'98 Quintana Roo panamint mxus xf07 350w fr hub

Show off your E-bike creation here.
eCue
100 W
100 W

'98 Quintana Roo panamint mxus xf07 350w fr hub

Post by eCue » Nov 22, 2017 12:06 pm

As parts roll in I have started to assemble the ebike
Had the panamint frame shipped to Canada from Mexico City years ago as a new old stock frame its still in minty condition without marks chips or paint flaws despite being 19 years old.

The frame is a 21 inch mtb frame = 3.6lbs
Manitou Scrarab Elite fork = 3.1 lbs
Front wheel with Mxus 350w Hub = 8.3lbs
Nexus 4-sp internally geared hub = 3 lbs
xt and xtr with ritchey bars stem headset
carbon bar ends

Started the thread to share photos / videos of my lightish weight ebike build then ride performance.

The Motor a mxus xf07 2.8kg geared hub motor is reported to have 60nm of torque and can make 1hp / 750w at higher voltages.

The stickers say 26" 350w and 36v.which is odd as normally the 48v version is 350w

If you have something similar feel free to add photos or links of your ebike / part choices and educate us.

Will add more photos when further parts arrive and the build starts to progress. Currently the rear wheel is being laced and its getting close to completion

Still waiting for the battery pas sensor and various switches to arrive

Performance gain

Will be adding on a set of mid 90's old stock Rito aerobar clip ons to the handlebars to reduce drag at speed.

I found out they do make a 36v 350w version they call it the upgraded version on ebikebc with a 350w nominal 550w max rating.Makes me think i'll get 450w out of it @48v.

Rated for 60nm torque at 36v , the inside of the upgraded xf07 looks pretty bad ass

Solar charge station on wheels = distance not limited by the wall sockets :D

eCue
100 W
100 W

Re: '98 Quintana Roo panamint mxus xf07 350w fr hub

Post by eCue » Nov 30, 2017 1:32 pm

I normally use Clinchers but bought a set 2.00 tires for the ebuild.
After checking the numbers using this http://bikecalculator.com/examples.html cycle calculator I will be using a set of Clinchers on the ebike.

Using the calculator it shows that I would gain 5 kmh for top speed and arrive about 25% sooner. Not sure how to convert it to ebike battery distances as a lot of real life factors come into play.

I guesstimate the tires and aerobars will increase distance by about 35% optimistically using clip on aerobars with a set of clinchers.

My current ride with 1.25 slicks on

LewTwo
100 kW
100 kW

Post by LewTwo » Dec 07, 2017 8:33 pm

Hard to tell from the pics. Is this a front or rear hub motor?
oops ... guess I should have looked at the title.
Did you ever get this finished ?
The more I learn the more obvious the immensity of my ignorance becomes.
Weight Wennie E-Bike https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 3#p1173723
Shaft Drive Grocery Getter https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =6&t=90718
...and thanks to Justin!

eCue
100 W
100 W

Post by eCue » Dec 07, 2017 9:15 pm

Yeah thats just my pedal bike
Still waiting for a slow boat from China shipping the battery also I re-ordered a little KT controller rated for 36v 20A or 48v 22A 350-500w.
Hoping to have it on the road by early January.

Side note decided to nix the clincher idea and use some low rr 2.00 tires for their added safety and versatility.

LewTwo
100 kW
100 kW

Post by LewTwo » Dec 08, 2017 2:54 am

Side note decided to nix the clincher idea and use some low rr 2.00 tires for their added safety and versatility.
You might find this story interesting ...
http://www.velonews.com/where-the-rubbe ... tires-fast

Unless you go for sewup, I think you find nearly all current bicycles are clinchers ... I could be wrong (that happened at least once before).
The more I learn the more obvious the immensity of my ignorance becomes.
Weight Wennie E-Bike https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 3#p1173723
Shaft Drive Grocery Getter https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =6&t=90718
...and thanks to Justin!

eCue
100 W
100 W

Post by eCue » Dec 08, 2017 12:13 pm

That was informative , Amazing how well the Specialized S-works Turbo tire did vs the Tubular tires pretty much neck and neck with 31.6 vs 32.8 rr vs 53 and 59 of the bottom contenders. It seems Specialized has some kind of Flubber rubber ! ..
side note Clinchers relate to the tires thin profile to be in the mix you must "look" the part

eCue
100 W
100 W

Post by eCue » Dec 14, 2017 10:07 pm

for a change of pace and improved all weather braking I deiced to swap out the v-brakes and picked up a nexus IM55 roller brake and a TRP spyre mech disc for the manitou fork.

Im happy to be moving away from v-brakes for the ebuild as the faster you cruise the more important the stopping distance becomes .

Its nice to stop when you pull the levers not slow like with my wet v-brakes

IM65 180gr.

TRP Spyre ~ 154 gr. wheel

IM55 ~ 650 gr. 140mm cooling disc

Im debating using a front derailleur i may well end up ditching it and just resize the sprocket to suit the bikes need.

motomech
100 MW
100 MW

Post by motomech » Dec 15, 2017 10:33 am

I like the mech. disc brk.s on my GT. They are strong w/ good feel, but are kind of noisey compared to hydros.
Front derailleur- On thing for sure, w/ a motor, you won't be shifting it. You can remove it, but you may experience the chain jumping off. On my Rocky Mountain, I had to add a bolt-on guard to the big chain ring and re-adjust te derailleur to prevent that.
On my GT, I left everything intact, but slid the shifter down on the bars and turned it around so it is underneith. It's completely out of the way and I don't even realize it's there. That way, the derailleur is still there to prevent chain jumping.
On both bikes, the vacant space where the shifter was is where I place my left-hand throttle(s).
Larger chain rings-On my RM, I went from a 44T to a 50T, the largest that would fit. W/ the 11T X 50T gearing, I can peal up to 22-23 mph.
My GT came w/ a 48T, which is good for 20-22 mph.
Motomech

'03 Rocky Mountain Edge 2WD 260 Q100H frt and Ezee V1 rear 2 Elifebike 20A & 25A 9-FET controllers 12S/20Ah Multistar Lipo rear 5Ah Turnigy frt Luna Cyclops Extra lite Alex 24DM rims, 2.4 Holly Rollers run ghetto tubeless. 25 mph. Mean Well HLG-320H-48A
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =3&t=83430
'07 GT Idive 4 4.0, Q100C 201 12S LiPoly elifebike 9-FET 17A controller. 20 MPH.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 8#p1237928

eCue
100 W
100 W

Post by eCue » Dec 15, 2017 7:23 pm

Are you using the same brakes or what models brakes are you using ?
I chose the spyre on peoples recommendations over the BB7 which I was thinking of using.

This Panamint frame has pesky vertical drop outs with them and the IG nexus hub it requires a chain tensioner to wit I picked up the Alfine c5000 tensioner. With it can use two chain rings upfront and swap out rear sprocket without having to resize the chain.

As the chain line never changes with a IG hub the chain should not be dropping much especially using the Alfine tensioner , it feels stronger then derailleur springs its a little beast of a tensioner.

I think I will end up leaving the 2nd 39 chain ring on and I'll have it if a need arises and can flip on by hand. It weighs next to nothing so i might as well leave it on in this circumstance.

Choosing a pedal was no easy task I have been looking for weeks and never felt good enough about a pedal until I came across and bought the below pedal set for $30 , it ships from the u.s

Features:
Made of magnesium alloy with CNC outer case, sturdy axis make for long term durable use.
Corrosion resistant spindle and anti-slip locking spikes.
Big platform shape for long ride comfort and pedaling efficiency.
Smoothly spinning axis increases riding experience.

Material: Magnesium Alloy

Size: 104 x 97 x 22mm
3 sealed bearings
Spindle: Cr-mo CNC machined