Laser headlights on new Audi Quatro hybrid

Hillhater

100 TW
Sydney ..(Hilly part !) .. Australia/ Down under !
Nice, but i doubt the laser lamps make it more affordable !
Audi will use laser lights on its LeMans racer this year - and unveiled the technology on its new concept car, an experimental 700-horsepower V8 hybrid sports-coupe
http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/new-audi-headlights-to-use-laser-technology-as-well-as-led/story-fnkgdhrc-1226797181145
178342-a1614c96-77ef-11e3-ae56-4ce697eaa265.jpg

Automakers Eye Laser Lights To Let Drivers See Farther At Night

If you thought LED headlights were bright enough, automakers are looking ahead to even more powerful beams using lasers.

BMW has started producing laser headlights as an optional feature for its new plug-in i8 hybrid, which is expected to go on sale in Europe this summer. The lights are more energy-efficient, and some researchers say laser light technology is the next step in lighting after LEDs.

There's no word yet on a U.S. release, though the company is working with the U.S. Department of Transportation to get the technology approved.

The headlights don't actually shoot out lasers. A laser hits a fluorescent phosphorus substance inside the headlight to create a beam of extremely bright white light that is 10 times more intense than conventional sources, while boosting energy efficiency by 30 percent above LEDs, BMW says. Letting drivers see further at night makes it safer, says Thomas Hausmann, head of pre-development for lighting at BMW.

"It makes night a little bit more like day," he says.

Of course, brighter headlights may not be a good thing for an oncoming car, deer or other animals crossing the road. Hausmann points out the new headlights are controlled by a camera, so if there's a car coming, the lights will rotate and dim so the other driver isn't blinded. The car also has an infrared system to warn the driver of humans or pedestrians crossing the road.

p90143672_highres_custom-82aed6b72081d9b2e4bf3178a1a3842fdb011f83-s4-c85.jpg

Like with LED headlights, BMW will start introducing the laser headlights in larger, more expensive cars, and the technology will move to the other cars over time, says Thomas Plucinsky, manager of corporate communications for BMW North America. Plucinsky also says the energy savings matter.

"As we move towards more electrified cars, any energy that is being used to power a light has to come from somewhere," Plucinsky says. "It's either coming from the fossil fuel that you're burning or it's coming from the battery that you're carrying, like in an electric car."

Laser lights are "the next natural evolution in lighting," says Steve DenBaars, a professor and the co-director of the Solid State Lighting and Energy Center at the University of California, Santa Barbara. He explains that the lasers can be tightly focused, so the technology could be useful in even street lights or projectors.

"When you're making a presentation and you're trying to point a light on a screen, everybody uses a laser pointer. You can't use a flash light, because it's not a point light source and the light's diverging," DenBaars says. "[A laser light] puts a light exactly where you want it. You could imagine a bridge or a tunnel lit with laser lighting."

DenBaars says it might take five to 10 years before laser lights become widespread, though some other companies have already picked up on this technology. Audi will debut a prototype racer with laser lights in the U.K. in April, and it presented a hybrid concept car with laser lights earlier this year at the Consumer Electronics Show. LG has already started selling a 100-inch "laser TV," and Sony is expected to launch a laser projector this year.

Love to see that tech scaled down to motorcycle & ebike 8)
Most Illuminated, KF

I really dislike modern car lighting. The older warm colours didn't cause half the night blindness issue's these white lights do. Seeing them project there blinding cloak further does nothing for me. There is such a range of lighting on the road that it's now just a war of who has the most. The winner gets to not see cars coming as soon.

friendly1uk said:
I really dislike modern car lighting. The older warm colours didn't cause half the night blindness issue's these white lights do. Seeing them project there blinding cloak further does nothing for me. There is such a range of lighting on the road that it's now just a war of who has the most. The winner gets to not see cars coming as soon.

We're all becoming habitual jacklighters and night-blinded jacklightees. I really hate those blue lights. They are illegal on boats and should be on highway vehicles also. One blast of my trusty Shurefire M6 sends the message, especially to the nincompoops who drive around at night with their headlights off. :twisted:

That technology is few years old already.

They use the 445nm blue and very efficient laser diode to excite a yellow phosphorescent material that emit the balance color to get white.. just like white LED work.

If i remember correctly the new blue laser diode are more efficient than blue diode that make the while led.

I have my DIY blue laser pointer of 2.4W class IV now and i it can work on only the power of a single 18650 cell.

Doc

Before the lasers happen, camera optimized led matrix will be out in their high end cars soon:

http://www.adogo.us/audi-matrix-led-headlights-to-release-by-the-end-of-2013/

Cool excerpt:

Matrix LED technology brings awesome potential in various respects including the quantity of individual LEDs, their arrangement pattern, the design and size of headlights. Another safety feature of the Matrix LED technology is that when its marker lights finds pedestrians in the dangerous range, the individual LEDs flash at them quickly thrice in sequence to warn them.

[youtube]jHBbEcHW8PI[/youtube]

cal3thousand said:
Another safety feature of the Matrix LED technology is that when its marker lights finds pedestrians in the dangerous range, the individual LEDs flash at them quickly thrice in sequence to warn them.[/i]

What in the name of all that's holy is the point of that?! To further dazzle the pedestrian and make them think you're angry with them?

Be nice to see some sort of automatic dimming. Silly things like if the grill is illuminated by an oncoming car, then high beam won't engage. If it's bright in all directions, main lights dim a bit. Or just give these new cars a third level of luminance. Such as half light, so the driver is not forced to be a cock due to their boss forcing a bad vehicle upon them. Most of these vehicles just don't need the level of light fitted. I have seen little old people boxes that blinded me in the daytime ffs, It's ridiculous

friendly1uk said:
Be nice to see some sort of automatic dimming. Silly things like if the grill is illuminated by an oncoming car, then high beam won't engage. If it's bright in all directions, main lights dim a bit. Or just give these new cars a third level of luminance. Such as half light, so the driver is not forced to be a cock due to their boss forcing a bad vehicle upon them. Most of these vehicles just don't need the level of light fitted. I have seen little old people boxes that blinded me in the daytime ffs, It's ridiculous

These camera controlled matrix lights will dim parts of the beam as necessary. Did you notice in the video when the beam pattern quickly changed with the presence of an oncoming vehicle? Also the inclusion of FLIR makes it so things are identified MUCH more quickly.

Back