10,000 mile club

14147896655_72bebd31fb_n.jpg

jansevr said:
Congratulations, I don't often encounter people who ride more than I do. You have built a beautiful e-bike. How long did it take you to ride 16,000 miles? Bill

thank you! btw - 16,000 is on the CA not the bike or the motor. this is my second hs3540. after the first 10-11000 my axle snapped. that motor was on two other frames. started off with 12s5ah now im riding 20s10ah. so far ive had about 1000 miles on this motor and frame without any issues or maintenance! not even a flat with the razorback tire! and i dont just keep it on the street either. its about 50/50 with the trails...speaking of which my bike is in need of a good wash. ill get some before and after pictures and you'll see i don't baby this thing :twisted:

edit* - i forgot to write how long. haha this is over a period of nearly exactly 3 years (from my first build). but there was a time of about 10-12 months where i was not riding at all

8000 miles a year is a hell of a lot of riding. Way to go.

So much for me all proud I rode 2000 miles last year. When I first got sick, my usual 2-3000 miles a year was cut to more like 200.

Postby DrkAngel » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:23 pm
DrkAngel said:
I passed 10,000 miles, earlier, towards Spring.
Took almost 3 years.
On 3, variously modified EZips.

Yes, all 3 are still fully functional, including my Winter - Mudder.
Winter Mudder is a Mountain Trailz, modded to 36v, plus, a pair of homemade studded tires.
Done me good, through 2 Winters, in upstate New York USA.

Started playing with my Ezip "stepthrough", this Summer ... put another 1000 miles on that already.
It really helps pile on the miles when you can get 30-40 miles per charge!

Passed 20,000 eBike miles.

3000+ miles w/ 2008 Mountain Trailz
Ran with original 24V SLA (16-17mph)
Replaced SLA 10Ah batteries
Tried 8Ah SLA batteries
Tested 7Ah Nimh, then 14Ah Nimh
Went 36V SLA - (23mph)
Retired to spare parts bin after rear hub bearing seat broke

3900+ miles w/2008 Mountain Trailz "Winter Slogger"
Bought immediately after first 2008 MT ... Pre-Christmas Sale
Installed 36V 25A controller-throttle + 1st 16T mod = 27mph
Tested 1st 37V 10.4Ah Li-ion (recycled Laptop cell) battery pack - too small! (overheat - failed cells)
Upgraded to 37V 20.8Ah (recycled Laptop cell) battery pack
Swapped to 20T oem rear gearing, added studded tires and designated my "Snow Beast"
Settled to 33.3V 31.2Ah 18650(recycled Laptop cell) battery pack

6300+ miles w/2008 Trailz "Commuter"
My eaBike ... the one I have usually pedal assisted
16T mod
Changed to DNP 32-11T 7spd freewheel
Kept the high small seat
Added plastic fenders
Added rear turn signals-lighting
Added Kevlar belted low RR tires
Multiple 25.9V 31.2Ah (recycled 18650 cell) battery packs
Some 25.9V 25.92 (Recycled LiPo) use (20+mph)
Tried 22.2V 41.6Ah (recycled 18650 cell) battery pack - (17-18mph)
25.9V 25.92 (Recycled LiPo) - new cells! - (22mph)

7200+ miles w/2009 Trailz LS "Comfort Cruiser"
Put big comfy seat on a suspension post and lowered fully
Big Cruiser tires (Whitewalls)
Added 16T mod
Ran 25.9V 31.2Ah 18650 (recycled Laptop cell) battery pack (~20mph)
Built 25.9V 25.92Ah LiPo (recycled Laptop cell) battery pack for 7000+ miles! (~20mph)
22.2V 41.6Ah (recycled 18650 cell) battery pack (16-17mph) - too wimpy :(
Went 33.3V 31.2Ah for the clear road portion of Winter ... spoiled myself!

Battery Builds
Comfort Cruiser
16T Mod - re gearing the eZips
Homemade Studded Tires

i put 2200miles on my first bike...bafang with 36v,12amp ping[gone]....46oo on my tadpole trike[still running]36v,2oamp a123....1900on my first two wheel woody[gonr] and a little over 2300 on the seconf woody that is now running 14s 20amp a123 .1600w cyclone motor through a nuvinci360... about 11000miles... eyes not good enough for drivers license forover two years. :mrgreen: .

Well over 10K on the Giant with BMC V2S mostly although I put a couple hundred on it with a V2T. My only transportation for three years due to head trauma but able to drive again so less miles on the bike, in the rain, but I still commute on it daily.

Took me a while to find this thread to post this:

Back on 9-9-14, I posted in the CB2 thread:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12500&p=945743#p944774
While I was looking at stats, I found I am about to roll over to 10,000 miles! (I'm sure I've actually passed that, but not all themileage on this frame is actually on this CA; I've forgotten to transfer some now and then during resets and repairs and whatnot). I will probably hit the actual mark tomorrow on my way to work, as my ride to and form owrk today is not quite long enough to do it, I think. Or maybe I'll just ride around the block when I get home tonight till it rolls over. :)

Since then I've done at least another 25 miles, maybe more (I forgot to look before I came in), so I have definitely exceeded 10,000 miles now.

And CrazyBike2 has only seriously broken (frame/etc-wise) a few times in all those miles. :lol:

30 miles per day commute, this took about 3 years. Same battery, two motors, two sets of tires and maybe 5 flats.

silviasol said:
Where do you get the mile reading tool? What is it called?
The actual maker of those is Grin Tech http://ebikes.ca ; they are available from a number of places around the world nowadays. The reason they are not cheap is they have a whole lot of features you don't find in either a watt meter or regular speedo/odo, and they are not yet a widely-in-demand product all around hte planet like those other things are, so not nearly as many of them are made and so economies of scale haven't dropped their cost-to-manufacture yet.

But if all you want is an odometer (or speedometer), you can get those for $10 or less as a "bicycle computer".

amberwolf said:
silviasol said:
Where do you get the mile reading tool? What is it called?
The actual maker of those is Grin Tech http://ebikes.ca ; they are available from a number of places around the world nowadays. The reason they are not cheap is they have a whole lot of features you don't find in either a watt meter or regular speedo/odo, and they are not yet a widely-in-demand product all around hte planet like those other things are, so not nearly as many of them are made and so economies of scale haven't dropped their cost-to-manufacture yet.

But if all you want is an odometer (or speedometer), you can get those for $10 or less as a "bicycle computer".

Really wanted to track the total miles I use and have the amp/watt reading along with it. Might pick it up next spring. Is there another cheaper gadget that does the same but just doesn't have a display? I remember there was this one that was just a board and had all these features and an option to add a display if you bought another part. Then after a ride you can hook it to your usb and view everything on your computer.

reached 10123miles..one two wheel,one recumbent trike, two wood bikes... the recumbent[used for trails]and one woody[used for the city] still going strong....me???? :mrgreen:

Cresh said:

30 miles per day commute, this took about 3 years. Same battery, two motors, two sets of tires and maybe 5 flats.
What battery?

IMG_20121126_165411.jpgIMG_20121214_100925.jpgAfter 3 years and 9 months I finally hit the 10000 mile mark.
I retrofitted an EV Global ebike with a Yescom USA 1000 watt hub motor from eBay and a 100 Volt 10 amp/hr. battery LiPo Battery in December 2012. The first set of LiPo batteries lasted 450 cycles and 8500 miles.
The photo taken shows the 10000 mile milestone being breached. I built a new LiPo pack with 100 Volts and 13.2 amp/hr. at the 8501 mile mark.
In the time it took to get to 10000 miles, the only real issue I had was with rear tire blowouts and flats. I purchased 7 tires and 5 tubes in the 45 months that I have been riding. I also had to replace my Hyperion balance charger due to the balancing ports malfunctioning. Total cost of maintenance in that time was ~ $300.00. This works out to be about .03/mile. Not too shabby considering my SRT8 Challenger gets 11 miles/gallon.

I was wondering how many others breached the 10000 mile mark and what maintenance cost did you incur during that time.

Attachments

• 10000 mile.jpg
    10000 mile.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 2,123
Passed 30,000 eBike miles.
but,
Most impressively, just hit 10,000 on a single $316 2013 eZip Trailz LS.

file.php

2013 eZip Trailz LS

I'm hitting about 15,000 miles on this system (separate from my leg pedaling miles and other ebike miles :) )
That $60 EBay controller and scooter motor combo been thru so many punishing battery draining sessions without a whimper.

It's been working out to about 3500 miles a tire. And its been the same brake pads in the drum brake the whole time, and still stops like a champ.

From putting the first one together as lark

early.JPG

Then liking it surprisingly much, and riding it until the frame bent and moving all the parts to this.

cracked.JPG

Then to this after cracking...

View attachment 2

Then the motor and controller met their match in a frame that could handle them.

KIMG0002-640x360.JPG

Party wagon mode... pizza and a cooler of beer...lol.

KIMG0456.jpg

There's been other more conventional ebikes along the way, but the nostalgia of this being the one where I learned about mislabeled generic controllers, and overvolting, and needing to mismatch wire colors for Halls and throttles and whatnot, and 72v being able to jump a pretty good airgap, and having it surviving that and riding better than ever with more range and speed handling on each version makes every mile on it fun.

Back