build your very own Lebowski controller !

I've got an alternate circuit board layout, PCB's in hand, parts arriving within the next few days. but it's based pretty much exactly on the circuit diagrams provided by lebowski..

they're out there, it's not a commercial product, but some people are getting excellent results with their DIY builds.

k2nguru said:
Has anyone built one that could be touched and seen? :p
Of course it exists. Following exactly Lebwoski's example, I ordered 10 PCBs at http://www.quick-teck.co.uk and tons of parts at http://www.digikey,com. And most importantly: 10 brain-chips from Lebowski.
One board and controller went to marcexec in Ireland, he is building a controller combining it with a TO247 powerstage.
Two of our brainboards are ready, one for 48V with a special 12F617 chip from lebowski for lower voltage.
One brainboard for 20S/74V is combined with a 6-FET TO220 IRFP4110 'lebowski-style' powerstage.

Result of the first bench-tests combined with a hub-motor Goldenmotor SmartPie:
With the recommended terminal program (Termite) we were quite quickly capable to do the configuration. There are many options, but the autocomplete-options offered by the chip are really useful. Up to now I was not able to use the 'better' terminal program (Realterm) with the option to save and reload the parameter sets as a hex-file.
Test was with a 50V-Battery. Although we used lebowskis standard 12F617 chip for up to 150V, the voltages for brain and FET-Driver were kept exactly at 5V and 15V even at this low voltage.
After some playing-around with the parameters in the hall-sonsored mode we reached a very satisfying result: The motor runs very quiet and is well controllable with the genius throttle options for 'gas' and regen.
The controller-motor combination will now be included in a bike for heavy real-world testing. Lebowski even offered his on-site support for the next phase!
With what we will have learned from all this, we will nicely finish all our controllers to be used in fast bicycles up to motorbikes (with 4 parallel powerstages).

For the ones who want to follow out there in the Sphere: Many infos appear in the annexed excel (complete parts list, prices, software parameters etc.). Let's share our experiences!
Cheers, Marcel

Attachments

• controller_lebowski_230_150122.xls
    6.2 MB · Views: 178
Will be starting mine soon. Got bits from china to build my uv led light box. That's tonight's project. Then I can do my own pcb. If anyone has spare sets of components they are sell on that would save me loads.ie components for the controller that is.

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking at building a brain to control a 4th gen Honda IMA inverter from an '06 Civic Hybrid. I've seen people reference doing this, but there's not a lot of information out there. I'm hoping to do a thread detailing the results and process if it goes well.

With that said, does anyone have a bare PCB that they'd like to sell me? Or maybe even a populated one?

Thanks!
Cole

coleasterling said:
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking at building a brain to control a 4th gen Honda IMA inverter from an '06 Civic Hybrid. I've seen people reference doing this, but there's not a lot of information out there. I'm hoping to do a thread detailing the results and process if it goes well.

With that said, does anyone have a bare PCB that they'd like to sell me? Or maybe even a populated one?

Thanks!
Cole

Well, mate, you might state where you live for starters :) If in Europe, maybe Marcel (emmgee) still has a spare?
Otherwise a very interesting project, please open a new thread or point to one you have elsewhere. (I saw your posts on the 14kW thread, but this one shouldn't be derailed)

You've got a good point there! Didn't mean to derail this thread. I am in Texas and will definitely start a new thread when I have a bit more of this figured out. Thanks!

coleasterling said:
You've got a good point there! Didn't mean to derail this thread. I am in Texas and will definitely start a new thread when I have a bit more of this figured out. Thanks!

Hi coleasterling,

If you are still looking I am in AZ and I have a few spare boards and might be able to populate one for you if you wish.

PM me.

Cheers

Chris

funzt said:
Thanx for pcb update
Now I may order the new 2.4 IC or does 2.5 come soon?
Nope, 2.50 will be quite difficult I think (will try to add field weakening) and with summer coming (and a new motorcycle in the garage) I won't be spending much time programming

Lebowski said:
and a new motorcycle in the garage) I won't be spending much time programming
What did you get??? :)

I think it needs a zero motor. :)

Wow Lebowski, I'm impressed! The WR250 is a nice little beast.
I was electrically unfaithful too.. and had some Honda CRF250R motocross experiences last week. But - against the guilty conscience - I finally bought myself a Quantya, ready for an upgrade with a different motor than the Lynch and a 20S 74V 400A battery.
Motor options: Zero or EMRAX 207 low voltage AC. Any experiences from the forum members? Other motor ideas to replace the Lynch without too much effort?
Controller options: Lebowski, what else. I will try to get our chips together for the 2.40 upgrade as you proposed. Power stage question still open... most probably 4 parallel "lebowski-style" 6-FET IRFB4110, hoping for 400A_peak with current sensors LEM HASS 200-S (200A_nom 600A_max) 3.125 mV/A.
For sure I will need a lot of help from you for the software setup and the configuration of the power stage for this performance range. If you would be interested we could also bring you another Quantya to play around with it by yourself (no time pressure, street legal with number plate).
Cheers, emmgee

I don't feel too guilty buying the WR250X... its actually the second motorcycle (with ICE) I bought this year.

I bought a 110 cc Honda wave scooter to relive my youth, but sold a 1340 cc 1981 Harley FXS to make room in garage for this.
Similarly, on the 250cc WR I traded in my 4 years old BMW R1200R.

So, from 2540cc combined to 360cc is quite the environmental impact reduction...

P.S. next month I'll make a 1500km road trip on the 110cc, like I used to do 25 years ago on my 50cc . Both the new 110cc and
my old 50cc are Honda SuperCUB descendants....

Hi ,

Where can I find some chips btw I am a UAV guy but still would like to try out...If some one can direct me to a complete board..

Regards
www.vimeo.com/xerofly

I am so glad you wrote....I am looking for a FOC type of controller which you have mentioned in the starting of the post..probably as a finished one to use :D ...thanks so much

Back