Help to Increase Speed-500 Watt Electric Scooter/Moped.

frame

1 µW
Hi,
I own a Gio Electric Scooter with 500 Watt brushless motor. Some other specs are:

Transmission Auto
Engine Type 500w, Brushless, Electric
Min/Max. torque 32-55 Nm
Starting System Electric Start
Battery Capacity 48V/12AH
Max Speed 22-32Km/H (13.6-19.8mph), double speeds

I like it but it is absurdly slow and lacking in power. I would very much like to increase power...especially for climbing hills. I understand I can modify the scooter for greater power and speed. Do I do this with a new controller? Batteries? Motor?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

1.1.jpg

You might be able to do a few things. A shunt inside the controller is often modified to increase the amp limit. This usually leads to better performance on hills. Some controllers can be able to handle 12 more volts, but often controllers are made to be used in the 36-48v range, so it might go poof if you try more volts on a 48v controller. Opening the controller and looking at the capacitors can give you some clues. If the can like things inside are labeled 63v, then it won't take more volts from a 5th battery.

So in general, the best way is to replace the controller with a higher voltage one, and add a 5th battery. One of the problems with performance with scooter type bikes is they are a bit heavy. So bicycles with similar motors perform much better. Another option that will help, would be replacing sla batteries with lifepo4. The weight will really decrease, and there will be a lot less voltage sag, so the ride performance will be more like the first mile on sla's.

But there is no magic wand that makes a 500 watt motor perform like a 2000 watt motor, so real performance increases are only going to come with a bigger bike. It is what it is, a moped, and it will never become a motorcycle. I don't know what type of increase you are looking for, but a 5 mph increase in speed should be possible with more voltage. With scooters, replacing the controller can be a pain though, since on some , all kinds of wiring goes through them for everything on the bike. Hill performance gets better with the shunt mod, so I'd be temped to try that first if it was my bike.

Frame......I have the same e-bike as the picture that was posted. I have learned one thing involving the governer of this particular model (PB-710). There are 2 blue wires coming out of the computer (located under the seat storage(which muct be removed to see the computer)) that when connected they limit the speed, but when they are disconnected (which is how my bike came) they allow the bike to reach upto 30KPH on level ground. If yours is already going at that speed, then they are already disconnected. Another way to tell if they are disconnected is if the green button on the right hand side of the handlebar does something.

If yours was already going 30 KPH and you were able to make it faster, could you please let me kmnow how you went about doing so.

Thanx, carnie_phil

How much are you willing to spend? If you're not in to soldering things, you could buy a 60v controller and add one more battery, but you would need to some wiring. What size are your existing batteries?

Personally I don't have a problem with soldering, as long as I know exactly what I need to solder. My existing batteries are 4 X 12V connected in series. I believe they are 10AH, but I'm not entirely sure.

You may get more answers from E-scooter owners if you copy/post this onto a new thread in the motorcycle/scooter section, and then delete this one. Just a suggestion, best wishes...

if you need to go fast .. pm me .. i could help you out.

thanks
-steveo

open up the controller so we can see.

see if you can read the printing on the FETs.

can you read the color bands on the big resistor that is first in line with the red power wire going into the controller? you may be abe to use 5 SLA.

stock gio is good on 60v, also good with 1/2 the shunt bypassed (but will start to get warm if pushed repeatedly). Just be sure to run the chassis electrical at 48v and only boost the controler else you will cook the lighting/dash. PM me if you need specifics.

-Noel-

I actually do work for a guy that sells bikes exactly like that (under a different name). I have one of the controllers sitting right next to me opened up, and it has NEC k4145 mosfets, that have 10mOhm resistance. It is a 9 fet design.
This controller is rated for 17a output.

Beware more amps will mean your cheap Chinese SLA batts will die sooner. If faster it will no longer fall under the fiction of a bicycle by sales definition and become a motor vehicle.

Hello,
Im new here, just registered 30 minutes ago. I have been buying and selling these scooters for about three months now and I know them very well. A less expensive way to make a 500W Gio go faster is to change the 16 x 2.50 tires to 16 x 3.00 or 3.25. The motor maxes out at 430 rpms so by increasing the tire size, you are increasing the overal diameter thus making it go faster. Using a hand held GPS, the stock tire brought the bike to 28 kph at best, it never made it to 32 kph. With a 3.25 tire upgrade, it increased it to 34 kph which is a 20% improvement. Theorically, it should be 36 kph if you do the math, however, the motor doesnt have enough power to spin at full RPM under that load. I paid only $25 to get this improvement. You only have to change the rear tire, the front can remain at the stock size.

I am in agreement with the other fellow, you need more voltage, ie a 5th battery but charging it will be an issue as the charger does not charge 60vdc and you need to find a good location to mount it. Either way, you can expect a reduced travel capacity putting additional load on them.

I think an addional brushless motor on the front wheel will help tremendously with torque, climbing and accelleration but again, battery capacity will be reduced.

Using the pedal mechanism, you can install a second sprocket and couple it with another electric motor.

I am currently working on a dual powered GIO. I have an old weed wacker with a built in clutch. I still need to fabricate a couple of brackets to fasten the weedwacker motor in place and add a remote throttle cable, It will bring my GIO to speeds exceeding 65 kph which is way too fast for this scooters stability but hey, lets go for broke.sd

Good luck

Welcome pdadjam7 welcome scooter moped I"ve never seen so many new members in one day! :shock: Oh yea and more volts!! I would look for the blue wire they are talking about and beefing the shunt along with a bigger tire sounds reasonable too.

Again welcome all !! :mrgreen:

does anyone know what is the largest tire size you can put on the rear of a Gio 500 w e-scooter? I currently have 16 X 3.0 tires on. Also where is the best place to get tires from for the Gio?

Thanks

Hi folks: I have a 60V-500W scooter, with five 12V-20AH batteries and a 60V controller that came originally with it. Is it at all possible to modify the bike to run faster? Could I add a 6th battery and switch to a 72V controller? Is there another, better option out there that suits this bike?

I realize I'll have to find a way to charge the sixth battery. Do I need to do this separately or could I buy a special charger?

Back