Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

General Discussion about electric vehicles.
larsb   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1546
Joined: Dec 10 2014 5:12am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by larsb » Nov 15 2019 2:19pm

It doesn’t work at least in my two controllers.
Ride on!

SilverLine   100 W

100 W
Posts: 140
Joined: Oct 09 2017 2:53pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by SilverLine » Nov 15 2019 2:20pm

Btw. I know the under voltage is 60v. But if i just want to connect to the computer without any motor, just to look at the settings in the software. Do i then still need 60v ?

larsb   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1546
Joined: Dec 10 2014 5:12am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by larsb » Nov 15 2019 2:31pm

I suggest you read the manual, or just connect and try.

how i learned the controller? I read the manual and used it.
Ride on!

SilverLine   100 W

100 W
Posts: 140
Joined: Oct 09 2017 2:53pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by SilverLine » Nov 15 2019 4:02pm

To answer my own question.
You can connect on 12s 😀


And I can see and change the voltage value for the throttle

But something is Strange. Carrie told me, they would set up the controller for my Qs mid drive 3000watt.

But these are my settings.
Model number : Em100. This is not true, i have Em150sp.
And motor type : surface Mount. But the mid drive has V-shape right ??

http://www.coot.dk/Gokart/votol-1.jpg

http://www.coot.dk/Gokart/votol2.jpg

Larsb --- > Do you have some screen shots of the correct settings ?? I dont trust the manuel.... Its soooo "chinglish" and mis labeled

larsb   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1546
Joined: Dec 10 2014 5:12am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by larsb » Nov 16 2019 3:55am

Those settings doesn’t matter. The only thing preprogrammed that’s really done by QS is the phase angle setting. The rest needs to be checked and set by the user - and it’s already in this thread.
Ride on!

SilverLine   100 W

100 W
Posts: 140
Joined: Oct 09 2017 2:53pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by SilverLine » Nov 16 2019 6:31am

larsb wrote:
Nov 16 2019 3:55am
Those settings doesn’t matter. The only thing preprogrammed that’s really done by QS is the phase angle setting. The rest needs to be checked and set by the user - and it’s already in this thread.
Carrie told me, that the em-150 always was set up for the qs mid drive motor 3000watt. But to me its look like at least i need to check "v shape magnets" right ? Angel of 60 is okay ? 120 battery amps seems to low also....

User avatar
SilentEnduro   1 W

1 W
Posts: 55
Joined: Oct 10 2019 2:56am
Location: Lviv, Ukraine

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by SilentEnduro » Nov 16 2019 10:27am

larsb wrote:
Nov 15 2019 12:15pm
No, but you can check my rieju conversion thread. I fix a pot throttle with resistors for the votol
Thanks, resistors helped
IMG_20191116_102525.jpg
IMG_20191116_102525.jpg (73.01 KiB) Viewed 1807 times
Another question, I have 24s battery (100.8v max), in Votol's config selected appropriate voltage and everything was fine till full battery charge.
For now controller is detecting by software, software detecting buttons (reverse) and rpm if you rotate wheel by hands, but doesn't react to throttle.
Are there any special secrets to run Votol at 24s?

SilverLine   100 W

100 W
Posts: 140
Joined: Oct 09 2017 2:53pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by SilverLine » Nov 16 2019 10:39am

SilentEnduro wrote:
Nov 16 2019 10:27am
larsb wrote:
Nov 15 2019 12:15pm
No, but you can check my rieju conversion thread. I fix a pot throttle with resistors for the votol
Thanks, resistors helped

IMG_20191116_102525.jpg

Another question, I have 24s battery (100.8v max), in Votol's config selected appropriate voltage and everything was fine till full battery charge.
For now controller is detecting by software, software detecting buttons (reverse) and rpm if you rotate wheel by hands, but doesn't react to throttle.
Are there any special secrets to run Votol at 24s?
What controller ?? Em-150 do not like 24s

How many ohm are those resistors ??

larsb   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1546
Joined: Dec 10 2014 5:12am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by larsb » Nov 16 2019 11:01am

The secret is buying the 96v version :D
You’ll blow the 72V
Ride on!

User avatar
SilentEnduro   1 W

1 W
Posts: 55
Joined: Oct 10 2019 2:56am
Location: Lviv, Ukraine

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by SilentEnduro » Nov 16 2019 11:03am

SilverLine wrote:
Nov 16 2019 10:39am
What controller ?? Em-150 do not like 24s

How many ohm are those resistors ??
resistors - 1.6kOm, perfect for magura, starts at 0.97v


Controller EM-150, in software there is config for voltage:
votol.JPG
votol.JPG (37.69 KiB) Viewed 1797 times

larsb   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1546
Joined: Dec 10 2014 5:12am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by larsb » Nov 16 2019 11:27am

You need hardware capable of the correct voltage, those settings doesn’t allow a 100v max mosfet or cap to be used above 100V. Safe voltage is around 21-22s lipo for a 72V controller

Let’s hope it’s not already broken
Ride on!

User avatar
SilentEnduro   1 W

1 W
Posts: 55
Joined: Oct 10 2019 2:56am
Location: Lviv, Ukraine

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by SilentEnduro » Nov 17 2019 2:12pm

larsb wrote:
Nov 16 2019 11:27am
You need hardware capable of the correct voltage, those settings doesn’t allow a 100v max mosfet or cap to be used above 100V. Safe voltage is around 21-22s lipo for a 72V controller

Let’s hope it’s not already broken
Yeah, it's alive)))
Just put it to 88.99v and works perfectly. Now need to adjust bms and drop 2 cells from battery))
Thanks for clarification.

SilverLine   100 W

100 W
Posts: 140
Joined: Oct 09 2017 2:53pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by SilverLine » Nov 17 2019 2:20pm

SilentEnduro wrote:
Nov 17 2019 2:12pm
larsb wrote:
Nov 16 2019 11:27am
You need hardware capable of the correct voltage, those settings doesn’t allow a 100v max mosfet or cap to be used above 100V. Safe voltage is around 21-22s lipo for a 72V controller

Let’s hope it’s not already broken
Yeah, it's alive)))
Just put it to 88.99v and works perfectly. Now need to adjust bms and drop 2 cells from battery))
Thanks for clarification.
Remember that voltage spikes, easily exceeds that.

Regarding my em-150sp, that seems like a Em-100 in the software. The busbar current is also set at 120amp. But isn´t it higher on em-150sp ?? I was under impression that it was 180 amp ?

larsb   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1546
Joined: Dec 10 2014 5:12am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by larsb » Nov 17 2019 2:35pm

You can set it however high you want with increased risk for explosions. I run 250A but i don’t claim it’s safe.
Last edited by larsb on Nov 17 2019 4:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ride on!

SilverLine   100 W

100 W
Posts: 140
Joined: Oct 09 2017 2:53pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by SilverLine » Nov 17 2019 3:05pm

larsb wrote:
Nov 17 2019 2:35pm
You can set it however high you want with incresed risk for explosions. I run 250A but i don’t claim it’s safe.
You run 250a busbar current on em-150sp ?? :shock: :shock: Could the feel any different going from 120/180a busbar current, to 250a ??

larsb   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1546
Joined: Dec 10 2014 5:12am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by larsb » Nov 17 2019 3:21pm

Yes, off course.
Ride on!

SilverLine   100 W

100 W
Posts: 140
Joined: Oct 09 2017 2:53pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by SilverLine » Nov 17 2019 3:24pm

larsb wrote:
Nov 17 2019 3:21pm
Yes, off course.

Nice to know, that changing numbers actually change settings IRL. The software seems a little buggy. I´m putting this controller on a gokart i´m building. Looking forward to play with these numbers.

Btw. are you using that "speed/boost mode" option in the controller ?? If yes, how is it done. Do i need to connect a wire to B+ or what ?? Or have you just set the 3 speed modes at 99%, and "three speed default gear" at High ??

ZERONEST   10 W

10 W
Posts: 65
Joined: Jul 01 2016 8:34am

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by ZERONEST » Nov 18 2019 5:36pm

been testing my qs2000w motor and votol em100 today, this motor pulls very well indeed, infact its a bit overkill for my little bike! but oh my is it good fun! :lol: :lol:

the controller busbar was pre set to 85 amps and bumping it to 100 made a very noticeable difference and 150 amps in sport mode is pretty insane..

however I notice in the controller config that in sport mode it has a flux weakening value set to 2400/2400 is flux weakening always enabled in sport mode? is it worth leaving this setting as is or am I better of setting the values to 0? i prefer low end torque (not that its lacking any!!!) and not really after a higher rpm or top speed..

a lot of power for 10" wheels!
IMG_20191118_155044856esss.png
IMG_20191118_155044856esss.png (314.47 KiB) Viewed 1514 times

SilverLine   100 W

100 W
Posts: 140
Joined: Oct 09 2017 2:53pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by SilverLine » Nov 18 2019 6:18pm

ZERONEST wrote:
Nov 18 2019 5:36pm
been testing my qs2000w motor and votol em100 today, this motor pulls very well indeed, infact its a bit overkill for my little bike! but oh my is it good fun! :lol: :lol:

the controller busbar was pre set to 85 amps and bumping it to 100 made a very noticeable difference and 150 amps in sport mode is pretty insane..

however I notice in the controller config that in sport mode it has a flux weakening value set to 2400/2400 is flux weakening always enabled in sport mode? is it worth leaving this setting as is or am I better of setting the values to 0? i prefer low end torque (not that its lacking any!!!) and not really after a higher rpm or top speed..

a lot of power for 10" wheels!
IMG_20191118_155044856esss.png
Nice build.
How do you set it in Sports mode, when you drive ?

ZERONEST   10 W

10 W
Posts: 65
Joined: Jul 01 2016 8:34am

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by ZERONEST » Nov 18 2019 6:34pm

SilverLine wrote:
Nov 18 2019 6:18pm
ZERONEST wrote:
Nov 18 2019 5:36pm
been testing my qs2000w motor and votol em100 today, this motor pulls very well indeed, infact its a bit overkill for my little bike! but oh my is it good fun! :lol: :lol:

the controller busbar was pre set to 85 amps and bumping it to 100 made a very noticeable difference and 150 amps in sport mode is pretty insane..

however I notice in the controller config that in sport mode it has a flux weakening value set to 2400/2400 is flux weakening always enabled in sport mode? is it worth leaving this setting as is or am I better of setting the values to 0? i prefer low end torque (not that its lacking any!!!) and not really after a higher rpm or top speed..

a lot of power for 10" wheels!
IMG_20191118_155044856esss.png
Nice build.
How do you set it in Sports mode, when you drive ?
Cheers! Just simply connect the two pins yellow/white and the negative black wire via switch, or simply bridge the connector

SilverLine   100 W

100 W
Posts: 140
Joined: Oct 09 2017 2:53pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by SilverLine » Nov 19 2019 12:50am

ZERONEST wrote:
Nov 18 2019 6:34pm
SilverLine wrote:
Nov 18 2019 6:18pm
ZERONEST wrote:
Nov 18 2019 5:36pm
been testing my qs2000w motor and votol em100 today, this motor pulls very well indeed, infact its a bit overkill for my little bike! but oh my is it good fun! :lol: :lol:

the controller busbar was pre set to 85 amps and bumping it to 100 made a very noticeable difference and 150 amps in sport mode is pretty insane..

however I notice in the controller config that in sport mode it has a flux weakening value set to 2400/2400 is flux weakening always enabled in sport mode? is it worth leaving this setting as is or am I better of setting the values to 0? i prefer low end torque (not that its lacking any!!!) and not really after a higher rpm or top speed..

a lot of power for 10" wheels!
IMG_20191118_155044856esss.png
Nice build.
How do you set it in Sports mode, when you drive ?
Cheers! Just simply connect the two pins yellow/white and the negative black wire via switch, or simply bridge the connector
Thanks man....

User avatar
SilentEnduro   1 W

1 W
Posts: 55
Joined: Oct 10 2019 2:56am
Location: Lviv, Ukraine

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by SilentEnduro » Nov 19 2019 12:51pm

Folks, need additional advise, votol em-150s + qs 138 70h, specs says that it should have 3800rpm on 20s battery, but mine goes over 5k :( without flux...
What might be wrong?

larsb   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1546
Joined: Dec 10 2014 5:12am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by larsb » Nov 19 2019 1:02pm

I think the phase angle shift setting at 60 degrees is already slightly advanced from neutral. This creates field weakening.

kV without flux weakening is 59 in qs report. If you have full voltage, 84V when you test then rpm is 4944
So 5000rpm or slightly above is not necessarily incorrect, depends on test voltage.
Last edited by larsb on Nov 19 2019 1:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ride on!

User avatar
SilentEnduro   1 W

1 W
Posts: 55
Joined: Oct 10 2019 2:56am
Location: Lviv, Ukraine

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by SilentEnduro » Nov 19 2019 1:14pm

larsb wrote:
Nov 19 2019 1:02pm
I think the phase angle shift setting at 60 degrees is already slightly advanced from neutral. This creates field weakening.

kV without flux weakening is 59 in qs report. If you have full voltage, 84V when you test then rpm is 4944
So 5000rpm or slightly above is not necessarily incorrect.
Yeah, hall shift is set to 60.
What should be there to avoid field weakening?

P.s. over 5k I mean 5500-6000 on 75v
Last edited by SilentEnduro on Nov 19 2019 1:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

larsb   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1546
Joined: Dec 10 2014 5:12am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by larsb » Nov 19 2019 1:17pm

Impossible to say without an oscilloscope. Why bother? Motor runs well with this setting.
Ride on!

Post Reply