Electric Go Kart

ccarse

1 µW
Hi, I'm new to diy electric vehicles but do have a Chevy Volt that I've put 90k miles on. I am wanting to convert a go kart I picked up for cheap that had a bad motor. I'm trying to decide on a motor/controller. I'd like to keep the price under $200 for motor/controller if possible. Right now I'm thinking something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1800W-48V-Brushless-Electric-Motor-and-Controller-for-ATV-Go-Kart-Scooter-Parts-/132097846668?hash=item1ec1a52d8c:g:4GwAAOSwax5YpRsF Is this reasonable? Are there better options?

I don't really care if the go kart goes very fast it's mainly for my kids to put around the yard.

Thanks for your help, I'm a little overwhelmed with all of the information I've been reading, and it's a little hard to find information on converting vehicles that aren't bikes or cars.

Yes, that motor and controller looks like it would work.

The battery is the important part, so be prepared to spend good money if you want range and reliability.

Thanks for the help. I'll probably go with that motor/controller. One other question I have is do I need a "freewheel" on the motor sprocket?

As for battery, I'm thinking lithium. For 48v I need a 24s pack right? Who makes 24s balance chargers?

ccarse said:
As for battery, I'm thinking lithium. For 48v I need a 24s pack right? Who makes 24s balance chargers?
24 s ?? ..NO
depending on which lithium chemistry you choose, 48 volt is either 14s , or 16 s ( LiFePO4 )
14s balance chargers exist, but spendy.
normally folk use a "bulk" 48 v charger and a BMS to balance the cells.

Back