Aluminium fork with Bafang (8fun) 36V 250W

havnen

1 µW
Greetings,

I am considering converting this bike (aluminum) to an electric bike. My main commute is shorter rides (20-30 minutes on a regular bike) mainly within the city.

The parts I have is a 8FUN (Bafang) 36V 250W.

My questions are as follows:

1) Do you think this bike would make a good candidate for a conversion?
UVQoXdY.jpg

2) Will the aluminium fork be able to withstand the strain and torque from the 250w motor - if I get a torque arm on the wheel? I weigh around 180 pounds / 80 kilos.
3) If not, is it possible to attach a steel fork, ive heard they will rust to the aluminum frame (that steel/alu is a bad combo)
4) Is the 250w enough for my needs? Mainly acceleration and speed assist

Thanks

Those are probably steel forks; stick a magnet on them to test.

I'd use torque arms even with steel just because axles dont' always fit dropouts perfectly, and when they don't, stuff rocks back and forth under some conditions, and eventually could cause the nuts/etc to come loose. Even just vibration from road surfaces can do that if the nuts aren't tight enough. If that happens you can have the wheel fall out, and in the front that's usually bad. ;)

The torque arms could act as retainers even if the hardware came loose, and if they fit the axle right they will prevent the rocking / loosening in the first place.

As to whether it meets your needs, we would need to know exactly what your needs are (terrain, weather, speed desired, range desired, how much pedalling, stop/start traffic or continuous, etc; see the sticky thread by wesnewell on how to ask the right questions to get the right help and put the answers here), and then the exact details of the stuff you have (battery, controller, etc).

The motor itself would probalby work fine as an assist to your pedalling; cant' know aobut the rest until we know what you have.

Back