HP ESP120 48V (51.4V) 57A 3KW Server Supply Thread

General Discussion about electric vehicles.
User avatar
Arlo1
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 8493
Joined: Apr 26, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: Nanaimo BC Canada
Contact:

Re: HP ESP120 48V (51.4V) 57A 3KW Server Supply Thread

Post by Arlo1 » Sep 04, 2017 9:24 am

liveforphysics wrote:I recently gave away the 6 of them that I had or I would be a tester for you. I'm glad you've got them figured out, and I'm shocked more Zero owners are jumping on running them as home fast charging stations (just because they are a little heavy and bulky to carry for only 3kW).
For a long time I used two with a 12v meanwell as my 6kw charger for my zero. Its handy but its not often I need to fast charge at home.

I still have that kit to build up as well... I am thinking about getting 6 more of these for fast charging for my car.
My Leaf motor controller build. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 27#p963227
My YSR build http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRo8r5g4NBg
RC and most types of Lithium batteries you MUST know your individual cell voltages charging and discharging.
Don't keep them were you cant afford smoke or fire!
Never above 4.2v never below 2.7v EVER!!!
HI power controller design. Game Changer

User avatar
liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 14454
Joined: Oct 29, 2008 1:48 am
Location: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Re: HP ESP120 48V (51.4V) 57A 3KW Server Supply Thread

Post by liveforphysics » Sep 04, 2017 7:09 pm

Arlo1 wrote:
liveforphysics wrote:I recently gave away the 6 of them that I had or I would be a tester for you. I'm glad you've got them figured out, and I'm shocked more Zero owners are jumping on running them as home fast charging stations (just because they are a little heavy and bulky to carry for only 3kW).
For a long time I used two with a 12v meanwell as my 6kw charger for my zero. Its handy but its not often I need to fast charge at home.

I still have that kit to build up as well... I am thinking about getting 6 more of these for fast charging for my car.
For a car where you can just load them into the trunk and unload them at the track or dyno they would be pretty ideal for $/Watt.

They are like 100Watt/$.
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

SpmP
10 mW
10 mW
Posts: 29
Joined: Jul 03, 2014 8:01 pm

Re: HP ESP120 48V (51.4V) 57A 3KW Server Supply Thread

Post by SpmP » Sep 04, 2017 8:13 pm

I only need two ESP-120's to charge my batteries, so they live permanently under the passenger seat without too much drama ( other than salt air )...

Actually Just answered a question for myself... "if only they were liquid cooled" maybe I could liquid cool them by attaching a copper tube to the huge heatsinks and using an over-clockers cooler... hmm.... More drama, more to go wrong... Apparently a 0.05 micron filter may remove sea salt. The problem is actually condensation on the body as it cools once powered off I think.

nedfunnell
10 mW
10 mW
Posts: 30
Joined: Jun 30, 2009 10:45 pm

Re: HP ESP120 48V (51.4V) 57A 3KW Server Supply Thread

Post by nedfunnell » Sep 04, 2017 8:43 pm

If I ever get mine going, my thought is to have it onboard as a mountable module in the same place that an exhaust pipe would go- my Native even has the exhaust bracket still on, so that's an easy mounting point. Maybe I'd put it inside a pipe or something to keep it dry in case I got caught in the rain. Some appropriate connectors for AC in/DC out, thoughtful hardware to mount/dismount, and I'm good to go!

Although I can't help with any of the tasks listed, I am going to risk trying my unit on DC input. The flashing light/no output status I can't shake will be be enough to go on, I think, to see if it dies with DC input. As long as it does the same thing on AC as it does on DC, I think it's safe to say it's DC-compatible. I want this in order to be able to use it from the 200-250VDC available from my Prius HV battery, which would allow mobile/rescue charging.

User avatar
Arlo1
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 8493
Joined: Apr 26, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: Nanaimo BC Canada
Contact:

Re: HP ESP120 48V (51.4V) 57A 3KW Server Supply Thread

Post by Arlo1 » Sep 04, 2017 9:41 pm

liveforphysics wrote:
Arlo1 wrote:
liveforphysics wrote:I recently gave away the 6 of them that I had or I would be a tester for you. I'm glad you've got them figured out, and I'm shocked more Zero owners are jumping on running them as home fast charging stations (just because they are a little heavy and bulky to carry for only 3kW).
For a long time I used two with a 12v meanwell as my 6kw charger for my zero. Its handy but its not often I need to fast charge at home.

I still have that kit to build up as well... I am thinking about getting 6 more of these for fast charging for my car.
For a car where you can just load them into the trunk and unload them at the track or dyno they would be pretty ideal for $/Watt.

They are like 100Watt/$.

And quite simple to "make go" non of this non sharing CAN documents BS.
My Leaf motor controller build. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 27#p963227
My YSR build http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRo8r5g4NBg
RC and most types of Lithium batteries you MUST know your individual cell voltages charging and discharging.
Don't keep them were you cant afford smoke or fire!
Never above 4.2v never below 2.7v EVER!!!
HI power controller design. Game Changer

User avatar
amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 23950
Joined: Aug 17, 2009 6:43 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group
Contact:

Re: HP ESP120 48V (51.4V) 57A 3KW Server Supply Thread

Post by amberwolf » Sep 04, 2017 10:07 pm

SpmP wrote: The problem is actually condensation on the body as it cools once powered off I think.
Just ensure the temperature of the coils doesnt' drop below the dew point at the time, and you'll be ok.

You could use a thermostat to cease circulation a bit above the highest temperature you know a dewpoint will occur at, placed just past the outlet from the PSUs.

Or you could use an air humidity sensor along with an air thermometer a bit away from the setup (so it's heat doesn't register) along with an op-amp setup to combine the two readings (or MCU with appropriate programming) to determine the approximate dewpoint, and use that to offset the thermostat's reading to shutdown the circulation pump.

Or simply ensure your coolant is never dropped below the dewpoint. ;)

nedfunnell
10 mW
10 mW
Posts: 30
Joined: Jun 30, 2009 10:45 pm

Re: HP ESP120 48V (51.4V) 57A 3KW Server Supply Thread

Post by nedfunnell » Sep 11, 2017 1:16 pm

OK, news from my DC input experiment:

The PSU does not function on 220VDC input. However, interestingly, it started to function on AC just fine after I tried it on DC! I didn't try it on AC today before I tried DC- I should have. I'm happy it's working now, and I hope it turns out to be reliable!

I also tried a Sony APS-162 on 220VDC. It powered on just fine, although I did not load test it due to lack of time/setup.

SpmP
10 mW
10 mW
Posts: 29
Joined: Jul 03, 2014 8:01 pm

Re: HP ESP120 48V (51.4V) 57A 3KW Server Supply Thread

Post by SpmP » Sep 27, 2017 2:39 pm

aaah, oversharing... WHilst playing with my new cell top modules I managed to overcharge one cell all night.
Now dead, 0 ohms, and slow charging didn't recover it.
So there you go LiFePO4 is very sensitive 8(

Anyway, more serious matters, I am re-doing this charger sooner than later and have a question that one of you may know off the top of your head, or have a unit they are happy to kill in the process of finding out:

I2C has a separate power supply - i.e appears to be isolated from PSU -ve, and I want to modulate the output voltage via a I2C DAC, but the voltage out of the DAC needs to be 0-5V (or - something) relative to PSU -ve.
Can I tie the I2C ground and the PSU -ve together without BANG! and other adverse effects?

I could try this at home some time, but also risk then having one dead cell and one dead charger... feeling over cautious atm 8)

When I am done the block diagram and basic schematic I will ping you guys to check the github repo.

Anyone know of any easy Arduino -> Android frameworks or whatever. Old cell phones are cheaper than largish LCD's! Using Bluetooth or WiFi

SpmP
10 mW
10 mW
Posts: 29
Joined: Jul 03, 2014 8:01 pm

Re: HP ESP120 48V (51.4V) 57A 3KW Server Supply Thread

Post by SpmP » Sep 27, 2017 9:30 pm

All right, a picture and some words.
Feedback is greatly appreciated:

https://github.com/spmp/LiFePO4-Charge- ... ersionDeux

I notice that for some reason I protected the Vsense pin with a Schottky diode to VCC, why? Is this faster/better than a zener? With a 1.1 Vref, then a 1.8V zener should have enough time to conduct right?

Post Reply