Intentional short

Should I intentionally dead short a 5s 8ah lipo battery just to see what happens

• 3 you are an idiot who shouldn't be around lipo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 no its too dangerous

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 yes and video it

Votes: 12 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

100volts+

10 kW
I want to intentionally dead short a leaky 5s 8ah battery.

puffed and leaking.jpg

Here is the video I made a couple of days after the post.

[youtube]ga7gQYcnvD4[/youtube]

I seriously doubt there are any good cells in that pack. I certainly wouldn't roll the dice on reuse.

Shorting it out though, that's worth doing.

I seriously doubt there are any good cells in that pack.

It measures over 15.5v so it should do something. and that is after 3 years in an ammo can. I have to prop the phone cam on something though because my wife won't have anything to do with shorting it. My dad says she shows more maturity than me. (that's sad because I'm fixing to retire)

This about you having a learning experience so you can deal with safety better in the future.
I say you should charge it up to the max first... This seems to be important to get a more realistic picture of how bad it can get.
If you really want a show, over charge by around %10 should be a good test.

Do you have an ammocan?

If so, and you do this "test", please see my ammocan / RC LiPo pack build/testing thread about how I modified the can (it's really simple) and try the test in the ammocan, to see if a full-bore burning pack will be stopped by the can from exhausting flame out of teh can itself. (to see if it's able to contain the fire completely)

It'd not only be fun to see tried, it'd also serve a more-or-less scientific purpose. :wink:

if you intend to just throw away the good pouches why not just put it on the bulk charger and overcharge it and measure the temperature of the pack when it finally goes to thermal runaway.

you can use a thermocouple inserted into the pack and run your leads out to the meter so you can tell how hot it is getting as you overcharge it and then we can have some useful info about what temperature of thermal breaker to use for an alarm on the pack charging.

Back