My Sunahme XC is almost ready!!

Hi, All

Just thought I would post a couple of pics of my new Sunahme e-Bike ('XC' model) almost ready for delivery! I should have it at home within the next couple of weeks.

This is manufactured and designed very close to where I live, on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada. Custom built to my specs :)

I have previously owned a 2014 Stealth Bomber, and let me say this beast is on a whole different level. Seriously, no comparison...they may look similar, but the refinement and power / range / reliability / durability / overall quality are totally different.

I rode several different Sunahme models before choosing this one, and I am really excited to take it for its first ride!!

The specs are pretty much state of the art (unlike the Stealth, which was a great machine, but a bit heavy, limited range, and less the premium components):

12kw of power (power wheelies - YES!!)
top speed ~ 100km/h (~ 60 mph)
3.2 kw/h Samsung Lithium battery = ~ 150km (90 miles) range with modest pedalling
~ 120lb curb weight
8 piston hydraulic disc brakes front and rear
8 inches fully adjustable suspension travel, front and rear
Sine wave controller made in Finland
"Hub monster' motor made in Croatia
Two speed Swiss made Schlumpf geared planetary crank for pedalling - no derailleur
Swingarm pivots around pedal cranks, so no chain tension issues
DOT rated motorcycle rims and tires = NO FLATS
Can ride ANYWHERE a bicycle can go, of course - anytime...bike trails, BMX tracks, on-road / off-road...
Costs less than $0.30 to fully recharge
Basically ZERO maintenance...

I had originally been planning a mid-motor build (or buy, if I could find one), but in the end the simplicity, reliability, and disability of the hub motor won out over weight distribution and unsprung weight. Time will tell if this was the right decision...

The Stealth Bomber BTW, is a fine machine, but SERIOUSLY hampered by a TOTAL LACK of even basic 'water resistance', let alone 'waterproofing'...a deal-killer where I live. Just running through a puddle can stop the bike, or even kill the controller...NOT viable here on the 'wet coast'. The Sunahme, in contrast, has ALL connectors AND the controller INSIDE the frame, away from rain and splashes.

What do YOU guys think?

2017-03-17 15.05.21.jpg

2017-03-17 15.05.30.jpg

Cheers,

Doug

Good looking bike mate!

How does it feel using the thumb throttle with ergonomic grips like that? Ive broken a few bones in my wrist and palm over years of skateboarding and have thought about something like that but not sure if it would feel restricted in movement.

HI Doug
Super nice bike you got there. I notice you are on Vancouver Island. I live just across the pond in Pender Harbour. Bring your rig over on the ferry when you get the chance as a foot passenger and I can pick you up in my truck and I can show you the local good stuff here on the Sunshine Coast. We have some awesome single track over this way if you can make it..........wayne

Sean9002 said:
Good looking bike mate!

How does it feel using the thumb throttle with ergonomic grips like that? Ive broken a few bones in my wrist and palm over years of skateboarding and have thought about something like that but not sure if it would feel restricted in movement.

Hey, Sean

Maybe its hard to see in the pics, but the bike has a standard twist grip throttle, not a thumb throttle. The thumb controls on the right are the power limit switch ('legal', 'sport' and 'unlimited'), and the cruise control...

Feels fine to me with the ergo grips :)

Cheers,

Doug

waynebergman said:
HI Doug
Super nice bike you got there. I notice you are on Vancouver Island. I live just across the pond in Pender Harbour. Bring your rig over on the ferry when you get the chance as a foot passenger and I can pick you up in my truck and I can show you the local good stuff here on the Sunshine Coast. We have some awesome single track over this way if you can make it..........wayne

Hi, Wayne

Thanks for the offer, that sounds great!

I'll have to wait and see how my summer unfolds...I did the Sunshine Coast loop last summer on my motorcycle, it was awesome!

I see you are into wood-fired ovens too...excellent! I have an interest in building some sort of fireplace / oven out on my deck (once it has been built, hopefully finished with the next 18 months or so)...you my hear from me for some advice when the time comes :)

Meanwhile, if I can find a way to get over to your area with my bike, I will let you know - thanks!

Cheers,

Doug

Back