Resurrection of the dead ebikes...

methods

1 GW
So I wont show the picture... but my back yard is stacked out with all the dead ebikes from back in the day. I am sure you can imagine - just picture Amberwolfs back yard.

So - here is a quick update of where we are at.
2 days in
2 bikes running

Before we could get started we had to wack the weeds down. We picked up a battery powered unit at the fleamarket without a charger - so first thing is first:

Ebikes003.jpg
Ebikes004.jpg

The only notes I have from that project are... be careful drilling. I let some magic smoke out of a cap - but it still works fine. Balanced the cells and I get great performance out of it.

If you are still wondering where I have been... I have one of these now:

Ebikes015.jpg

If you dont know where those come from... well... reference this picture

View attachment 3

My son says that "it has to be that long" to work so... maybe thats the issue.

My desk is looking better these days
View attachment 2

And I finally cleared the electronics out of my 2000sqft shop. Ah... my parallel boards
Ebikes046.jpg

So - always remember the essentials - and here we go
Ebikes108.jpg

Oh yea... I said I was going to talk about Ebikes :D

Look closely and you will see an absolutely thrashed rim hanging off of a motor. Thats what we started with

Ebikes121.jpg

For a controller we had this super busted piece of junk that has been sitting in the rain for YEARS. Check out the power switch!

View attachment 3

Ebikes144.jpg

First we rigged up Justin's ol Jalopy... here is Kimberly ready to ride

Ebikes168.jpg

And.. here is where we store the rims that ship with most 9C motors

Ebikes145.jpg

So... we rode that all over hell in the rain in the dark. I have a good story around that - but for another time. Justin's potted LED light (that runs up to 100V) still worked! Wish I could say the same about some of the other gear I pulled out of the muck.

Kimberly basically could not see over my shoulder... so for day two, we ditched the stretch limo and went in the opposite direction

Ebikes124.jpg
Ebikes125.jpg

Thats the crustiest most busted ol' folder you have ever laid eyes on.
We got it running in under 20 minutes.
Custom forks up front - impossible to spin out.

Here is a video of Kimberly pulling me on a long-board with it

Of course it always starts out like this
[youtube]gAbqQtuh-3M[/youtube]

Then gets better. I was wearing full gear and by the end we were carving up the harbor parking lot single ski status. Never felt so comfortable on a skateboard before... the key is long... and fast.
[youtube]k2KdIv6HfJA[/youtube]

Ok - wish I had more time.
Dont.

Have fun
Show kids how to have fun
Wear safety gear (Kimberly was wearing an invisible helmet - they are new... you should look into it)
And always remember to smash your face.

-methods

Notes:

Most of that gear sat for years in the rain. Here is what I found:

The LED flashlight... TrustFire or whatever... still worked. O-ring seals were perfect.
Controller - anything steel rusted... but it still worked (even tho it goes without the throttle sometimes and I had to make a switch)
9C motors - could not even tell they had sat. The unpainted version grew some crystals.
Batteries - meh - all my batteries were gone long ago... but I did find a rack of 2S Zero Emoli's in the bottom of a ditch. They still had enough charge to spark like hell even tho they were rusty!

Bikes - rusty... but fine.
Grips just melt off the bars
Seats are all stink water sponges
Chains are rusty but work
Freewheels, brakes, all those work fine

Basically... we have a pile of 35MPH vehicles that sat abandoned in the woods for years... and all they needed was some fresh love.
Wish I could say that about my 5.4L Jeep (rats nest)

Now... how to get rid of this $shit and make room for new projects. I got them going again - thats enough. I am totally over owning 25 ebikes.
Looking for homes...

-methods

I own one of your old crusty hubs. Fixed the hall and it still works. You have awesome junk 8)

Dauntless said:
Before you whacked all the weeds, were the bikes all, er, SECLUDED???

Before I wacked the weeds all the bikes were at my other spot. The weeds served as a place for cats to hide and play.
Now that the weeds are gone... the seeds they left have drawn the doves... and they have grown fat, peck, peck, pecking.
Soon it will be time for the cats to play again.

-methods

Back