Using gas to power your car and waste over 90% of the energy as you drive, not so good.
From an article in the September 2005 issue of Scientific American:
Despite 119 years of refinement, the modern car remains astonishingly inefficient. Only 13 percent of its fuel energy even reaches the wheels - the other 87 percent is either dissipated as heat and noise in the engine and drivetrain or lost to idling and accessories such as air conditioners. Of the energy delivered to the wheels, more than half heats the tires, road and air. Just 6 percent of the fuel energy actually accelerates the car (and all this energy converts to brake heating when you stop). And, because 95 percent of the accelerated mass is the car itself, less than 1 percent of the fuel ends up moving the driver.
Thats alot of energy wasted.
Energy contained in a litre of fuel
Petrol 9,700Wh/l 12,200Wh/kg
Diesel 10,700Wh/l 12,700Wh/kg
This electric car suffers from the same problem of heating its tires.