Today I am 10 !

oatnet

1 MW
I was thinking this was my 10th anniversary on E:S, but when I looked closer, I realized it was only my 9th. I probably thought that because started playing with BLDC wheel motors in 2006, but didn't join E:S until 2007, shortly after it started.

Thanks to everyone on E:S for the EV Grin and all I have learned from you, :D and thanks to Justin for footing the bill to preserve its ad-free existance. :D

Remember we are all here for the EV grin, and get there within the limits of what is possible in our own world, so celebrate each other's successes and don't bag on anyone else's ride. :mrgreen:

-JD

Happy Birthday!!

I can't believe I'm only 3. I thought I was 4. No wonder my lipo isn't aging yet :)

HB O (not HBO); enjoyed our "conversations". You might have learned a lot from ES, but you've given it back.

Thanks guys! :D

-JD

Wow, it has only been a decade.

-JD

Wow, has it been a whole year: Seems like a couple of weeks. Anyway HB!

Thanks 2old! Yeah, it seems like it was just last week that I bunji-tied an improbable amount of lead acid to the flimsy rear rack on a Huffy bike; that first bike only lasted a ride or two, but sparked an EV addiction that has spanned that decade.

:mrgreen:

Like this lol This was 2011 I think. I think a test with 60 v lead haha.

Attachments

• OLD BATT.JPG
    OLD BATT.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 2,542
Hi Fechter!
Hi Ypedal!

Yep, I don't miss lead acid at all. Or NiCD, or Nimh, or even those LifePO4 packs from 1997 - really crappy Chinese packs like Cheer Ocean, and Ypedal was it Falcon something or other we got early LIMn and LIFePO4 packs from? Yeah I don't miss my tidalforce bikes that were weighed down to 125lb with a couple of those falcon packs. Even Xyster's scary LiCo setup was heavy. Y today's standards. I am still riding my build from year before last, super light with small battery that I can pedal. :mrgreen:

I have only just started building electric bikes this year. I joined E:S earlier this month. I have built one bike that I use regularly and another that is a work in progress. I really like my E-bikes. As for battery technology, I have only used Li-ion on my builds.

Ypedal said:
The years, they blow by fast !!! 8)
Yeah! true!

Happy E-S birthday Oatnet!

Doctorbass said:
Ypedal said:
The years, they blow by fast !!! 8)
Yeah! true!

Happy E-S birthday Oatnet!

Thanks Doc!

Wow, all the 10+ year OG's are turning out. That reminds me - Happy belated 10-year to Doc, Ypedal, and Fechter! :D It was kind of funny. I haven't been around much in the past year, but came here to post about the amazing deals on Fiat 500e electric cars (I saw one sell for as little $4700), and suddenly realized it was my E:S birthday... :shock:

Those early days in '96/'97 were great - a few hundred people excited just to get an ebike going, no competition or trash-talking or false facts. Fechter blew our minds in '97 when he came up with instructions for replacing the crappy FETs on analog xlyte controllers, making them (finally) reliable, not to mention more powerful. That was the turning point between trying to build a bike that could climb a hill, and trying to keep the nose down. :lol:

Amazing what E:S has grown into. :D

Well actually.. going off the dates in the database, the forum is +/- 10 years old by a few months, so let's call 10 years a rounding error. Happy birthday anyway.

I find the longevity of this place to be pretty amazing myself. In the days of halfway decent commercial bikes and kits that don't require hacking... there's still a lot of amazing hacking going on here. I'll always be grateful for this place myself, and i ain't going anywhere either.

neptronix said:
I find the longevity of this place to be pretty amazing myself. In the days of halfway decent commercial bikes and kits that don't require hacking... there's still a lot of amazing hacking going on here. I'll always be grateful for this place myself, and i ain't going anywhere either.

+1 8)

Doc

Back