Ridgid Tools goes Li-ion, lifetime warranty

TylerDurden

100 GW
Might be of interest... yes, lifetime warranty on batteries.

24V Hammer-drill on sale at HomeDepot for $299US

includes two 24V 3Ah batteries and charger

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/XLi-24-Volt-Cordless-Hammer-Drill

Features
Powerful 2-speed die cast gearbox – delivers exceptional torque and rugged reliability
High torque 24 volt motor – supplies the power to do heavy jobs
Adjustable auxiliary handle assembly – rotates 360° for ease in positioning
Single sleeve locking carbide chuck – tightens bits quickly and securely
Automatic spindle lock – open and close chuck with one hand
Clutch by-pass – switch from driving to drilling or hammer drilling without having to change the clutch settings
Ergonomic overmold gripping areas – provides user comfort and better grip
Slide in battery pack – easily load-n-lock with one hand

Specifications
Battery: 3.0 amp hour Lithium-Ion
Chuck: 1/2 in.
No Load Speeds: 0-400 / 0-1,500 r/min.
0-6,400 / 0-24,000 BPM
Torque: 615 in.lb.
Clutch: 24 position
Charger: 1 Hour

Includes
2 Lithium-Ion battery packs, 1 hour charger, screwdriver bit, and heavy duty bag

huge picture here: http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/2DF25CEE68424C2C85F22D073C87BF49/R851150_1_Final_3C.jpg

I could actually use a new drill... I just gotta get some connector blocks like Jon :D

edited to correct typo in title

Attachments

• rigidDrill1.jpg
    rigidDrill1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 7,711
I'm really interested to see how lithium-manganese (milwaukee/emoli) competes over the long haul against lithium-iron-phospate (a123). And then there's the altair nano, high-rate fuel cells, and probably many others in the near future.

For now, looks to me like lithium-manganese is the better chemistry for small EV's, and lithium-iron-phosphate the better chemistry for the RC world. Covered the reasons in other threads.

It's a great price $300 (and it INCLUDES a free drill!)-- the only thing is that they're claiming 24V. So this has me wondering if the pack has 7 cells (like e-moli) or 6 cells. If it really is 6 cells, this is probably how they're getting away with a lower price. On the plus side, more competition should mean lower prices in the future.

If these lithium manganese cells are being made in China and the e-molis are being made in canada, then that tells me there is some room for future price reductions-- not that I mind supporting the Canadian economy.

they are not " yet " being mass produced in larger AH cells... for ebike use you need to paralell them up.. making charging a chore/more complex...

Time will change things.. I expect to get myself a LifeP04 pack this summer for my own use. Probably going to be from forsen usa.

:shock: $200????? INCULDING CHARGER, FREE DRILL AND BAG??? :shock:

DAMN! :D

Ypedal, watch out! Economies of scale may bring down price of these cells and make them competitive with LiFePO.

Ja...

The way I figure it, two 3Ah 24V Li-Ion batts will kick the crap outta the 12Ah 24V SLA bricks on my bike.

I went for a snow-ride a few days ago, SLAs died real fast.

And hey did I forget to mention LIFETIME warranty?

8)

I have not read the fine print yet.. but i expect the " Lifetime " to be only the DRILL and not the battery. ( I have a ridgid Table Saw.. it rules !! )

I want all my cells to be in the same pack.. and have full BMS for ballancing/charge etc...

Using the packs from power-tools is cool.. i like it .. but you have the bulk of the cases.. for 72v i'm looking at 3 packs then X AH needed.....

That's alot of drills without packs ! lol..

http://www.ridgid.com/THD/lsa.html

WHAT IS COVERED UNDER THE LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT:
The Lifetime Service Agreement on RIDGID® Hand Held Power Tools, Stationary Power Tools and Pneumatic Tools covers all worn parts in properly maintained tools, including normal wear items such as brushes, chucks, motors, switches, gears and even cordless batteries in your qualifying RIDGID®Brand hand held and stationary power tools; and replacement rings, driver blades and bumpers on RIDGID® Brand pneumatic tools for the lifetime of the original owner. This Lifetime Service Agreement does not apply to other RIDGID® Brand products.

:D :D

TylerDurden said:
http://www.ridgid.com/THD/lsa.html

WHAT IS COVERED UNDER THE LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT:
The Lifetime Service Agreement on RIDGID® Hand Held Power Tools, Stationary Power Tools and Pneumatic Tools covers all worn parts in properly maintained tools, including normal wear items such as brushes, chucks, motors, switches, gears and even cordless batteries in your qualifying RIDGID®Brand hand held and stationary power tools; and replacement rings, driver blades and bumpers on RIDGID® Brand pneumatic tools for the lifetime of the original owner. This Lifetime Service Agreement does not apply to other RIDGID® Brand products.

:D :D

You just know that if enough e-bikers used the batteries we would start seeing "no valid for e-bike use" put in there somewhere, LOL.

They could always sponsor riders/builders/developers...

They already brand radios and stuff like that too...

Me Sell-out???

For free EV stuff????

Uh.... ok...

Attachments

• IMG_2711Rigid.JPG
    IMG_2711Rigid.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 7,642
24V Li-Ion connectors:

Two on the drill, three on the battery pack.

This unit was the display item, they are on clearance to revise the product-group offerings (combo packs, etc.).

There is also a Li-Ion starter-pack for $199US (standard pricing), which includes a single 24V battery and a charger.

Attachments

• IMG_2738b.JPG
    IMG_2738b.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 4,873
I contacted Ridgid. Unlike Milwakee, Ridgid does not issue the connector-block to easily snap the batteries onto.

However, Ridgid is implementing a one-tool-many-batteries product line "max-select"...

This means the connector block from any charger (12,14.4,18,24v) will snap to a 24V Li-Ion battery. Chargers are fairly cheap on ebay.

It adds another hoop to jump through, but for a lifetime of free battery replacement, it's probably worth it.

:)

they sound good. when my sla's die (maybe 1 year?) i'll be looking at everything. if they come down to $50 a pack they will be hard to resist. i could use 2s2p for shopping, and 1 or 2 of my leftover sla for "limp home on bypass" if i misjudge range.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED
This Service Agreement applies only to the original registered owner and may not be transferred. This Service Agreement only covers wear and tear or failure of the tool arising under normal usage and proper maintenance. It does not cover any malfunction, failure or defect resulting from misuse, abuse, neglect, alteration, modification or repair by anyone other than an authorized service center for RIDGID® brand hand held, pneumatic and stationary power tools, any damage or malfunction inflicted upon the tool by the user or other external sources, or any failure to comply with the warnings and instructions in the operator’s manual.

"...alteration, modification" might get you into trouble. You would not technically be using the product "as sold" and therefore it would violate this clause. (if they ever found out what you were doing anyway)

I don't plan on modifying the batteries.

Therefore there is no way for them to determine how they are used. 8)

FWIW, Ridgid makes pretty good tools, so I will be buying more of those too.

Anybody wanna trade a saw for a drill??

:D

Let us know how the 6AH/24V combination beats good 12/12 bricks,
on voltage sag and such. I know the bricks don't last long...

Will these pups withstand high drain rates well? I expect so, but you are the prototype :eek: pilot.

tell more! thanks,

r.

I'm interested to see this as well. Lifetime warranty and already put into a "pack" that I'm sure if we were creative enough we could create some "connectors" to plug right in (for charger or to link them up for more power)

Let us know how the 6AH/24V combination beats good 12/12 bricks, on voltage sag and such. I know the bricks don't last long...

I sure hope so, my SLAs sag terribly.

I did find that Ridgid sells a connector/switch combination for the 18V flashlight; it may serve as a connector to the 24V packs. 3 bucks and change for those.

I'll keep you posted...

So if its guaranteed for life, how do you expect to get replacement batteries when new technology comes along and those get discontinued? :lol:

Back