* * * The 20kph Club * * *

Lock

100 MW
For those that appreciate the slow lane, smelling the roses on the way to work, and still passing most of the traffic...

Post here
:)

Lock

I'm sorry man.
That is just waay too slo. :lol:

I wouldn't need to shlep an extra 30 to 50 lbs. of hardware if 20 kph was all I was after.
I like to keep my motor in economy mode which tops out at 25 kph.
Add in light pedaling & most of my time is between 25 to 30 kph which is my ideal speed range for enjoying the scenery.

I'm going 29 to 33 kph average for my trip to work and back, feels like the right speed for me. Much faster and I might as well be on a motorcycle, much slower and I might as well peddle and not carry 30 pounds of batteries.

Can't join the club

Mark

I'm there when i'm not in a rush or I can't find a testosterone poisoned spandex fool to wear out.
:D :) :lol:

Where's the thread for folks preferring to crawl around town on all fours.... :?: :wink:

xyster said:
Where's the thread for folks preferring to crawl around town on all fours.... :?: :wink:
HA! You guys are funny.
Most of my commutes are extended by at least five minutes, by sidewalk conversations about the EV (Is that motorized?How fast does it go?How far does it go?)... But usually much longer - by breakfast or lunch on a patio, while opportunity charging.

I am surrounded by two million commuters, half of whom commute 20km or less EVery day, and their average trip speeds are only 20kph.

The EV weighs about 50lbs, so I don't feel like I'm carrying "extra weight" compared to many neighbours carrying extra weight as groceries/whatever.

I enjoy speed too. I like to sail faster than the wind on a boat that has a trampoline, trapeze and stirrups. Back in the `60's, Molsons shot a boat like mine towing a water skier, for a TV beer commercial...

But racing through traffic? Been there, done that. Gave away the shirt.

Priorities in land transport now are comfort and safety and cost. I am not so crippled by testosterone <wink>

tks

Lock

A motor to help you go 20km/h? Man, sorry to hear about your physical disability, that has to really suck...

Looks like I made a 20km/h club attempt the other day (in spite of myself):

The other day when I came home from my bro's place, pretty shure I rode most of the ~7kms at less then 20km/h that day. It was raining and 10-15 degrees out. Would have been a non-issue normally, but I had used one of my fenderless bikes to get there, and brought no kind of rain wear. Just a long sleeved cotton shirt, so I was gonna get wet no matter what. In order to see where I was going and keep my heat up, I kept the bike going slow by pushing against the front brake almost all the way home. Sorta like riding in winter when it's too cold for the clothes you got on, except it was a lot wetter. I thought it sucked until I had this kinda zen moment where I told myself "I'm doing rain. This is nor good, nor bad." And then the rest of the way home was OK. When I was almost home though(maybe 1-2 kms), at some point I done frocked up that I got in a left turn lane too early, as in 3 lights early. I used this as an excuse to not go slow anymore, cheated the 20km/h club... Screw the zen thing, dropped the hammer... I've rarely done 0-40 that fast... All warmed up and not much spent at all... Kept it going over the next three lights, then turned left. All the while, the bike made huge rooster tails that I thought looked pretty cool, the force of the water was surprising, it also made me get real cold real fast, but hey I was already wet and close to home anyways...

The end!

PS. The road I was on to do that left turn is Boulvard Laurier, 3 lanes each side at that level, excluding turn lanes. It's a bad idea to take an inner lane going slow in such conditions, because cars seem to have issues seeing bikes as well when it's raining... Lights are really crucial here, reflectors won't cut it. A fluorescent yellow rain coat with reflective strips would be a lot better, but I had dark clothes. So this is partly what motivated me to go about as fast as I could...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1001281

Mathurin said:
A motor to help you go 20km/h? Man, sorry to hear about your physical disability, that has to really suck...
Yup. I have two clients that are both 20km away and 400ft higher, and it takes hours to walk there.

I also have Dupuytren's Contracture, and am one of the lucky 10% of those who also have it in their feet.

When I worked for the MS Society, the folks trapped in their chairs with MS termed the rest of us "TABs"... the Temporarily Able Bodied.

Some day you too will be crippled, if you live long enough.

Travelling in heavy urban traffic on a light-weight two-wheeler as pedal bike with power assist is of course the stupidest form of exercise on the planet. Because of the danger of being crushed, and also because exertion as elevated respiration rate increases exposure to tailpipe exhaust.

I'm surfin' the empty sidewalks. Commuting as entertainment. But you will never know :)

It was raining and 10-15 degrees out.
Fantastic. It's better in the cold and wet. Sidewalks empty out, and trip speeds go up a bit.

I recall one fun commute. Got off the electric subway only half-way there.(the motorized scoot is OK in transit vehicles. No gas onboard. And half of it disappears under a subway seat.) Anywhooo, minus 25C that morning.
Just scooted the rest of the way for the pure pleasure of surfin' the sidewalks.

tks

Lock

Oh, but I do love commuting!

When I got around in a car, I wanted to get it done with as soon as possible, on a bike things are quite different. How many times have I taken absurdly long detours coming home just to make it last longer? Granted, going slower would make it last longer too but... I dunno. I prefer beating other cyclists then get beaten by them, though riding an electric bike completely kills this fun... Well you can't have it all...

Mathurin said:
Oh, but I do love commuting!
Good stuff. Me too! My favourite commute is the trip from bedroom to office, just down the back stairs...

Granted, going slower would make it last longer too but... I dunno. I prefer beating other cyclists then get beaten by them, though riding an electric bike completely kills this fun... Well you can't have it all...

But you are beating the pedal folks and the car-bimbos in so many ways... when you look at quality of life.

IMHO power-assist makes the pedal bike much safer. Greater acceleration, and easier to accelerate too (with assist), so easier to slow down when necessary for safety.

I spend less time in and around intersections. This makes things safer.

The car-bimbos like to think of themselves as highly-evolved beings.

In fact they communicate mostly by horn. A honk that is less nuanced than the honk that comes from the brain of a Canada Goose.

On two wheels, we communicate using whole words and phrases. Things like "Good Morning", and "Excuse Me", and "Please" and "Thank You".

The list of advantages and pleasures, 2 wheels over 4, just goes on and on.

Maybe I should cover the next scoot with cup-holders. I understand it is an important feature these days that ppl look for in a new vehicle.

tks

Lock

car-bimbos like to think of themselves as highly-evolved beings.

In fact they communicate mostly by horn.

:lol:

Single syllable sign-language too....

bush_middle_finger.jpg

Hehehe... Yes, a variety of hand signals... A lot more than I was taught in drivers school. At least I only ever see the Thumbs Up signal from the folks in the minivans and SUVs...

"Oh, look Honey, thank goodness someone (else) is doing something for the environment!"

To be fair, it does seem like they do have a few different honks. I hear angry honks and happy honks, hurry up honey we're late honks, hey, do you need a taxi honks...

It's just not fair that they get to inflict the audio portion of their communications on the rest of the world.

Were I King, all the four-wheelers would have a horn ON THE INSIDE OF THE VEHICLE as well as outside, to give folks pause to think about the button they are about to push. In a REAL need situation, there would be no hesitation.

tks

Lock

I tend to agree with Mathurin that the long detours are as much fun as the trip itself, the bike allows access to areas a car will never know. Someday my watts up meter will get straightened out in the mail and will arrive and I'll have a better idea of range so I can allow yet longer detours.

I didn't understand however the references to 10-15 degrees. I have a huge closet, really big with lots of coats and sweaters, wind shirts and hats, gloves and even socks. At 60 degrees it's too cold to go much over walking speed plus I have so many clothes on at that point I can hardly ride. But, since a lot of you folks talk in kilometers instead of real distances, I tried figuring out that maybe he was talking Celsius temperatures. I think 15 degrees Celsius is close to 60 real degrees and that is a little more human.

But, I did do the math on 20KM per hour. That's only 12.5 MPH and I can pedal that fast! Not on my ebike for any length of time but all day on the road bike. I won't like it but I can do it. I think. Maybe. I'm older today than I was yesterday and I was tired then. Better make sure my SLA's are charged up.
Mike

Might be that bundling up for the cold makes it harder to operate the Victorian pedal bike. But I just spent ten years living in a "car-free" community, and many of `em bike near year-round.

No problem in a standup kick scoot though... bundling up. No spandex needed either.

Nice thing about hybrids as human-electric is that you *can* kick for warmth in the cold... or pedal if limited to a pedal bike. I imagine the Segway folks freeze their butts off.

Hybrids get EVen better for the stinkin'hot summer days, `cause you can lean on the batts more and kick/pedal/exert/overheat less.

I have a lot of sleeveless shirts, and the wind whistling through the `pits on hot days just feels great/cool.

Maybe this is the year I buy a kilt <grin>

Lock

Used to be in this club but have since moved on,I achieved 35km/h the other day...and am considering adding on another 12 volts just for grins. :) :D :lol: Speed is addictive!

The old setup used to go 20km/h maxed out and at the time was quite allright,the first time with the new clyte was absolutely great and there's no turning back now. 8)

Eric

Used to be in this club but have since moved on,I achieved 35km/h the other day...and am considering adding on another 12 volts just for grins....Speed is addictive!

Welcome to the YAMHOT (Ya, I'm Hot) club...

Yet Another Member Hooked On Tech :D

Lock said:
For those that appreciate the slow lane, smelling the roses on the way to work, and still passing most of the traffic...

Post here
:)

Lock

At dusk, I set my cruise control (device made from a pill bottle top) at 8-10 mph (13-16 kph) and cruise the neighborhoods. Its very refreshing and good for the soul. Makes for a good night sleep. :)

Just getting back to earlier thoughts on forms of communication by auto, I was reminded of Honkus... just wish to share for your amusement...

Seen here:
http://www.honku.org./

A few examples:

Gruesome hit and run
fatalities up ahead
how awful - I'm late.

Drove six hours to
the Mall of America
got some McNuggets.

My Ford Explorer
on a never-ending quest
for a parking spot.