AussieRiders beach cruiser ressurected

G'day peoples,
A while ago, I built a beach cruiser.
Eden3o.jpg
Then, last February, I had the LiPo batts go up in flames, taking the bike with it.
IMG_20301024_025014.jpg
Even melted the alloy wheel rim! It was hot!
IMG_20301113_045649.jpg
After a total strip down, the frame wasn't damaged, although a lot of alloy brackets were melted away. It was a good feeling when I saw the frame wasn't badly damaged & my nads dropped out of my throat back to where they belong!
Anyway, the frame just needed minor repairs and a respray.
The panniers were totally destroyed & since they were made with a total loss mould technique, I couldn't easily reproduce them but I got some small motorcycle units on the 'net. All I had to do was paint & make the mounts for them.
Newmount1.jpg
Newmount2.jpg
And so, here it is, Eden3 resurrected.
Eden3R1.jpg
Eden3R2.jpg
Eden3R3.jpg
Batteries are in the right hand pannier, under this cover.
Eden3R4.jpg
The new battery is a 4S8P Li Ion pack built with Samsung cells with a BMS.

Nice one mate! Glad to see it being rebuilt. Now get out there and enjoy your summer :mrgreen:

Thanks for that fellas. Test rides show a lot less range since the new battery is treated a lot gentler. Both packs were / are 8S, 10Ah. The old LiPo pack gave me 24 km but I was abusing it, discharging to 3.0V per cell & charging to 4.2 V per cell with no BMS, thinking I knew what I was doing. This time, the Li_Ion pack with BMS that cuts out at 3.2 V per cell & charging to just 3.7 V per cell giving 10 Km range. I'll up the charge when I'm braver.
Any of you in Melbourne Australia, mark down February 18, 2018 for the EV expo & I hope to see you there!

AussieRider

FWIW, 3.7v/cell is on the almost-flat part of the curve, so you could be anywhere from close to empty, to barely half full, to getting towards full.

Thanks AW, you're quite right. The charger seems to be for 7s config, not 8s. If I can source a 32v Li-Ion charger, I'll be fine. Or, while the cells are still new, get 2 more & reconfigure the pack to 6p7s. Had to do this on the Industrial Mutant bike & found that 7 fully charged cells hold a lot more than 8 barely charged ones.

Back