad.

Anyway back to your smoker, you simply have to try and meet him again that would be so funny!! super stink racer! I have never ever seen one over here in the UK although there is an eBay seller that is always trying to sell kits by miss selling them as ebike kits? WTF! I mailed the guy and asked him what part of his kit was electric, he replied that it had a kill switch! ha ha and he had to list them under electric bikes as nobody found them otherwise, I suppose its a fair point although its not strictly playing fair.

If you can get video that would be great although my experience of timing runs to catch bikes or cars that I have seen before have never been very successful and by the way this guy rides I would bet he might not be on the road for too long? Good luck this week with the results and tests :-)
Electric KMX 72V Lipo, USPD drive unit. BMX 72V, Puma BMC,
Raleigh 26 inch MTB Puma 50V Turnigy 25C Lipo 10AH, Trek MTB, X5 48V NIMH. Electric BMX
http://tinyurl.com/4vrmc8 http://tinyurl.com/3umm4n
knoxie
100 MW
100 MW

Postby Hyena » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:37 am

It was an industrial area and the guy looked like a labourer or tradie of some sort so I reckon there's a good chance if I sit by the side of the road and wait he'll come along soon or later when he knocks off work :)
Most hyenas scavenge on the kills of others, this one hunts and stalks his prey :mrgreen:

Maybe I should mount the gopro facing backwards so you don't just see a glimpse of him as I go by :twisted:

1 more video uploading for ya knoxie - riding with dirt bikes from the weekend. No different camera angles on this one, just all onboard footage with not alot of editing but you'll probably enjoy it. Some nasty and steep terrain in this one but the motor did pretty well for a high speed wind. Youtube is still showing 3 hrs - urrgh I'll post the link later
www.HyenaElectricBikes.com
Aussie high powered and custom e-bike kits____New Qulbix Raptor 140 frames now available!
My build and HD video thread____. My youtube channel____ Hyena Facebook page
My bike is writing cheques my body can't cash...
Hyena
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Spicerack » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:32 am

The tradie types on smoker bikes are doing it because they've been caught for the 5th time driving their cars without a licence and had them impounded. They ride like that because... that's the sort of people they are. I still have my stink bike in the garage, used to use it on Fridays to get home with a bellyfull of the amber nectar and not have to worry about drink driving..... The ebike is soooo much better now- I love the sound of silence....

Nice vids there Jay, and yes, good luck tomorrow and Thursday- I'll be sending a prayer or two to God, Jehovah, Allah, Buddah and the mice (it'll be interesting to see who gets that one), just to cover most bases.
Norco Shore2
Was Cellman MAC rear oil cooled then 8x8 9C vented and temp probed now 9x7 9C vented and temp probed!
12 FET controller
62V 18650 home made battery pack
50 km/h
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32769
MAC Repair thread http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34806
Oil cooling the MAC hubbie http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37972
Spicerack
10 kW
10 kW

Postby sn0wchyld » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:54 am

Hyena wrote:Thanks fellas, the big scan is tomorrow and I get the results thursday.
Hobbit, I'll be riding past the place you saw me last time at 8am if you'll be in the area

Golf course you say hobbit ?
*scratches chin* :twisted:
I did see one area roughly opposite this which I think is where the old tip was, all bare with big mounds of dirt. That could be fun to blast though. I did end up accidently at the back of a golf course last time anyway, but it had been long established. Is where you're talking about an extension of this ?

In unrelated news, I called into bunnings this afternoon to get some bits I needed and on the way home came across a petrol powered bike. I was spewing I'd left the gopro on my fighter the previous day and was running late so didn't have time to swap the mounts over. I heard him coming and looked around to see him riding like a maniac, zooming off the gutter then weaving around cars back and forth and down the wrong side of the road. Why do all gassers ride like assholes and attract attention to themselves ? I guess this is why the cops have it in for them and not ebikes.

Anyway I was keen to see what he had as he seemed to accelerate quite quickly when I saw him approach from the site. I was minding my own business pedalling along at 40ks and he came up behind me sitting right up my arse, as soon as the car behind us passed he zoomed up along side, smirked at me then continued to pull away slowly down a hill at max revs (noisy, smokey bloody thing). I let him get a bit of distance then flicked into 120% mode and quickly reeled him in. I flew up the inside and yelled out "IS THAT ALL YOU GOT?!" He looked around stunned then I zoomed off and he never caught up :mrgreen:
I might detour that way on the way home tomorrow and see if I can find him again :twisted:

hahahah lol I had a similar experience with a gasser myself, though he was just a kid and not acting like an ass. stoped and chatted for a while, he claimed to have a top speed of 'about 75'. lol, sure sure I thought... as he was about to ride off home I suggested a drag race down the street - a speedbump street as it happened. he immediately floored it and raced off, with a 15-odd-m and 3-5 seconds head start. needless to say I flicked it to 100% (i dont have 120 yet :cry: ) and ripped past him a few seconds later, leaving him for dead over the bumps. No way that thing'd ever hit 75, much less beating me at around 65. and like you, I'd left the gopro at home that day :evil: . still fun though eh?!
My builds:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29373
Norko Aline Park DH - Clyte HT3525 - 24s lipo
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33657&p=534823#p534823
'02ish Avanti D8 - 8085 170kv - 5s 40ah lipo - ple80 recution
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43143
RC Electric mountainboard
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=57489
RC longboard with my own CNC routered parts!
sn0wchyld
100 kW
100 kW

Postby Hyena » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:20 am

andynogo wrote:The tradie types on smoker bikes are doing it because they've been caught for the 5th time driving their cars without a licence and had them impounded.

Yes I must admit he did look to fit that profile and I'm sure he would have previously had a battered VN commodore in his driveway at home.

good luck tomorrow and Thursday- I'll be sending a prayer or two to God, Jehovah, Allah, Buddah and the mice (it'll be interesting to see who gets that one), just to cover most bases.

You forgot the only one that really counts, the flying spaghetti monster! :P
But thanks fellas :)

Tomorrow I shall be cycling to the cyclotron :lol:
Aussie high powered and custom e-bike kits____New Qulbix Raptor 140 frames now available!
Hyena
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Hyena » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:24 am

Final video for a while!

I'm off to canberra this weekend, will hopefully catch up with Philistine while I'm down there.
I was hoping to take my new custom frame bike but it's in pieces for painting at the moment and it's going to be a rush to get it finished by thursday night so I might just take my blue hardtail.
Hyena
100 GW
100 GW

Postby GCinDC » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:32 pm

awesome vid. hell of a ride! not many ebikes could do that terrain. and look at you going thru the water like that! nice. :twisted:

all the best!
Youtube channel, 2013 Highlights vid. Ebike Nerdcast.
Giant DH Comp: 20s lipo (11.6Ah), hs3540, Adaptto Mini-E, 900W BMSBattery charger.
GT I-Drive (sold), 20s lipo, 9C, 72V 45A 12FET.
GCinDC
10 GW
10 GW

Postby veloman » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:33 pm

knoxie wrote: lots of lycra beating lately although I feel bad for doing it,

Lycra beating? What kind of game are you playing where you put a motor against human power? I will say it again, it sounds silly. Yes, I'm an ebiker and also a lycra, at different times.

Ebiker against a smoker? Hell ya. I love that.
Mush! Mush you electrons! Push harder!
Moped build: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=60209
Small motorcycle build: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=51259&hilit=+ke100
Main ride: Old School Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Clyte HT3525, 74v lifepo4, 12fet Infineon set to 26amps. And a bunch of others... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34236&p=497325#p497325.
veloman
1 GW
1 GW

Postby knoxie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:37 pm

chill your beans veloman..I simply mean that I pass lycra dudes and dudettes when I am out on the road and feel bad for doing it I am not bragging that I have done it? quite the opposite? you have misread what I said. Beating meaning passing them not hitting them with a big stick :roll: :wink:

Lots of my buddies ride in clubs and I have joined them on rides in the past and I regularly go out on a normal bike myself, thats why I feel bad when I pass folks who dont know me, they must get disheartened if they dont spot whats going on, I mean you spend 10K on a carbon racing bike and someone passes you an 200 quid mtb, oh and before you say, a lot of my buddies at the club didnt know my bike was electric when I rode past them, when your head is down peddling you dont.

Oh and for the record racing against mopeds is one of my favourite sports :mrgreen:
Raleigh 26 inch MTB Puma 50V Turnigy 25C Lipo 10AH, Trek MTB, X5 48V NIMH. Electric BMX
knoxie
100 MW
100 MW

Postby ROG130 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:33 am

:lol: thats the way to go show him who is king of the road you dont have to have a gas bike to be fast .plus the police can not hear you coming on a ebike :twisted: well dun jay shame you never had a vid of that lol
ROG130
100 W
100 W

Postby Hyena » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:57 am

knoxie wrote: Beating meaning passing them not hitting them with a big stick :roll: :wink:

Nothing says 'get out of my way' like being clouted in the head with a hub motor :lol:

In breaking news, I got some pretty news from my oncologist this arvo.
My tumor is still there (about the size of a golf ball) but not growing so they're not going to do any more treatment for now and just watch it for the coming months. Obviously there's no guarantees but it looks like I won't have 2012 chiseled into my headstone! :)

Now, time to get some really cool ebike projects going 8)
Hyena
100 GW
100 GW

Postby full-throttle » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:05 am

Great news!
full-throttle
10 MW
10 MW

Postby Hobbit » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:10 am

Oh man, that's the awesome-est news. Hyena industries full steam ahead!
"The Precious"
Rans Fusion, Crystalyte H4080, Crystalyte 75V 50A stock controller,
66.6V 18s3p 24Ah zippy lipo.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37934

Love.
Hobbit
100 W
100 W

Postby shorza » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:11 am

Congrats buddy.
shorza
1 kW
1 kW

Postby Scruffoid » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:35 am

Awesome News Jay.

Glad to hear that it good news for you.

Keep going hard mate!
Hyena Electric Ebike Kit
Crystalyte 3525 Pimped out / 12 FET infineon / xie chang board with 4110 Fets / 22S3P - 90V/15AH Lipo
4KW (45A limited) - 67Km/Hr Max
Build Thread - http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38000&p=553791#p553791
Scruffoid
100 W
100 W

Postby knoxie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:40 am

Bonza mate!! thats awesome!! so pleased for you dood, your going to kick it mate, fantastic :-)
knoxie
100 MW
100 MW

Postby Glenn_M » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:58 am

Good to hear Jay. :D
Glenn
Glenn_M
10 W
10 W

Postby sn0wchyld » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:48 am

ha great to hear mate!!
My builds:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29373
Norko Aline Park DH - Clyte HT3525 - 24s lipo
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33657&p=534823#p534823
'02ish Avanti D8 - 8085 170kv - 5s 40ah lipo - ple80 recution
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43143
RC Electric mountainboard
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=57489
RC longboard with my own CNC routered parts!
sn0wchyld
100 kW
100 kW

Postby adrian_sm » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:08 am

Hyena wrote:In breaking news, I got some pretty news from my oncologist this arvo.
My tumor is still there (about the size of a golf ball) but not growing so they're not going to do any more treatment for now and just watch it for the coming months.

Great news that it isn't growing. Really really glad to hear it. How did the family take the news?

Why no more treatment, and the wait and see. Is it a case of the cure being worth than the symptoms?
I assume that also means it is to risky to go and a get out.

Anyway. Awesome news.

All the best, Adrian.
Build #1 ~28kg ~ 700w Avanti Hardtail Crystalyte 408, 48V10Ah Headway. ~5500 kms to date. (retired)
Build #2 ~30kg ~2000w Giant AC Dually Crystalyte 408, 48V10Ah Headway + 6s10Ah LiPo = 70V. ~15000 kms to date [SOLD]
Build #3 ~13kg ~2000w Commuter Booster <1kg Friction Drive in Beta testing (www.commuterbooster.com)
Build #??? ~21kg ~1500w Adrian's Bafang BPM Hardtail MTB Bafang BPM code12, 15s LiPo, ~40kph, ~30kms
adrian_sm
100 MW
100 MW

Postby voicecoils » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:09 am

Awesome news, a break from treatments should be really nice.
voicecoils
10 MW
10 MW

Postby AussieJester » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:34 am

hyena wrote:
My tumor is still there (about the size of a golf ball) but not growing so they're not going to do any more treatment for now and just watch it for the coming months. Obviously there's no guarantees but it looks like I won't have 2012 chiseled into my

Fantastic news Jay, must be a huge relief for you and the rest of the HighSiDE Hyena clan... All the best with your up and coming projects

KiM
AussieJester
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Hyena » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:59 am

Thanks guys!

adrian_sm wrote:Why no more treatment, and the wait and see. Is it a case of the cure being worth than the symptoms?
I assume that also means it is to risky to go and a get out.

Yeah the chemo is pretty nasty and it kicked the shit out of me. The chemo alone nearly killed me in october which is why they stopped short of what they had planned to give me (and what is routine for my sort of cancer) As it is there's light damage to my lungs and possibly heart from the radio, if they have to go again it'll be even worse and could leave me with permenant disability for however long I may live. If the only way to cure it means they have to fry my lungs then so be it, but obviously if I can avoid having to drag around an oxygen cylinder for the rest of my life that's a bonus, especially at my age! Also if this first round isn't sucessful then they have to give me nastier stuff which will likely give me leukemia in 5-10 years time, and then I'll die from that. So while it's dormant they want to avoid giving me anything they don't have to. There's a chance it may go away on its own now, which would be great, and I walk away with the scars and little permanant damage that is already done. But if they pump me full of other poisons and radiation
then they could be giving me an alternate death sentence, when the first one may not have played out anyway. Oh, and they can't do surgery because it's in the lymphatic system which runs everywhere. They could chop it out but it could easily pop up anywhere else. I'd also have to have surgery much the same as open heart surgery where the ribs are cracked open, which takes 6-12 months on its own to heal from which would majorly lay me up. Financially I need to get back to work, which is another reason not to have chemo unless I have to.

I'm still far from out of the woods, the relapse rate in the next few years is high and the 5 year survival data is not very good. If I make it to the 5 year mark I can probably be confident there's many more to follow but until then I'm walking on egg shells. And by walking I mean roaring over them with fat ebike tyres at high speed :twisted:

Looks like I might be around for Justin's Australian leg of the ebike world tour yet! :D

Now, about those custom ebike frames :mrgreen:
I've got a mate who's a welder by trade (boiler maker I think) who's going to help me make up some frames from scratch so it's time to get designing! It'll basically be along the lines of what timma cut and shut for me, but in one neat frame. The rear shock will probably be dirt bike style (ala stealth, phasor etc) for simplicity and I'm totally happy with the ride from my fighter, so if I can replicate that in a smaller, lighter purpose built frame i'll be very pleased. The schlumpf in my fighter rocks too so I might incorporate one of those too, which does away with the need for worrying about clearance for large chain rings (for pedalling at higher speed) and also trying to source threaded bottom bracket shells (I can just use the right ID pipe cut to length) I might start a seperate thread for this though, I welcome everyone's input! :)

In the mean time, I'm nearly ready to assemble the chopped diamondback, the first coat of paint is on. I've got with flame red and it will have CF highlights - probably on the door that the controller sits on and near the join on the top bar (+/- switchgear in there) I'm also tossing up whether to paint the swing arm black or keep it all red.
Attachments
DB-red.jpg
DB-red.jpg (193.55 KiB) Viewed 909 times
Hyena
100 GW
100 GW

Postby adrian_sm » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:37 am

Hyena wrote:I'm still far from out of the woods, the relapse rate in the next few years is high and the 5 year survival data is not very good. If I make it to the 5 year mark I can probably be confident there's many more to follow but until then I'm walking on egg shells. And by walking I mean roaring over them with fat ebike tyres at high speed :twisted:

:lol:

That is the spirit that will get you through all this. :D

Can't wait to see your frames come together. Should be awesome. Personally I would rotate the battery box 90-deg for a narrow width, rather than the stealth just from a pure profile look but hey, thats just a personal thing. Keep up the great work.

- Adrian
Build #1 ~28kg ~ 700w Avanti Hardtail Crystalyte 408, 48V10Ah Headway. ~5500 kms to date. (retired)
Build #2 ~30kg ~2000w Giant AC Dually Crystalyte 408, 48V10Ah Headway + 6s10Ah LiPo = 70V. ~15000 kms to date [SOLD]
Build #3 ~13kg ~2000w Commuter Booster <1kg Friction Drive in Beta testing (www.commuterbooster.com)
Build #??? ~21kg ~1500w Adrian's Bafang BPM Hardtail MTB Bafang BPM code12, 15s LiPo, ~40kph, ~30kms
adrian_sm
100 MW
100 MW

Postby gtadmin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:16 am

Hyena wrote:...
My tumor is still there (about the size of a golf ball) but not growing so they're not going to do any more treatment for now and just watch it for the coming months. Obviously there's no guarantees but it looks like I won't have 2012 chiseled into my headstone! :)

Now, time to get some really cool ebike projects going 8)

Really good news mate, I'm happy for you and your family :D
gtadmin
10 kW
10 kW

Postby Architectonic » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:23 am

Glad to hear you are doing OK.

There are new alternatives to chemo/radiotherapy on the horizon for HL. Similar to Rituximab for non-HL, there is Brentuximab for example, which was approved for refractory cases in the USA last year. I believe there are other targeted drugs that going through the approval process too.
Architectonic
1 kW
1 kW

PreviousNext

Return to E-Bike Photos & Video