BMW E "i5" conversion by Matija

General Discussion about electric vehicles.
Post Reply
mfox
10 mW
10 mW
Posts: 25
Joined: Nov 04, 2015 3:29 am

BMW E "i5" conversion by Matija

Post by mfox » Jul 12, 2017 9:51 am

Hello,

I'm starting a new project. One month ago I bought this car. I've been wanting to do an BMW series 5 e39 conversion for several years now. I was giving up of this car because they are almost in very bad condition because of rust and they are not good care . I was looking for cupe e46 or e46 sedan , but they are not so good quality and suspension ar also weak. They are also expencive.
Last week I found perfect car for my conversion . It is BMW 520i e39 97 year. It is in very good condition , no rust at all . Inside is almost new. It has some parts to be replaced but nothing serious. He has roof window, wich was priority and collor is also that I like. Two months ago I bought Tesla battery from S 85 , 9 modules . That's 47kwh power.
I have some experience in car conversion. Two years ago I converted an old Opel Kadett.
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...ja-167650.html
And it very good and reliable conversion, Now it has about 19000 km and still going with no problems .

I was looking for powertrain... These days it is working on hacking Tesla drive train, nissan leaf drive train. But they are working on 400 V and I'm scare to play with this high voltage. Don't know if this will working reliable...
For instance if I took Tesladrivetrain , I'll put it on the car gearbox with cluch. There is no room on the car for complete tesla motor+inverter+diferential on the car because of car rear axle carrier...

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

mfox
10 mW
10 mW
Posts: 25
Joined: Nov 04, 2015 3:29 am

Re: BMW E "i5" conversion by Matija

Post by mfox » Jul 12, 2017 9:58 am

Some stuff on car didnt work. Like rear window, front door didnt want to lock it . I replaced both modules on front doors , now is all working . In the meentime , I bought black cotton seats and door panels so the car is going to black. Instead leather in very bad condition. I cleaned the sats and now are like new.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

mfox
10 mW
10 mW
Posts: 25
Joined: Nov 04, 2015 3:29 am

Re: BMW E "i5" conversion by Matija

Post by mfox » Jul 12, 2017 10:01 am

Today I bought warp 11 electric motor . I wanted some AC from salvaged Leaf or Tesla , but nothing works reliable by now. And it is difficullt to get >400V from 9 tesla modules. So I decided to oldsystem powertrain.

Image

User avatar
jonescg
1 GW
1 GW
Posts: 3335
Joined: Aug 07, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: BMW E "i5" conversion by Matija

Post by jonescg » Jul 13, 2017 1:54 am

Awesome! Looking forward to how this comes along. The DC motor is a cheap source of power, but not as nice as an AC powertrain.

Also, the Mods may choose to put this in the large EV section. No worries, I'll follow it all the same :)

Any chance you could measure a few things on the tesla Module for me? I'm curious as to what the cooling loop diameter is. It looks to be thin, flat aluminium tube, but I haven't seen any high res images of them up close.

Chris

User avatar
kiwiev
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1008
Joined: Mar 22, 2015 4:19 am
Location: Jindabyne NSW Australia
Contact:

Re: BMW E "i5" conversion by Matija

Post by kiwiev » Jul 14, 2017 7:23 am

jonescg wrote:Awesome! Looking forward to how this comes along. The DC motor is a cheap source of power, but not as nice as an AC powertrain.

Also, the Mods may choose to put this in the large EV section. No worries, I'll follow it all the same :)

Any chance you could measure a few things on the tesla Module for me? I'm curious as to what the cooling loop diameter is. It looks to be thin, flat aluminium tube, but I haven't seen any high res images of them up close.

Chris
Dont ask for too many amps from those modules unless you parallel a few mate.
Also what do you want to know is it the cooling you diameter? Have a source for packs in Australia.

We are doing a Tesla hack 420kw hack for a client atm.

Cheers Kiwi

mfox
10 mW
10 mW
Posts: 25
Joined: Nov 04, 2015 3:29 am

Re: BMW E "i5" conversion by Matija

Post by mfox » Jul 17, 2017 4:09 pm

jonescg wrote:Awesome! Looking forward to how this comes along. The DC motor is a cheap source of power, but not as nice as an AC powertrain.

Also, the Mods may choose to put this in the large EV section. No worries, I'll follow it all the same :)

Any chance you could measure a few things on the tesla Module for me? I'm curious as to what the cooling loop diameter is. It looks to be thin, flat aluminium tube, but I haven't seen any high res images of them up close.

Chris
Tnx for support :) ,
outer diameter of cooling pipe is 8mm and flat aluminium tube has dimension about 31.8x3.7mm and it goes in 8 rows in module .

mfox
10 mW
10 mW
Posts: 25
Joined: Nov 04, 2015 3:29 am

Re: BMW E "i5" conversion by Matija

Post by mfox » Jul 17, 2017 4:14 pm

kiwiev wrote:
Dont ask for too many amps from those modules unless you parallel a few mate.
Also what do you want to know is it the cooling you diameter? Have a source for packs in Australia.

We are doing a Tesla hack 420kw hack for a client atm.

Cheers Kiwi
what is too many ? 700 amp shortly i think it wont be a problem. Those battery are strong , if are they good for Tesla, then are they also good for me :) , Of course I need to put good BMS, cooling and heating .
I wont race this car on the track, I will drive it normaly.

User avatar
jonescg
1 GW
1 GW
Posts: 3335
Joined: Aug 07, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: BMW E "i5" conversion by Matija

Post by jonescg » Jul 20, 2017 2:28 am

mfox wrote: outer diameter of cooling pipe is 8mm and flat aluminium tube has dimension about 31.8x3.7mm and it goes in 8 rows in module .
Ah, and I believe the P100D models manage to fit more cells in the same space by reducing the thickness of the cooling tube to ~3 mm, and increasing it's height to about ~50 mm for added cooling power.

I am very curious about the material stuffed between the aluminium tube and the cells. It's needed for galvanic isolation, otherwise the cells will be shorting against the loop. It must reduce it's cooling power though.

We have ordered a module from ebay, but won't be here in Oz for a long time. We have to do our research from Google in the meantime ;)

Rube
100 W
100 W
Posts: 167
Joined: Jun 25, 2016 10:18 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: BMW E "i5" conversion by Matija

Post by Rube » Jul 20, 2017 4:48 am

Great project, I'll be following with interest. The e39 is a nice car to drive and 'll be interested to hear your thoughts on how it drives after the conversion. Good luck :D

mfox
10 mW
10 mW
Posts: 25
Joined: Nov 04, 2015 3:29 am

Re: BMW E "i5" conversion by Matija

Post by mfox » Jul 30, 2017 3:07 am

jonescg wrote:
mfox wrote: outer diameter of cooling pipe is 8mm and flat aluminium tube has dimension about 31.8x3.7mm and it goes in 8 rows in module .
Ah, and I believe the P100D models manage to fit more cells in the same space by reducing the thickness of the cooling tube to ~3 mm, and increasing it's height to about ~50 mm for added cooling power.

I am very curious about the material stuffed between the aluminium tube and the cells. It's needed for galvanic isolation, otherwise the cells will be shorting against the loop. It must reduce it's cooling power though.

We have ordered a module from ebay, but won't be here in Oz for a long time. We have to do our research from Google in the meantime ;)
Isolation between cells and tube is with some gume that transfer heat

mfox
10 mW
10 mW
Posts: 25
Joined: Nov 04, 2015 3:29 am

Re: BMW E "i5" conversion by Matija

Post by mfox » Jul 30, 2017 3:09 am

Rube wrote:Great project, I'll be following with interest. The e39 is a nice car to drive and 'll be interested to hear your thoughts on how it drives after the conversion. Good luck :D
Yes , Is a nice car and i it seems better quality than e60, and more reliable. I had e60 so I know , I sold him .

mfox
10 mW
10 mW
Posts: 25
Joined: Nov 04, 2015 3:29 am

Re: BMW E "i5" conversion by Matija

Post by mfox » Aug 02, 2017 5:22 am

First I wanted to put warp 11 on direct drive. But I change my mine and I will put it on the gearbox. I think motor will last longer and starts won't be with high Amperage. And it is safer with clutch. Car will be about 1.6-1.7 t .
I'm not sure about that , so I want to hear your opinion. I didn't find controller yet.
TNX

User avatar
kiwiev
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1008
Joined: Mar 22, 2015 4:19 am
Location: Jindabyne NSW Australia
Contact:

Re: BMW E "i5" conversion by Matija

Post by kiwiev » Aug 03, 2017 3:38 am

mfox wrote:First I wanted to put warp 11 on direct drive. But I change my mine and I will put it on the gearbox. I think motor will last longer and starts won't be with high Amperage. And it is safer with clutch. Car will be about 1.6-1.7 t .
I'm not sure about that , so I want to hear your opinion. I didn't find controller yet.
TNX
Should be OK we did a Hilux with gearbox and Warp 9 thats about 1500 kg it goes OK.

Dont forget DC motors dont like to sit at hills using the throttle to stop them rolling back.

Cheers Kiwi

cheapcookie
10 W
10 W
Posts: 75
Joined: Aug 02, 2014 10:34 pm
Location: france

Re: BMW E "i5" conversion by Matija

Post by cheapcookie » Aug 03, 2017 3:57 pm

good luck with bmw project

Hillhater
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 8329
Joined: Aug 03, 2010 10:33 pm
Location: Sydney ..(Hilly part !) .. Australia/ Down under !

Re: BMW E "i5" conversion by Matija

Post by Hillhater » Aug 03, 2017 9:49 pm

jonescg wrote:
Ah, and I believe the P100D models manage to fit more cells in the same space by reducing the thickness of the cooling tube to ~3 mm, and increasing it's height to about ~50 mm for added cooling power.
.....We have ordered a module from ebay, but won't be here in Oz for a long time. We have to do our research from Google in the meantime ;)
jonescg ....have you seen this...
http://skie.net/skynet/projects/tesla/v ... ttery+Pack
This forum owes its existence to Justin of ebikes.ca

User avatar
jonescg
1 GW
1 GW
Posts: 3335
Joined: Aug 07, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: BMW E "i5" conversion by Matija

Post by jonescg » Aug 03, 2017 10:09 pm

Yeah, and I eventually found a cooling equipment manufacturer who makes these:
http://www.kaweller.com/battery-cooling ... old-plate/
Scroll down and you will find something which looks very similar... :)

mfox
10 mW
10 mW
Posts: 25
Joined: Nov 04, 2015 3:29 am

Re: BMW E "i5" conversion by Matija

Post by mfox » Sep 06, 2017 4:06 pm

I purchase another gearbox from 2.8 engine with only 120 000 km , I bought electrical stering pump and get some visual accessories , M sterring wheel . It wont past on PFL models but with some adaptation will fit :)

Image

Image

Image

mfox
10 mW
10 mW
Posts: 25
Joined: Nov 04, 2015 3:29 am

Re: BMW E "i5" conversion by Matija

Post by mfox » Sep 24, 2017 3:54 pm

The wheel is mounted :)

Now is this a different car :)

I was needing to do some adaptation because wheel is from FL and my car is PFL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP1yynVGRZw&t=3s

Image

New controller has arrive :D

Z1k HV will fit perfectly :)

Image

Post Reply