THE WORLD BIGGEST HUB MOTOR

Doctorbass

100 GW
Incredibly... it is THIS mining truck that use the hub motor!!!

4 of those are using the power of a 3240hp generator 2.5 MW of ELECTRIC power!!.. making around 800kW each!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

cat797.jpg

mining-truck-caterpillar-797.jpg

Doc

I think one of those would work on a penny farthing. :lol:

This is a 3000 hp Ac "hub" motor as used on the big dump trucks, with a 32:1 reduction gbox attached.
They also use electric "retard' braking as even the multi rotor, 20 caliper mechanical brakes wont hold the 500t unit when rolling downhill !!
MT5500_Wheelmotor_10.jpg

dingotookmybaby said:
try calling that a frock motor
Well, it certainly is pretty frockin' big. ;)
Lock said:
So, how fast DOES it go?
:mrgreen:
At that size, I don't think it matters anymore--it's still terminal velocity. :p

Yeah, just goes to show how unpractical and unreliable a hub motor is. Especially if you want real power. I think those things go about 20 mph unloaded, and maybe 10 loaded. Any faster and they have to rebuild the road into the pit too often. I often think of those when people scoff that hybrid systems couldn't possibly work for anything but a teeny tiny car. The other hybrid is a railroad locomotive.

Remember, if you want to go all EV (no generator on board), you might need to fill the whole dump bed with batteries (Quick, Martha, buy stock in companies that make duck tape and/or BIG shrinkwrap!). :twisted:

Cameron

Those things have some really big braking resistors.
This one is 100kW:
Resistor-DhY-Loco-Web.png

When I used to be in the mining business, I remember driving in a pickup truck around those things thinking they wouldn't even notice if they ran over me.

http://tinyurl.com/22vbbc6

http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=letourneau+tree+crusher&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=l7EDTfGdItCSnweOwLDlDQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CDEQsAQwAg&biw=1264&bih=603

Hubmotor Letourneau's have been around since 1958. I ran a bush mill in the Mackenzie area when this thing was busy smashing down the jack pine in 1963. IIRC it was paid $1000/hour, but only while actually moving forward. A tally man rode in the machine and clocked the forward motion.

dogman said:
..... I often think of those when people scoff that hybrid systems couldn't possibly work for anything but a teeny tiny car. The other hybrid is a railroad locomotive.

Technically these are not "hybrids" since they cannot operate on solely the ICE or just the electric drive by its self .
They are ICE powered (diesel ) , with an "Electric transmission" drive instead of a conventional clutch /gearbox / axle system.

I remember driving in a pickup truck around those things thinking they wouldn't even notice if they ran over me.

I have a LOT of hours on a fairly conventional 25-ton, but for two weeks I operated a 100-ton. It was scary, because the construction industry has a couple of day-dreamers on every crew...here's a famous pic from the industry, easy to find. ENORMOUS blind-spot for the driver as you can imagine...

ute-crushed-mining-truck.jpg

Doctorbass said:

Doc

I just noticed that you showed the Cat 797....
Ironically, that is the ONLY mining dump truck that DOES NOT use electricaly transmission or wheel motors !! :shock:
It uses a conventional mechanical transmission set up. !...a computer controlled, seven speed planetary transmission with an integral lock-up torque converter.

The Komatsu 960e would be a typical electric wheel motor driven truck..
Komatsu-960E-1-Mining-Truck-1.jpg

Doctorbass said:

4 of those are using the power of a 3240hp generator 2.5 MW of ELECTRIC power!!.. making around 800kW each!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

cat797.jpg

Doc

Doc;
You screwed up in the Fronglais. There is no e-moto in the HUB.

Powertrain

The Caterpillar 797 series trucks employ mechanical drive powertrains in contrast to the diesel-electric powertrains of similar haul trucks offered by competitors.[4] During initial development in 1997, a diesel-electric powertrain was considered for the 797, but this powertrain configuration was not developed because Caterpillar considered a mechanical drive powertrain more appropriate for market conditions at that time.[8]

EDIT;
The 797 is a 400 short ton truck, not 100T It is just over 100T EMPTY.

This one might be in line for the biggest hub motor:
MT6300AC
Payload Capacity 363 t (400 ton)
Gross Weight 598,640 kg (1,320,000 lb)
Engine(s) Detroit Diesel/MTU 20V4000
Arrangement: V-20
Power: 3,750 horsepower (2,800 kW)
Transmission(s) AC Electric

The large fan behind the operator cab is for the braking resistors.
mt6300ac.jpg

Gordo, I was wrong.. as sometimes.. I posted too fast without re-reading my post :lol:

Fechter.. You mentionned it's an AC motor!.. Welll I would be curious to see the controller of that hub motor!!!.. and the dozens of IGBTs :shock:

Doc

Yes Fechter, 2800 kw, but my question, is that overvolted?

Seriously though, I wonder how they deal with the need for sudden spikes of power? Does the diesel just rev up and that's it?

Seems like you'd end up carrying a lot of unnecessary ICE weight, or have pretty terrible acceleration.

What's the 0-100 time on one of those? (unloaded of course)

Katou

Adding conventional 4WD shafts to all the wheels would cause other engineering problems. Trust me, they tried both, and they found some reason they like these (series hybrid?) for the bigger trucks.

Most of those big load trucks are only 2 wheel drive.
The main advantage of the electric transmission is reduced maintenance ( more operating time = $$$) particularly clutches and brakes , which would not last a day without the Retard braking.

Here's the official datasheet for the MT6300AC:
http://www.bucyrus.com/media/59167/mt6300ac.pdf

"Electric Drive System
Alternator Brushless direct drive
Controls Microprocessor-controlled IGBT
Traction motors W63 triple reduction
Gear ratio 32:1 to 42:1
Speed (maximum) 64 km/h (40 mph)
• The MT6300AC features an all-new AC drive system that can significantly
reduce friction brake wear. This new drive system allows the truck
to transition from full propel to full retard in less than a second, and
the dynamic retarding can fully stop the truck.
Dynamic retarding Max power rating 4,474 kW (6000 hp)

The inverter probably looks similar to this:
electric-locomotives-gto-ba-250x250.jpg

I bet that 4.5MW braking resistor is pretty big.

Siemens make many of the drive systems for these trucks.
a few quotes from their site ...
Note the comments about the "Full electric" , Zero emissions, trolley drive system.

Amusing video also ..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY7lBw28bEM&feature=related

Electricity, not Diesel. A 3,000 hp diesel engine generates the current. So why doesn’t it just propel the truck too? "The reason is simple. It’s just not worth putting the engine and gears of a car onto the slopes of a mine. A gearbox powerful enough to handle the workload required of these trucks would be enormous, and would also need a lot of maintenance," says Köllner, explaining the drawbacks of purely mechanical propulsion.

Not only do the trucks dispense with gearboxes. Thanks to their electric drive systems, they also do without clutches and brake disks in normal operation. Electrical resistors are used to brake the vehicles, and speed can be stepless­ly adjusted via three-phase current frequency. "Such trucks are essentially driven like a car with an automatic gearbox," says Köllner, who is an engineer and has actually driven one of the behemoths.

For over 30 years now, Siemens has been using three-phase current drives for mining vehicles. "The rotating electric field can be transformed directly into mechanical rotation," says Köllner. Some manufacturers, on the other hand, still prefer DC drive systems. In such motors, however, the current has to be constantly interrupted and re-engaged to generate a rotational movement. This limits the revolutions per minute that a motor of this type can attain. And it requires more parts that need to be maintained regularly. "Our alternating current motors can deliver up to seven percent more performance from the same amount of energy, and downtimes for maintenance and repair work are rare," says Köllner. "Generally, just one technology check a year is all that’s needed."

Giant Trucks, Zero Emissions. AC drives also form the basis for a develop­ment from Siemens that can significantly speed up the transport of mining products: trolley trucks. Such vehicles function like streetcars—sporting antler-like pantographs that can be raised and lowered at the press of a button. This means that the driver can link the truck to overhead conductors (catenaries), which are generally installed on steep slopes. "This is where conventional trucks, despite their 3,000 plus hp, can only advance at a snail’s pace," says Köllner. The catenaries can provide the drive systems with almost 6,000 hp. This means that the truck’s speed can almost double, and the mine operators can reduce the number of expensive mechanical giants they need to have on site.

The environment benefits from trolley technology too. There are no local emissions, since the diesel engine switches itself off automatically when contact is made with the overhead line. What’s more, the braking energy that is released when a truck rolls downhill is fed back into the network via a second pair of conductors. Thanks to all these benefits, the technology quickly pays for itself, says Köllner. "After no more than three years, a mine operator can recover the costs of buying the trolley trucks and the costs associated with the installation of the overhead lines."

Back