Uniti — Swedish EV Startup

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
Swedish student startup gets deal to build electric cars:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/wo...ts-deal-to-build-electric-cars-416194964.html

Includes:
Lewis Horne, the CEO of the startup, called Uniti Sweden, says the deal gives his company "the opportunity to not only develop a sustainable car, but also manufacture it in a sustainable way at a large scale."

Ola Janson of Siemens Industry Software said he was "really looking forward to having that partnership" between "Siemens as the very old, stable company, yet still innovative" and Uniti Sweden made up of "young people, innovative people, (who) don't have the legacy, don't have the limits like myself."

... and:
The twin-seat vehicles, called L7e, have 15kW engines with a maximum speed of 130 kilometres (81 miles) per hour. They weigh 400 kilograms (880 pounds) each and have a 150 kilometre (93 miles) range.

(Ed: Hard to pedal?)

About 25 yrs ago, another Sweedish company (Saab)' developed a car with single joystick control for steering, acceleration, speed, braking, reverse, etc...all on one mult-iaxis stick on the centre console. No steering wheel, no foot controls !
It was demonstrated widely, but never put into production as it was suggested that drivers would find it hard to adapt !
But just imagine,...no RH /LH drive conversions needed, no issue with steering wheel airbag safety.
....Bring it on !

This New Tiny Electric Car Comes With Five Years Of Free Solar Charging
("The Uniti is a small electric car designed for city driving–and its deal with a solar company makes charging it emissions and cost free."):
https://www.fastcompany.com/4050464...-comes-with-five-years-of-free-solar-charging

304b0055d2ceceb32d3191135c3c8621.jpg

Includes:
Though the new car comes in models with four and five seats, it also offers a model with only two seats, which will retail at prices starting around $17,000. (Smart Car also makes a small electric model, though it’s slightly more expensive) The frame, made from carbon fiber, is much lighter than a traditional metal frame. The battery is small, at 22 kilowatt-hours versus 100 kWh in some Tesla models, but can last around 186 miles, much farther than a typical round-trip commute. An additional battery, which can be plugged into a regular outlet at home or a cafe, can be added to the car on rarer occasions when it’s needed.

Well, if all the cars on the road had similar masses then maybe this would be OK. But with other cars being more massive and with a small vehicle going at speeds much faster than 25 mph, I see the small size a being a major problem in trading off cockpit integrity vs crumple zones. This is bad enough when colliding with objects of similar mass. But when the other object has lots more mass, I get really concerned. How do you dissipate the energy of the human bodies without crushing them too badly with those kinds of accelerations? Unless I'm missing something, I see this kind of vehicle as being appropriate for relatively slow speeds only. Certainly lots more protection than an e-bike. But it seems like it would be a lot less than for a conventional car.

wturber said:
Well, if all the cars on the road had similar masses then maybe this would be OK. But with other cars being more massive and with a small vehicle going at speeds much faster than 25 mph, I see the small size a being a major problem in trading off cockpit integrity vs crumple zones. This is bad enough when colliding with objects of similar mass. But when the other object has lots more mass, I get really concerned. How do you dissipate the energy of the human bodies without crushing them too badly with those kinds of accelerations? Unless I'm missing something, I see this kind of vehicle as being appropriate for relatively slow speeds only. Certainly lots more protection than an e-bike. But it seems like it would be a lot less than for a conventional car.

Its like a reverse arms race. Someone got to be the first to say now is the time to stop this crazyness. We can keep building and buying bigger and safer cars, but that is kind of like the cold war. The arm race continues. Sooner or later others have upgraded to even heavier cars yet, and what do you do then? Well you trade in and you trade up. Cos you got to keep safe, right? Soon we all be riding Ford 6500 trucks or even tractor trucks just to feel safe.

Be the change. And pray for the best. And hope others will follow. That is the only way.

macribs said:
Its like a reverse arms race. Someone got to the first to say now is the time to stop this crazyness.
Which is a reason (though far from the only one) I long ago chose to ride bikes, instead of buying into the car thing at all.

Soon we all be riding Ford 6500 trucks or even tractor trucks just to feel safe.
Though this is a reason I ride bikes & trikes that are a bit larger ;) than the usual, so I'll be too big to easily just run over without noticing. :lol:

macribs said:
wturber said:

Its like a reverse arms race. Someone got to be the first to say now is the time to stop this crazyness. We can keep building and buying bigger and safer cars, but that is kind of like the cold war. The arm race continues. Sooner or later others have upgraded to even heavier cars yet, and what do you do then? Well you trade in and you trade up. Cos you got to keep safe, right? Soon we all be riding Ford 6500 trucks or even tractor trucks just to feel safe.

Be the change. And pray for the best. And hope others will follow. That is the only way.
The issue is mostly speed. Car weight and size are secondary. And the "arms race" you describe is as much about comfort and convenience - perhaps more so - than it is about safety. That doesn't bode well for the small and less comfortable electric car.

I only have one life. I don't want to regularly drive at normal road speeds in a small light vehicle with an inadequate crumple zone. If I'm going deal with being cooped up in a car, it will need to have the necessary mass and crumple zone to give me a reasonable chance of surviving.

I'll ride an ebike and deal with the decreased safety because I enjoy that activity enough. I'll trade some risk of injury and death for a better quality of life. But I'm not going to trade that risk for some for some immeasurable public good.

In the end, the answer will be automated driving systems. That's "the way." But such systems probably won't be highly evolved in my lifetime. Though I hope they will be evolved enough by the time I'm in my 80s and am facing the inability to drive safely myself (assuming I live that long.)

ACK! ...
"The issue is mostly speed. Car weight and size are secondary."

"twin-seat vehicle"... So only one empty seat... much (empty) cargo space?

Already asked if hard to pedal (see "warmth". And "exercise". Also to shave off peak battery outputs at starts and uphills, etc.)

And "weight"... see the amount of energy to accelerate... and the amount of stored kinetic energy of any moving object.

At the least, it's shape fairly aerodynamic... at least.

"a two-seater weighing about 400 kg (~880 lb)"... Sounds like hard to lug up a few steps.

I'm at least satisfied it'll do lots of property damage, and injure and kill in the thousands, but in a more "Eco-Friendly" way. Good stuff!

(Can't find any mention re the number of drink holders. Still looking...)

Back