All you riders rocking MXUS 3kw or similar motors, gears?

markz

100 TW
I'm replacing my gearset. I started another thread on which component line to use.

When you are riding the MXUS 3kw (or similar) what gears are you running front and rear?

Looking at the 48, ##, 26 vs 44, ##, 22 vs 42, ##, 22. I am thinking I dont need a high tooth on biggest gear, so a 44 or 42 then replace the 22 with a 20 for hill climbing to help the motor out. My theory is when cruising at speed no need to pedal, but stop and go the motor would need help with wh/distance.

What are people using for the rear gears?
I used a random freewheel on mine, I think it was 16T, but I was lazy and never pedaled.

It depends solely on what speeds you intend to pedal at.

If you are not pedalling to help the motor, it doesn't matter.

If you are pedalling even at the highest speeds, you have to have gears to match that. There's a number of gearing calculators on the web that google finds easy enough, if you aren't sure how to figure it out. They all do the same basic thing, so it doesn't really matter which one you use.

If you only pedal at lower speeds for hill climbing assistance, then just gear for that.

Either way, the chains and sprockets last longer if you use the largest sizes you can on front and rear, to get the same gear. Ther'es also less chain slip issues under high loads.

So if for hill climbing you would normally use a smaller sprocket in back and the smallest one in front, use the middle one in front and a larger one in back to give it the same speed.

I have a bike I ride a bit like that. A crystalyte 5305 on the rear, so on 48v I get about 25 mph out of it. On wicked dirt roads though,, its just enough of a challenge to stay on the bike and not crash, without throwing my balance off pedaling. If the road gets straight and easy,, I can use the rest while it lasts.

So anyway, I pretty much just stand on the pedals on that bike. I run it at 2000w, so mostly it has plenty of power. It needs no help on the starts usually, unless i'm stopped on a steep hill. So when I do need to pedal, I need a lower gear. I'm not really sure which gear exactly I keep it in,, but I leave the bike in the middle gear. Middle ring up front, one of the middle gears in back. This is a gear to pedal about 15 mph up a hill, if the motor needs help on a really wicked grade.

Riding on street to the dirt, I'll use my highest gear, 44-14, and pedal to help save the juice for the dirt ride. This is about a 20 mph cruise. Then when the bike leaves the paved, I shift back to the middle gears so when I need to pedal, I'll be in the right gear.

No way I need the lowest gear on that bike, If I do encounter a short hill that steep, I get off and walk up it, using the motor to push just the bikes weight. Only the power line roads have grades that steep around here. If I go to the national forest though, those mule trails will kill a hub motor. Too steep all the way.

Back