http://www.technologyreview.com/energy/38615/?p1=MstRcnt

Good comment from site
Imagine a fully carbon induction motor

My idea is to add flywheel function for storage hello carbon fibre rotor
energy proportional to velocity squared
The xmission is the problem trying to step down speed
Or else you cant do direct drive

that is extremely exiting news to the e-transport world

a nano carbon fiber wire that is as good or better then copper, doesn't loose energy as heat, is mechanically stronger, dose not corrode, and is one 6th the weight
but the question in my mind now is (HOW MUCH)
could this be the new version (including electricity) of oil
just keep raising the price till you can either drive to work or eat?
or is it a technology that for once is not fueled by greed but to better all of man kind?

either way thanks for posting this exiting news

I'm concerned that much of the carbon stock used to make graphene or nano-tubes (like rolled up chicken wire) comes from graphite, which isn't exactly abundant. Probably as abundant as copper, which is still reasonably abundant. I don't know for sure, but can carbon be chemically reduced from say, CO2 and deposited in such a way that graphene is produced? All sounds rather expensive...

Can you imagine re-winging a motor with this stuff? It would be like tying your shoelaces!

EDIT: Yep, it's made from the pyrolysis of n-hexane :D

http://mtlweb.mit.edu/researchgroups/mems-salon/john_02_zhu.pdf

Who cares about money when we all will have flying cars and an imaginable standard of living
Finally independent
to pull up your stake and give "your" gov the middle finger
off into the Sunclipse

Our civilization is going to go high end everything for all once we kill
the Grunch of Giants
Then the pop problem takes care of itself
High live stand = low birth rate

This had me think of printed circuit board applications: The article is a little bit dated, but can you imagine if there was a breakthrough in multilayer PCB design using nano-inks and having high-current possibilities! A nano-imbued controller connected to nano-wires connected to a nano-impregnated motor: Bound to be a screamer :twisted:

~KF

Pcbs! Now youre thinkn Kingfish! 3d
Tanks!
The veins and the body is carbon
Integrated wiring with of these
[youtube]l4DLr8qHliI[/youtube]
It can weave a t shirt in two layers with no seams

How `bout "more conductive than copper"? Seen here:
Tawfick’s “wonder material” 50x stronger for flexible electronics:
http://mechanical.illinois.edu/news/tawfick’s-“wonder-material”-50x-stronger-flexible-electronics

... and:
a level of toughness that is about fifty times higher than copper films, currently used in electronics.

:mrgreen: Mmmm... "synthesized thin carbon nanotube (CNT)" (just throwing that phrase in here for ES Bible Searchers.)

Includes:
“The study of the fracture energy of CNT textiles led us to design these extremely tough films,” stated Yue Liang, a former graduate student with the Kinetic Materials Research group and lead author of the paper, “Tough Nano-Architectured Conductive Textile Made by Capillary Splicing of Carbon Nanotubes,” appearing in Advanced Engineering Materials. To our knowledge, this is the first study of the fracture energy of CNT textiles.

Beginning with catalyst deposited on a silicon oxide substrate, vertically aligned carbon nanotubes were synthesized via chemical vapor deposition in the form of parallel lines of 5 µm width, 10 μm length, and 20–60 μm heights.

Tawfick-image1-400x361.jpg

8)

Back