Cortana

arkmundi

10 MW
Microsoft sets the stage for Cortana-powered smart devices - Microsoft's first moves won't be in the home, it appears, but in the car.
At long last, Microsoft has set a public target of bringing consumer devices—that aren’t PCs—to market in 2017 with its personal digital assistant, Cortana, inside of them.

On Tuesday, Microsoft announced a way to challenge Amazon’s Alexa-powered Dot and Echo devices, as well as Google’s Google Home. Microsoft’s New Devices SDK will allow to power a new line of connected-car speakers from Harmon Kardon in 2017, executives said, with presumably more partnerships to come...

...The goal, Shum said, is to “democratize AI,” where Microsoft will bring intelligence to as many apps as it can.
Just gotta wonder. :mrgreen:

Now if only Cortana were actually even a tiny bit intelligent, and did something I wanted instead of screwing up things I'm trying to do, even those not involving it that it thinks it needs to come help with. (Most of my dogs have been more helpful :lol:).

I had to hack Cortana out to even use Win10....

I stopped using Microsoft products decades ago, in favour of using Linux and Open-Source. Use Ubuntu for my desktop. But the point is that all the major software houses are gearing up their product set for the next large-scale venture into the consumer marketplace, and that's the smart-car. I think that Google and Apple are ahead in this arena. Self-driving cars and smart-cars will converge - by "smart" is meant driven by AI, a step beyond the utility of self-driving. You can't discount Microsoft yet - Cortana is in its early phase. It'll improve. Microsoft has a massive revenue stream, used in part to steal key personnel from Google, Apple and others. In this game, its always been the people.

The day will come when I tell my home that I want such & such. Who will then tell Amazon what I want, who will then tell my car when its ready for pickup. Unattended, the car will go to the nearest Amazon store, which will place the item(s) in the boot and bring them back. I may then send my personal assistant robot out to get them, or go myself so as to exercise my near dormant body a bit. Hehe...

Back