Great TV Shows!

""Weird Al" on The Dr Demento Show (Part 1)"
[youtube]TcqhiU8t4YM[/youtube]

(In Part 2, Al parodies the car industry.)

BURP

NOT a "TV Show" exactly, but how "new tech" gets attacked (Watt may seem familiar to some in the EBike Nation).
[youtube]uArJrIiIptk[/youtube]

I believe the average mentatality of the veiwer is decreasing rapidly.. people are raving about comic book hero movies and tv shows.. comic books that I stoppedreading before I was tweve years old... I considered them too childish.. I am now 88 :lol:

From Netflix: Sense8
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sense8 said:
Sense8 tells the story of eight strangers from different cultures and parts of the world, who, in the aftermath of a tragic death in which they all experience through dreams or visions, suddenly find themselves mentally and emotionally connected – an evolutionary leap of technological origin. While trying to figure why this happened and what it means for the future of mankind, a mysterious and powerful man named Jonas tries to bring the eight together...
Very well done, rich in texture & dialog, characterization... TV at its best.... Netflix... binge watch!

"TV at its best". Suspected code phrase like "military intelligence" or (Insert "politician name here") *promises* to (insert fable here and there)".

LockH said:
"TV at its best". Suspected code phrase like "military intelligence" or (Insert "politician name here") *promises* to (insert fable here and there)".

'Russian Politics and Law Enforcement'

Inspired by the (Supposedly) nonfiction 'Nothing is Real and Everything is Possible' and the shocking expose 'Red Notice,' we have the saga of of corrupt Russian government officials and police who lie, cheat steal; then of course fly around the world living it up on the proceeds as they just can't do back home.

When they annexed Crimea, there were no additional sanctions that could be placed on the Russians, they'd already been slapped with it all because of the events told of in 'Red Notice.' Oh, imagine a world where a crooked corporate executive doing his best Michael Douglas in 'Wall Street' imitation saying he's going to rip off the investors ". . . .Because we CAN!" Vladimir Putin started off as one hell of a successful corruption fighter with quite a team of lieutenants bringing down the billionaires. But overnight the war on corruption ended and suddenly Putin appeared to be one of the richest men in the world.

This would be one hell of a drama series. It would be even better as a reality show (As in truth is sometimes stranger than fiction) but they might suddenly feel the need to bump off the camera crew to keep something secret.

Ah, the shows I could create if I was in a position to do something about it. . . .

I would be surprised if it hasn't come up, but I gotta say gameofthrones is my newest fav. Just started this year and am now up to current. I have been highly entertained routing for 'good' but gotta say I called it just based off the name. (world power structure will always kill the good) The good die young. Evil wins in 'this life'. I don't know the book(s) or ending, but I hope the author makes a good point of this. Happy endings are philosophical/

A couple of shows I really liked as a kid were "Whirlybirds" and "Sky King" (Dad was a WWII squad leader). 8)
Whirlybirds was a show about the adventures of a helicopter pilot service and Sky King flew a Twin Cessna based at a field in the high desert. :D
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whirlybirds

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_king

It's great to watch episodes of old shows on the world wide waste of time. :lol:

Dang, so I went ahead and read about those shows. Why am I not surprised 'Sky King' had it's own decoder ring? Afterall, ". . .a competent and intelligent law enforcement officer, depended on his friend Sky's flying skills to solve the harder cases."

Yeah, you can solve crime and save the world from spies by flying around in a plane or helicopter, or jumping out. ('Ripcord.') Oh, and scuba. ('Sea Hunt.') Let's not forget the Highway Patrol need only talk back and forth on the radio. ('Highway Patrol.') These were considered among the most exciting shows of the 1950's. All this at the same time that they were riding around on horses and shooting it out on westerns.

Born & bred in the '50's, I got more TV than mom & dad. Parent's proudest moment was when I was the star on Romper Room, packaged up for consumption by the TV audience. Living great was buying up the stuff advertised. Did I mention my dad's nickname was Sky King and he flew around in a Cessna, Texas, like a cloud cowboy? We're all fictional characters born of dreams & hope.
attachment.php

"62 even; over and out."
"2150 by....."
"Car 54? Where arrrrr you?"
"I see Lucy, and I see Jimmy, I see Suzy and there's George and Millie!"
"Put another candle on your birthday cake, You're another year old today!"
"Red light. Green light. Red light. Ohhhhh!"
"Gee, Mr. Wilson!"
"If I could talk, I'd say 'We'd better go buy some more.'"
"Big Frank; the Man from Morrell."
:lol:
Sorry Dad, I didn't grow up to be an astronaut. Happy Father's Day everyone!

Well, though I'd added True Detective to the list, but had not, so corrected that mistake. Season one with Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson playing the detectives was gripping. By the end we're convinced of the depravity of human nature with a sub-plot of some attempting to redeem themselves against all odds. The scenes of Carcosa [youtube]9d3qFZdGnwo[/youtube]
... should go down as the best mix-up of reality with the dark occult TV has to offer.

But now, we're into season two and its a whole new story. Interestingly, “The second season of True Detective will follow the death of Ben Caspar, the corrupt city manager of a fictional California city who’s found brutally murdered amid a potentially ground breaking transportation deal that would forever change freeway gridlock in the state. Interesting here because isn't that Elon Musk's vision with the hyperloop?

For snips & recaps, check out http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/true-detective/

Has anyone mentioned Halt And Catch Fire yet? It's a stunningly good series charting a company cloning IBM's BIOS and making their own PC.

Also if they can make Humans - where is Season 3 of Real Humans. :x English versions of Scandinavian series are never as good.

Now Play, July 2015
True Detective Season 2
Mr Robot Season 1
Ray Donovan Season 3
Extant Season 2
Defiance Season 3
Zoo Season 1
The Making of the Mob: New York Season 1
The Brink Season 1
Humans Season 1
Dark Matter Season 1
Killjoys Season 1
Maron Season 3

Most anticipated TV show to premier in the fall:
Westworld from HBO, from the book by Michael Crichton, "a dark odyssey about the dawn of artificial consciousness and the future of sin," the series tells the story of a futuristic theme park called Westworld.

These are of the classic variety- not quite antiques yet, but gettin there!
[youtube]aqcQUmKJEK8[/youtube]
[youtube]Mo8Qls0HnWo[/youtube]

And the one I actually still watch presently. Tho I may rewatch the others near to my deathbed, cuz I really thought they were cool too once.

[youtube]LBIgXhiOpeQ[/youtube]
I'm whistling it now- that rascally lady's man, and that ferrari!
And lets not forget . . . . H I G G I N S !!!!!!!!!

I like Dragons Den and Shark Tank. I was into A&E Law & Order, then L&O Criminal Intent.
I liked The Apprentice and Celebrity Apprentice. But I havent watched in the last 5 or so years.
Same thing with Survivor, except thats been 10 years now.

Currently I like Neil deGrasse Tyson's Star Talk.

I used to just absolutely love Power Block on Spike, particularly Extreme 4x4 and other truck shows, or classic car shows in that time slot.

I dont watch to much TV anymore. I used to love Jay Leno too, watched him up until the end. He has a new show now on vehicles from his garage, Jay Lenos Garage, is cool.

From an earlier post
arkmundi said:
.... Right now, its a toss-up between Game of Thrones and Penny Dreadful...
Well, S02E10, the season finale of Penny Dreadful just aired, so we're past the season for both shows now and Penny Dreadful came out on top, nudged out the Game of Thrones, for the top spot in the list, second only to Cosmos.
the show progressed it started to build itself around the mysterious and tortured clairvoyant Vanessa Ives. Fueled by a visceral, intensely committed performance by Eva Green, Ives gradually comes to embody what Penny Dreadful is all about: outcasts learning to accept their suffering lot, embrace their darker, serpentine paths through life and eschew the normality they privately coveted. As a priest says at the end of the first season, being touched by a demon is “like being touched by the backhand of God”...

... Further, the quiet, understated scenes between John Clare and Vanessa in the catacombs of the cholera ward allow themes to blossom that few other shows would dare cultivate: God, salvation, theodicy, our responsibility to one another, those truly universal hopes of being accepted and being loved.

It’s especially in these moments, when characters are both vulnerable and direct, fragile and fiercely honest, facing up the why of human existence with near-Shakespearean poise that Penny Dreadful gains ground on the spectacular but vapid Game of Thrones.
And that was it for me as well, clinching the top spot in the list, the outstanding near-Shakespearean script and its consummate delivery by the actors.
These are protagonists we might really come to care about. In other words, the kind Game of Thrones no longer deals in.

Back