Gear Sensor for Bafang BBS02 Mid Drive *+ other mid-drives?*

Anxiously waiting for the final version...

New one on the way. Cool. Thanks!

Me too! Polish post is kinda slow on updates and testing will take a bit. I don't ride a lot in -1F/-18C, now and expected -9/-22 tomorrow. I am excited and it will get warmer. BTW no brake pad is worth a hoot below freezing!

Still nothing. Tracking still shows no progress beyond the acceptance in Poland. Grrrrrrr

tomjasz said:
Still nothing. Tracking still shows no progress beyond the acceptance in Poland. Grrrrrrr

If it is coming via DHL (postal services) then this is pretty typical in my experience.

Andrew

Seriously?

The samples originally came in 2-3 weeks. WOW!

I did get news that a USA vendor is now onboard and has placed an order. Hopefully that vendor will finally communicate about the product. I've been asked to not release his name until he announces. I was hoping to get some feedback on the product. I'm assuming the bugs have been worked out but so far 3-4 requests for information have gone unanswered. Regardless of the fact I am a customer. Al I can do is shake my head and wonder...

If this gear sensor had come stock on the BBS02 kits, undoubtedly it would have driven many of us nuts until one of the wise folks on here figured out how to disable it. Then there would be a long thread on how to do so.
Be glad your drive did not come with this "feature".

Joe Cool said:

Yawn.

It looks like a better iteration. Since it snowed again I'm not to inspired to ride. And if I do it will be without shifting.
I'll post the new instructions next time on on my computer. I'm not as down on the device as Teslanv and it might have a place on OEM installs or slower old guy bikes. But it definitely isn't suited to Teslanv and the young power rangers and their hunger for faster and more powerful rides. The first try was such a resounding disappointment for those that trailed the samples I got that I wouldn't expect any imprimatur from them regardless of it's function.

Attachments

• GearSensor.com manual V5.pdf
    602.5 KB · Views: 294
Looking forward to a review of it when you finally do get out on the bike, with shifting! Be interesting to see if the foibles have been ironed out.

Michael

tomjasz said:
I'm not as down on the device as Teslanv and it might have a place on OEM installs or slower old guy bikes.

Sorry about the negative vibes here. I really don't mean to be so down on this device. It certainly has a place for some riders and riding styles.

If you understand that the Gear Sensor is a simple on-off switch that is triggered by your gear shifter cable, and you accept that it will trigger the motor to stop momentarily regardless of pedal cadence, speed, pedal (crank) torque, etc. then you will be pleased with it, I am sure.

No negative vibes from me. I understand the differences between users. There's the power rangers and the dorks, I fit in the later. 22MPH is as fast as I ever want to go, Well, at least until I go faster. And BTW I use the phrase with endearment.

From Gearsensor today:

Dear All,

step by step we realised that some of our customers assembled GearSensor by opposite way - by pushing shifting cable into GearSensor from opposite side than where is located LED lens. This one way assembling instructions was included in our previous manuals.
Because current GearSensor housing was originally designed just for one way shifting cable pushing (from the side where is located LED lens), opposite way of assembly may cause problem that the shifting cable takes wrong position inside GearSensor housing . This problem is indicated by non-regular LED blinking , which doesn´t react on all shiftings. If happend this, please remove shifting cable from GearSensor housing and assembly again. During pushing inner cabel into the housing, keep the inner cable vertical and horizontal direction as much as possible parallely with housing longitudinal and width axis, with maximal tolerance +-3 degree. Then please test again whether LED blinks regulary for all shiftings or not. If LED respond to all of shiftings, then there is no any another problem.
Note: opposite way of assembly can´ t cause any GearSensor funcionality problem, it´s just question of assembling.

For all GS which were delivered before April 2015, and in the same time they were assembled by opposite way, is valid above mentioned.

GearSensor which will be produced from the beginning of April 2015: In these GearSensor it will be already possible to push inner shifting cabel from both sides of the GearSensor, without any difference for whatever side you choose. We have already modified shifting cabel guiding inside of the GearSensor housing, which eleminate problems.

Attachments

• foto.jpeg
    foto.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 5,000
hmm.... so short of modifications to make the bbs02 kit basically a 'manual' we are left with expensive torque sensors, or the gearsensor. So, the only place this gearsensor is available in the US is through LetricCycles for $90? You all had me thinking it was $30, haha. I am going to have to draft some inquiries here... I mean if they were reasonably(er) priced, (perhaps similar to an upgrade such as - C965 from C961 display) then everyone would want them around here. No offense to anyone about price, just the way I look at things. I, personally, will be getting one regardless. At least to see exactly how the switch works (which I think I understand already) to see if I can make my own like I do with everything, haha. I can't help it. And I will get my buddy with a 3D printer to make me up a lil control box with the name raised/embedded. I'm telling you, cheap little 3D printers are a hot item for the hobby/tinkerer. Even for more than the hobby tinkerer depending on the specific application. Ok...rambling

As Barents points out, a quick tap on the brake does the same thing. I don't see it as a $90 product, but since Lectric sells a $35 battery base for $75 plus shipping, $90 isn't surprising.

ya, a quick tap on the brakes, or a pushbutton 'clutch' so to speak (wuxing horn button hooked up as a e-brake sensor). i am about to try to link both front and rear brake sensors together to plug them into one slot, and have the pushbutton wuxing e-brake cutoff 'clutch in the other. This way I don't lose any function from either brake, and still get to use the shift 'clutch' if I want by itself.

EM3ev has a button for this function that can use the brake link on the kit.

yea, that is the one i'm talking about. I just want to wire the two brake sensors together, so when I plug in that button everything is still fully functional.

eyebyesickle said:
yea, that is the one i'm talking about. I just want to wire the two brake sensors together, so when I plug in that button everything is still fully functional.
I didn't worry about both brakes being linked since I NEVER brake using a single lever. Habits left over from PTW days. The only safe way to brake on a scooter and MC was using both levers at all times. It's locked into my muscle memory.

I wonder what Lectric did to incorporate.

tomjasz said:
eyebyesickle said:
I didn't worry about both brakes being linked since I NEVER brake using a single lever. Habits left over from PTW days. The only safe way to brake on a scooter and MC was using both levers at all times. It's locked into my muscle memory.

I wonder what Lectric did to incorporate.

I could be wrong but if you buy lectric's version of the BBS the gear sensor doesn't cause the annoying motor startup delay that tapping the brakes does. I thought they'd done some cool mod with Bafang to have a new connector into the controller and some new firmware. Okay, I'm reading between several lines with that so I could be very wrong about that but why else would they talk about 'delays' if you use it with a standard BBS?

A number of us have tested them. The information is all in this thread. Yes Lectric is the USA distributor of the device. The first versions were sensitive to moisture. A problem eliminated in the final version. Yes it does stop the annoying brake tap, and replaces it with a device that does the same momentary stop when you shift. The greasiness works just like the brake tap. A momentary stop to the motor. But for $90. I have one. I like it. But it doesn't respond any different than a brake tap, rather it eliminates one small action. Convenient? Yes. Worth $90? The value is up to the user.

It's hard to sort out until someone reports on the Lectric version. They have renamed the BBS but the photos show 8Fun.
Keefe claims to be in the loop on some phase of the BBS update but is not forthcoming yet. Several of us find it odd that Bafang has not shown a 1000W version or a 100MM version to any other suppliers. At this stage it's all speculation.

tomjasz said:
A number of us have tested them. The information is all in this thread. Yes Lectric is the USA distributor of the device. The first versions were sensitive to moisture. A problem eliminated in the final version. Yes it does stop the annoying brake tap, and replaces it with a device that does the same momentary stop when you shift. The greasiness works just like the brake tap. A momentary stop to the motor. But for $90. I have one. I like it. But it doesn't respond any different than a brake tap, rather it eliminates one small action. Convenient? Yes. Worth $90? The value is up to the user.

It's hard to sort out until someone reports on the Lectric version. They have renamed the BBS but the photos show 8Fun.
Keefe claims to be in the loop on some phase of the BBS update but is not forthcoming yet. Several of us find it odd that Bafang has not shown a 1000W version or a 100MM version to any other suppliers. At this stage it's all speculation.

If you have a look at their product page, the say this;

It is highly recommended that a new shifter cable and housing is used along with a properly tuned rear derailleur for optimal performance.
Worn or damaged shifter cables, cable housing or an incorrectly adjusted derailleur can lead to decreased functionality.
Connects to the dedicated Gear Sensor cable that is included with all e-RAD 500w and 750w drive units.
Tuned specifically for e-RAD Mid Drive Kits.
Compatible with Bafang BBS Motors (BBS01 and BBS02)
When used with 8FUN Bafang BBS Motors, there will be an increased delay when the motor resumes operation after shifting
Gear Sensor will have to connect to one of the two e-brake connectors leaving only one connector left for an e-brake lever or sensor.

To me that reads they have a modified BBS that has its own sensor port and doesn't get the delay like hitting the brakes on a normal BBS.

Back