Bafang /Luna ultra max fat tire converstion

socko

100 µW
JUST FINISHED MY BAFANG/LUNA ULTRA MAX MID DRIVE IZIIP SUMO CONVERSION,
couldn't ask for more fun on a fat tire bike.....

Attachments

• 20171106_142420.jpg
    20171106_142420.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 2,635
I can't give a comparison to the bbs motor because I've never rode one but I can say (after only 50 miles) with the Bagang, it's a giant improvement over the stock motor that after 2 years of fun and enjoyment just up a died.
The Ultra Max is super quiet , nice big power band and the gearsensor I installed from Luna improves the shifting from slaming gears a great deal.
It give the old girl new character...

Attachments

• 20171106_142511 copy 2.jpg
    20171106_142511 copy 2.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 2,541
Interesting. Did you buy the regular version or the ludicrous version?

Also- the iZip mount works with the Bafang ? Or did you have to modify the mount in any way?

After comparing dimensions of stock motor and mount style I told myself this conversion might work that's when I went off my rocker and took the plunge and purchased the regular version Bafang Ultra Max with optional motor mount. (also if this didn't work I think my wife was making plans to put me away in a nice soft cell)
The Izip mount was cut away enough to weld on stock mount, but before that the top of bafang mount was milled out to accommodate wiring and cables.
I had a few pitfalls hacking this together but the end result just blows me away.

That looks great. Can you post a close-up of the motor mount? How's the chain line? Not many reports yet on the Bafang Ultra motor. I dissected a prototype version a while back. If you ever want to go with an external controller, it looks pretty easy on those.

Thanks all for your interest , I"ll post more pic's when I figure out how to make them smaller.
The drive line was just sort of a mock up and weld, to do a perfect job a jig table would be required, but remember this is my backyard hack and relied a lot on luck and little money, if failed I would be looking for a custom frame or selling a new unused motor....
One thing I would like too add , I'm not an expert on ebikes I own this bike and two Bosch equipped bikes ,but I will say in my opinion Bafang really nailed it with this mid-drive, this is the bike thats getting the most attention now.

I am glad you have the skills to make this by yourself. I wish at some point in the future I learn enough to even begin to attempt something as complicated!

I am curious if you can provide some details about how this drive differs from the Bosch ones? Is it just more powerful - or is there more than that ? I have the gear sensors from Luna for the HD, so I can identify with the smooth experience.

I am trying to figure out what experience is fundamentally better than the HD (without having ridden one).

Thanks for this again.

Edit : you answered one of the question earlier. Sorry about that. :D
Edit 2: Sorry - I am trying to ask something more specific.

Bosch compared to Bafang, ok I would say bosch is just a tab more sensitive as in the force it takes to actavate power assist and bosch has built in gearsenor that works really well, but again the bafang is much more powerful and quieter.
I was worried that the bafang 1500watt power would be uncontrollable but not so, more then enough toque
to haul ass.
Although after a front tire blow out at 20mph this past spring, i"m a little reluctant to open it up.
Bosch has no throttle so it's all about your legs....

TEST PILOT NEEDED!

Attachments

• 20171017_153729%20copy_1.JPG
    20171017_153729%20copy_1.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 2,485
The Ultra motor is supposed to have an actual torque sensor for the pedals, unlike the BBSHD. The motor is also about 1.5x larger.
I bet it climbs hills well.

Ultra Max Motor Kit offerd by Luna
Nice picture of motor mount and to clear up some doubt the max mount and ultra max mounts do differ close but different.
==
https://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server800/9vkjq73s/products/1458/images/9079/DSC00302_1__45503.1507084953.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Attachments

• DSC00302_1__45503.1507084953.1280.1280.jpg
    DSC00302_1__45503.1507084953.1280.1280.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 2,416
Thanks. Can you please post close up pics for the cable routing ? It's not clear from the Luna pictures whether they come out at the top or on the rear of the motor. The mount spec also doesn't say where the cables are routed from .
Thanks for the help.

The electrical cables run over the top of motor (when motor installed in mount there's about 8mm of clearance for wire routing) the wheel sensor wire exits out the back any shift or brake cables can run under motor.
Sorry I don't have a picture of the mount after milling holes in top only this pic that shows factory machined rear hole were wire or cables exit.
hope this helps.....

Attachments

• GOPR2270_1.JPG
    GOPR2270_1.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 2,357
Thanks. Can you please share a top view and rear view close-up so we can see the electrical stuff and sensor wires.

Hi!
Do you need gear sensor? Bafang Ultra drive have build-in gera sensor, is it not good?

That's a good question, I'm using a gearsenor connected to front brake cut-off wire for now, I plan to use the designated gear sensor wire from motor loom later.
My understanding is max motors still needs triggered to cut motor power (gear senor wire at motor wire harness) unlike Bosch that's automatic and built in the motor, not a lot of information out there on Ulta Max so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I now have nearly 100 miles on bike and more focused on motor operation then if I for got any nuts or bolts from assembly all tight,and
this motor is operating perfect....

Back