Go kart build: motor shaft types, chain and sprockets

zooz

10 W
Hello,

I am starting a new EV project, which is to build a rather powerful go kart. I have started looking for a 20kW+ BLDC motor, I am leaning towards Revolt RV-160pro.

However, I need your help to determine what sort of motor shaft type I should go for? Revolt can make a custom motor shaft to fit a sprocket on the motor. What would be a good motor shaft mount choice given it's a go kart and I would have to find an appropriate chain and rear sprocket too.

There are so many motor shaft "standards" and different sprockets, that I am basically lost and need your advice.

Thanks in advance.

If you intend to use conventional Kart sprockets and chain its known as "219" chain.
the most common motor shaft on recreational karts is a parallel 19mm dia shaft with a keyway.
ICE karts generally integrate the motor sprocket into a clutch assy also so you may have to look for options.
A place to start.. http://www.kartstore.co.uk/shop.cfm?cat=1646&node=156
Race karts tend to us custon taper fit motor sprockets specific to the motor manufacturer...but dont go there !

You definitely need to use #219 chain and sprockets. PM Lightning Rods, he has everything you need. 12mm shafts and sprocket adapters, plus 15mm shafts and adapters.

Thanks. Simple is best. I'll go with 19mm shaft with a keyway, I believe they are 3/16" (4.76mm) keyways.

Given the above, there are rear sprocket matches for different chains, so that won't be a problem.

Back