FalconEV 19" triangle bag.

MAC/BMC motors make a shit-load of controller heat unfortunately.

I have my controller in bag currently and have to crack the front of the bag open to keep that baby cool, otherwise it really roasts after a long ride ( too hot to touch )

Since I don't have a down tube on my Phantom x and my falcon bag hangs. I use the unused velcro straps to hold my controller out in the breeze... and no one can give me any shit about how the bag is going to come apart cuz I've been using it that way for four months now every day.

IMG_20130620_054538.jpg

Does the FalconEV or em3ev can fit the 60V 10ah battery pack from Ping (http://www.pingbattery.com/servlet/the-18/60v-10ah-lifepo4-lithium/Detail) ?
I didn't realized this pack was so big :)
Weight: 6.20 kg / 13.6 lbs
250x105x150 mm / 9.8x4.1x5.9 inches

Thanks,

*shrug* I can point you to many examples of those bags ripping and tearing under that stress. Typically when they are fully loaded to the brim. You're lucky!

Anyway, i got some em3ev bags in a while back and had a chance to do a serious comparison. The em3ev bag is good, really good. It's got these elastic flaps over the wire holes in the front and back, which will do a much better job of keeping water out. It's got super long velcro straps to attach to the frame, so it will fit super wide tubed aluminum frames better ( i had to cut some of it off on my chromoly bike! ) I see how the battery straps inside could be really useful if you have a nice composite battery, but they aren't really needed for my RC Lipo.

Oh, and it doesn't have that stupid green logo on it. If you were really determined, you could get the em3ev logo off.

So basically, a better bag at roughly the same price.

Old thread, I know, but FYI I have both the falcon EV bag and the em3ev bag, and the EM3EV bag is smaller by quite a bit. I prefer the EM3EV bag, but probably just due to its bigger size. The velcro straps also seem more flexible. The straps on the EM3EV bag might be able to hold as much weight, but they can tear with lateral/folding pressure, almost like paper.

neptronix said:
*shrug* I can point you to many examples of those bags ripping and tearing under that stress. Typically when they are fully loaded to the brim. You're lucky!

Anyway, i got some em3ev bags in a while back and had a chance to do a serious comparison. The em3ev bag is good, really good. It's got these elastic flaps over the wire holes in the front and back, which will do a much better job of keeping water out. It's got super long velcro straps to attach to the frame, so it will fit super wide tubed aluminum frames better ( i had to cut some of it off on my chromoly bike! ) I see how the battery straps inside could be really useful if you have a nice composite battery, but they aren't really needed for my RC Lipo.

Oh, and it doesn't have that stupid green logo on it. If you were really determined, you could get the em3ev logo off.

So basically, a better bag at roughly the same price.

NeezyDeezy said:
...the EM3EV bag is smaller by quite a bit. I prefer the EM3EV bag, but probably just due to its bigger size. ...

Huh?

^-- it's a zen koan... ;)

If you've ever seen "The Big Lebowski" it's full of zen koans. my fav is "The Dude abides."

PS My falcon bag has held together since the summer of 2013.

falcon bag.jpg

Well, i suppose i have to admit to being wrong, huh? :oops:

The em3ev bag has the zipper on the opposite side compared to the falconev bag. Not a big deal but I had to adjust the pigtail cable...

Don't forget that the EM3EV bag actually has padding the on the sides vs no padding on the FalconEV bags

Cresh said:
The em3ev bag has the zipper on the opposite side compared to the falconev bag. Not a big deal but I had to adjust the pigtail cable...

What's wrong with that? are you running the cable out of the zipper instead of through the little port? I love the fact that there are 2 cable out ports (one front and one back) and they are covered with a bit of elastic band on the outside. VERY CLEVER!

I run the controller cable in through the little port so that the connector is inside the bag. Like I said not a big deal, just thought I'd mention it. The bag itself is good quality...

Hi all,

I'm building a electric mountain bike for track riding and cross country.
The motor is ordered : Lighting Rod 1500 watt kit.

I was hoping to get a full suspension bike to build up, however can not seem to find a frame that will fit a triangle pack.

Any thoughts and comments about other mounting ideas OR suggestions for frames that will take a triangle battery pack very welcome :)

Thanks all,
Remus

They are out there, just particular suspension design usually XC twin bottle mounting type.

Watch for new all mountain down tubes that are forward of the bottom bracket, will be a problem for your motor.

I looked by price and dual suspension for new old stock clearance, found a large Merida One Twenty fit the needs for mid drive mount and frame battery.

Alternative option is the German company Additive frame saddle bag V2 that has been reviewed on site here, works with all suspension except triple clamp front forks. Their V1 is the diamond triangle frame bag like this thread is about. I haven't been able to get an email reply from them to sell to me, and don't know any other supplier.

Peace!
20150502_22512521.jpg

Full suspension with a triangle bag is the holy grail :)
Just make sure that if you have a design like that, that you have some kind of plate that prevents shock rub. That's the only hitch.

hiryuu07.jpg

Gotta say that i prefer the em3ev bags for now. You can rip off the logo and make them plain black, like so. They're very similar in dimensions anyway, and better at hiding the wires.

superhiryuu_2015.jpg

Hi neptronix

thanks for the pics. Have given me dome great ideas.

id that a small or large em3ev bag ?

what battery specs have you got in there ?

The shocky sheild is a great idea. What did you make it out of

Yep I'm using the EM3EV bags too (de-badged), same time as buying the kits. I got extra the 2nd time to use as frame bags for other non-electric bikes. It's so convenient, bike-packing has made frame bags popular for regular bikes in that way too, but those are much more expensive expedition bags. My pedal bikes still have room for a litre drink bottle on the seat tube for on-bike access, fully utilising the diamond frame.

On the Merida pictured I've got the 50V 25Ah pack in the EM3EV bag under tension to the head tube with 7.6mm wide 85MPa tensile cable ties outdoor UV rated all daisy chained as one loop, hidden within an old 23c bike tube to not rub the frame. Secondary 4.8mm wide ties of same spec use the cable guide tabs to stay the bag in all directions, the double frame top tube to seat tube is a bonus for this and locking up the bike as well.

The main strap to head tube doubled as a mount to to strap my Lezyne HV bike pump to, but now I've got solid Tannus 32c tyres with 29er wheels in the 26 inch frame as pictured, I don't even need tubes, patch kit or pump anymore. Like bike-packing I have a direct seat post mount rear pack using a Topeak handlebar quick release TourGuide handlebar pack mounted sideways, clears full suspension travel.

PS: only one size of EM3EV bag.

Nice work, so what did you make the rear shock sheild out of, or is it a commercial product ?

Aluminum and steel. The aluminum was spray painted by hand. I used a drill, angle grinder, and file to put that all together. The rest is random crap from the hardware store.. angle brackets, bolts, nuts, a tube clamp used for pipes etc.

hiryuu_torquearm.jpg

90% of this torque arm was done the same way. The rest is part of an ebikes.ca torque arm.

Ghetto fabrication FTW, even if it doesn't look as pretty as what can be done with $10,000's of machines etc that some people have. :mrgreen:

Ghetto cable ties > Ghetto fabrication :lol:

Hope you're not referring to torque arms :shock:

When you have a motor that puts out 100ft-lb of torque or more, with strong regen, you'll learn why that's a bad idea... the hard way :lol:

Just ghetto front, not physics factors :D

Uh... okay, now you're really hurting my brain :lol:

Thanks for the idea.

On a different subject
Is a diy rc lipo battery pack easy to make ?

also do I have to recharge all the cells one at a time ?

Back