Modify or Replace Controller for more Speed

smccarthy945

1 µW
I recently bought an URB-E electric scooter that does a max speed of 15MPH. Where I live, they allow up to 20MPH and want to make it go 20MPH. The vendor says they restrict the scooter to a top speed of 15MPH via the controller and the motor is capable of going faster. They told me in the store that in theory if you modified or replaced the controller, it could go faster. The controller in the scooter is a generic chinese controller which I have shown in the attached picture. The model number is KT36WS-TG02D.

Below are the specs listed on the controller:
Model: KT36WS-TG02D
Voltage: DC36V
Current: 7A
V Protection: DC30(+/-)0.5V
Max Current: 15(+/-)1A
Speed Set: 1-4.2V
Brake Input: Low-Level

Please note the model in the picture is not exact to the model listed on the post but the specs are the same. I think the difference in model # are just the cable connection types. If you open it, it's just a circuit board with a few capacitors and a chip.

So my question is --> Can I replace this controller with another one that will give me a faster top speed? I don't think I have the experience to modify it as I don't know much about circuit boards. I have compared the wiring to other controllers and it's pretty standard connections - nothing out of the ordinary.

Thank you in advance for reading this post and helping me out. Adding an extra 5MPH will make a huge difference in my day to day commute. Long story short, I depend on this scooter to get to work a good distance and adding 5MPH will really help me out.

Thanks!

Scott

This is a picture of the controller:
https://cdn.sondorsforum.com/uploads/monthly_2016_03/image.jpeg.5089bae94e4e206423ff9b4cd2d763b1.jpeg

36V 10A controllers are cheap, so find one on ebay that does 36V and 25A
Sunwin has decent controllers
Search it here on Endless Sphere

Have you got an LCD display? Some KT controllers can be reprogrammed through that.
Sometimes controllers are speed limited through two wires joined together ( where all the wires exit) could be undoing these takes off the speed limit. Or vice-versa
Well if you have to buy a new one don't settle for 5mph- think big!!
But you might be voltage limited which is a lot of extra work to change...

Be careful as your battery may not handle extra power...

To increase the power, add some copper wire to the shunts.. Search here for how people have done it

Back