Preowned Model S at EXTREMELY low cost

recumpence

1 GW
On Earth right now. That can change at any time, t
Hey Guys,

Go to the Tesla Preowned page and check out the current cost of these cars. They have gone WAY down lately. There are a few under $40k. Heck, I am looking at a P85 for $43k! I have a Model 3 on order. But, I may pick up a used P85 instead. Very tempting!

Matt

Warren said:
A used car for more than twice what I have ever paid for a new car is not extremely low cost by any rational definition.

When you consider that 35% of new cost for a CPO car with factory backing and full warrantee, yes it IS very low cost.

Matt

If you plan on keeping the car a while the best one to get is the 85D. The first gen RWD drivetrain (P or not) has issues. The 90/100/late70/late75 packs have cells sprinkled with silicon that seem to be degrading faster than they should be if you supercharge often so they are tapering the charge very conservatively now

The 85D is almost as fast as a P85 and has the superior smaller motors. Save up a little more for a nice used 85D with autopilot is my rec (pre silicon anode)

flathill said:
If you plan on keeping the car a while the best one to get is the 85D. The first gen RWD drivetrain (P or not) has issues. The 90/100/late70/late75 packs have cells sprinkled with silicon that seem to be degrading faster than they should be if you supercharge often so they are tapering the charge very conservatively now

The 85D is almost as fast as a P85 and has the superior smaller motors. Save up a little more for a nice used 85D with autopilot is my rec (pre silicon anode)

Actually a P85 is 4.2 seconds 0-60 while a 85D is 5.2 seconds. The drive units on CPO cars are warranted 8 years unlimited miles.

I agree that later cars have better technology, though. However, the dual motor cars are $25k more than the single motor cars (used).

Matt

The 85D 0-60 is official 4.4s after a firmware update, but a few 85D's have hit 3.9

see
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/official-85d-now-get-44-sec-060-mph-accelaration

lowest cost 85D (as of June 7)
https://www.tesla.com/preowned/5YJSA1H28FFP75190?redirect=no2015
20,279 miles P75190
$64,800
CPO cars which receive the remaining battery and drive warranty and a four year, 50,000 miles pre-owned limited warranty

lowest cost P85
https://www.tesla.com/preowned/5YJSA1DP2CFP01972?redirect=no
2012 43,176 miles P01972
$43,500
CPO cars which receive the remaining battery and drive warranty and a two year, 100,000 miles maximum odometer pre-owned limited warranty

The 2012 car drivetrain warranty will run out in 2020. This is why they are unloading them for so cheap. If you do a fairer comparison yes the P85 is much cheaper but I'm telling you even cars that have their drivetrain already replaced are still a ticking time bomb. Only a matter of time before you have bearing issues. also factor in the cost of rear tires with RWD only regen

You know, whilst possibly those prices may be atractive to us impoverished EV enthusiasts, they would scare the hell out of me if i were considering buying new !
Without looking in detail at the specs, i doubt many buyers spent under $100k when new , and possibly much more.
So , unlike buying Tesla shares, their products really are a bad investment !
(But i wouldnt touch the shares either !)

actually the depreciation is much less than similar BMW's and Merc's

very strong used car market. A shit ton of <40k teslas sold out in 1 day. Now they added a few more

Tesla is very smart with their CPO's....it costs them nothing to enable autopilot, ludicrous mode, and bump the pack capacity, etc...just thru software when they buy a trade-in and resell as CPO. Free money basically

Warren said:
A used car for more than twice what I have ever paid for a new car is not extremely low cost by any rational definition.

You've never had a car like this. :wink:

flathill said:
actually the depreciation is much less than similar BMW's and Merc's

very strong used car market. A shit ton of <40k teslas sold out in 1 day. Now they added a few more

Tesla is very smart with their CPO's....it costs them nothing to enable autopilot, ludicrous mode, and bump the pack capacity, etc...just thru software when they buy a trade-in and resell as CPO. Free money basically
You are comparing the depreciation of expensive European imports , with a (supposedly short supply) Local build ??
And now you point it out, those Tesla prices are "resale" numbers, with Teslas " free money" margin added, not what the first owners were given against as trade in value ?
So those <40k resale cars were possibly traded in at nearer $30k ? :shock:
Has anyone actually had first hand experience with a Tesla trade in ?

recumpence said:
Warren said:
"You've never had a car like this."

Yup. I have never owned an assault rifle either.

Meaning what?

I have never had pink socks with purple poka-dots. What does that have to do with anything?

It has as much relavence as...... "You've never had a car like this." .. Or,.. "My dog has fleas" ! Etc etc

Hey warren, did you forget that the Model S accelerates faster than a sports car? Believe it or not, Ferrari buyers aren't looking for used geo metro prices. :D

My point was that two ton cars, that accelerate faster than people can think, are as dangerous, and pointless as assault rifles, in public. Many of the machines men build are simply expensive ways of trying to prove their reproductive fitness to equally stupid women.

Warren said:
My point was that two ton cars, that accelerate faster than people can think, are as dangerous, and pointless as assault rifles, in public. Many of the machines men build are simply expensive ways of trying to prove their reproductive fitness to equally stupid women.

Just a little ray of sunshine aren't you?

I thought guys like acceleration because it's fun. The fact that girls also like acceleration (Many girls like roller coasters, right?), tells me it has little to do with gonads.

Now, I'm sure some might think of Teslas as status symbols. But, I get the sense the average status symbol seeker isn't eyeing Tesla's for solely status reasons. There are other cheaper cars that arguably confer more status.

What's wrong with status, anyhow? You jelly they get the girls and you don't? :p

(Arguably, status really is a self-concept, but some men do have a 'better' self-concept when in possession of status symbols. I know I was feeling like a masculine man having revved that V8 on the mustang as much as I wanted to deny it! LOL. Women are really no different. I'd say that's especially true of many women.)

It was a great deal, as obviously all those inexpensive cars are now gone. You could have actually flipped them and made money. I do think there is still a huge amount of value in those first models. The ICE cars I have owned in the past all got traded in or sold for one reason, mechanical issues, where the cars were now worth less than the cost of repair. However the interior and exterior of the cars has usually been flawless. I find it irresponsible that we trash these old cars, because the engine needs to be rebuilt or the transmission goes bad. With the Tesla cars, we either will get battery failure or drive unit issues. The bearing problem has been fixed and although I don't know the actual cost, it is covered under the 8 yr warranty. As it was a simple bearing replacement, I would imagine the cost to be fairly minimal. Same with the battery being covered under warranty. You should not have any other significant issues with the vehicle. Much less than a comparable mileage ICE, where you have to worry about belts, coolant system, engine, spark plugs, exhaust, oil pump, fuel pump and the other 4,000 moving parts. As a whole the Telsa will end up with much less maintenance then a similar high end used vehicle. Add in the gas savings and you are well ahead. I looked at buying a used Porsche Panamera, which would cost thousands in oil changes alone. Not to mention they are prone to having one fuel pump go out, in an engine that has two, burning up one side of the engine.
It will be interesting to see the mileage some of these Teslas will produce before real issues develop. Hopefully if the batteries do become an issue, Tesla will offer newer packs with better, less expensive tech. I've read the Chevy Bolt battery MSRP is around $13k. Install costs should not be too much. Don't know how that would be compared to an 85kw Tesla pack. I read an article about the Motor Trend? or Car and Driver Tesla car. They seemed to have issues with sunroof leaking, front seats not being bolted down and battery losing charge capacity. After reading what they had done to the vehicle, the battery issues were completely their fault. They had driven it multiple times to zero capacity. Super charged it almost exclusively. Left it out in the Michigan cold with no charge overnight. If I remember correctly it had 70% to 80% capacity after all that.
As a commuter I still think 120 miles of range is plenty for 95% of us. You'd likely have to charge every night, but we do that with our phones and don't complain much about it. Still beats the heck out of having to go to a gas station to fill up before or after work. Always seems that you need gas when you are running late. I also end up stopping and getting an unnecessary drink and donut while there. I've lost weight having a Tesla. I only charge my 85kw every four or so days depending on things. I really would never want to go back to an ICE. I now hate driving my wife's car. I hate having to turn the car on and off, hate having to move my foot to brake instead of using regen (so lazy!), hate not having internet radio, hate having to hit the garage door button when coming and going, hate hearing the car downshift when accelerating and the lag. Even my turbo 911 didn't feel as quick as this car.

swbluto said:
I thought guys like acceleration because it's fun. The fact that girls also like acceleration (Many girls like roller coasters, right?), tells me it has little to do with gonads.

Now, I'm sure some might think of Teslas as status symbols. But, I get the sense the average status symbol seeker isn't eyeing Tesla's for solely status reasons. There are other cheaper cars that arguably confer more status.

What's wrong with status, anyhow? You jelly they get the girls and you don't? :p

(Arguably, status really is a self-concept, but some men do have a 'better' self-concept when in possession of status symbols. I know I was feeling like a masculine man having revved that V8 on the mustang as much as I wanted to deny it! LOL. Women are really no different. I'd say that's especially true of many women.)

Currently all electric cars depreciate faster than ICE vehicles. If you want to buy one, do it. I own two of them. Not to get too off topic here, but where are all these women who you think are into acceleration and muscle cars? That's you projecting what you like onto women. Know any women who subscribe to Hot Rod Magazine? Me neither. Women don't give shit about fast cars, they care about money. Typically very wealthy men have nice cars, thats what they like.

You, yes you, have the most attractive woman you can afford, right now (as does every man reading this). If you won the Powerball tomorrow you could upgrade to something in its late teens or early 20s. Don't believe me? Ask any woman if shed rather be with a guy who is strapped trying to make a $50k Tesla payment, or a guy who makes payments on that same car but $50k represents less than 10% of his overall net worth.

Since I used to work in the automotive aftermarket I can tell you first hand that 4 of the top 5 fastest street racers I know, have breathing mountains for wives/girlfriends.

Back